It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 09:00 PM   #31
Veteran
(male)

lovinthev8 HB User
Re: What's your opinion of certain age gaps in relationships?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy0607 View Post
I'm 10 years older than my husband.....wanna talk about age differences???
Point taken. Thank you!

And I know I opened this thread under the intended subject of age differences, but it kinda re-vamped itself into a "stages of our lives" differences. But, I think maturity wise we're on the same level (I guess that kinda docks me a point but, oh well), despite the fact she may be entering college while I am done.

Ah well!

Old 08-31-2008, 10:35 PM   #32
(female)

Niclolu HB User

There are many successful relationships out there that works despite age differences and what stage of life he or she is in at the moment. Couples do well when they are at the same maturity level, have the similar interests, independently pursuing goals and essentially, are one another's best friends.

You are both young in age yet mature, so taking a chance on a relationship is something you have time to do. If you both feel strongly about one another, I say go with it and enjoy one another. If you are willing to commit to one another, everything else is insignificant.

I understand being cautious and being afraid of getting hurt. On the other hand, giving in wholeheartedly to a loving relationship is a beautiful experience and sometimes worth the risk.

Last edited by Niclolu; 08-31-2008 at 10:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #33
Veteran
(male)

lovinthev8 HB User

What's going on everybody? I wanted to kind of update you folks here on what's happened since I posted last.

Well, we've been dating and doing great. Our relationship is going strong. Her family and my family both click and we've just got something great going on. She graduates in several days and is so ready to be done and away from that place.

Interestingly enough, I turned 23 recently. Her and I are 4 years and about 2 months apart, so right now we're in that 2 month area where we're "5" years apart until she'd turn 19. We had a short talk this evening and she kinda looked at me like, wow, you're 23. I said so? She didn't have much of a reaction, so I just blurted out my entire thought process on the entire subject.

I said I'm not dating you "just because." I've dated girls my age and I've dated a girl that was 2 years older than me. I said there's a reason that I'm with you, and it's because you're more fun and more mature than all of them. You know how to handle important situations with logic and common sense and you also know how to rock out and just have fun.

Needless to say, it seemed like that area of the conversation kind of sealed the deal. Now granted, we've been dating for over 9 months now, and the age thing hasn't really come up that much. Every now and again you'd hear a remark and we'd talk about it for a minute and it'd be over. But I was just like, seriously? 4 years? How is that that big of a gap to worry about? Then I proceeded to name several couples we know who are 4 years or more apart - INCLUDING both her parents and my parents.

But, like I said, that conversation seemed to get diminished the very few times it came up. I think the only reason it came up this time was due to me turning 23 while she's 18, which I don't know if I'm being naive here but I don't even consider that to be earth shattering. If I was 27 I can see an eyebrow being raised at me dating an 18 year old. What do you guys think?

But anyway, we're doing great and things are strong. I appreciate the help I previously received from the users on this forum and I'm anxious to see if anybody else has any input, both positive or negative.

Thanks again!

Last edited by lovinthev8; 05-25-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:52 AM   #34
Veteran
(female)

Ely4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB User

Quote:
Well, we've been dating and doing great. Our relationship is going strong. Her family and my family both click and we've just got something great going on.
You have a great relationship, stop worrying about the age gap, which isn't huge, and will seem even less of a gap as you both get older.

My Mum is 7 years older than her BF, and they've been together now for almost 17 years and I've never seen her so happy.

So my advice would be to stop worrying about it and enjoy what the two of you have together

Old 08-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #35
Veteran
(male)

lovinthev8 HB User

I just wanted to bump this up here since the thought of my thread crossed my mind randomly.

Her and I are doing great and loving every minute we spend together. We are shortly approaching our 1 year anniversary in another two weeks. My job recently turned from part time to full time, so I'm busy with that. Meanwhile, she decided college wasn't the route she wanted to go because with the line of work she's interested in, there's really no college necessary since pretty much all of it deals with on-the-job training and a know-how you acquire from dealing with certain animals. She is currently working closely with animal care... not veterinary, but rehabilitation, physical therapy to dogs, taking care of them (whether it's post-surgery or just for a week while the family is away) and working full time and making almost as much as me, and I have a degree in IT!

Haha, but anyway, thanks to everybody who took the time and patience to read through my posts and help me out. We're working hard at both of our jobs and hopefully we'll be able to find a small place within another year's time.

Thanks, everyone.

Closed Thread