It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

AliceT HB User
family relationship issue

Hi I would like some advice please.
I have a sister-in-law who is very difficult and has major issues of jealousy. SHe has done a great deal of damage to the relationships of my brother and us,his family. She has said and done things to me that have been incredibly hurtful, including telling me that my brother didn't care about me or my kids. SHe verbally attacked me one day when I was breast feeding my son, telling me I was fat, didnt have a sense of humour and that I was competing with her for her husband/my brother, called my degroitory names and accused me of not respecting their marriage. all this because I was being 'too excited' that she was pregnant with their first baby and then I was made to apologize for offering my maternity clothes (she was offended because she thought I was fat) . It seems that I am damed if I do and damed if I don't.
We haven't been invited to their house for three years and are not included in any celebrations for their kids. When my nephew was born I was not told by them but heard on the gossip grape vine. MY SIL refused to speak to me because apparently I didn't give her a big enough hug at a family function....
All this has contributed to my depression (I suffer depression, am on AD's and, I admit, am overly sensitive to this situation!). I wont pretend I am perfect and I am sure that I have done things to offend her, but never deliberately or knowingly. And to be fair she can be great fun at times. You would like her if you met her.
We have always invited them to family functions like birthday party's etc. We have always done the right thing even though it makes me very very anxious to have them in my home.
Last year we christened our three children, we sent my brother and SIL an invitation but they didn't acknowledge it or the emails that I sent. They didn't turn up.
Now they are christening their son and I have to acknowledge, have done the right thing and have asked us to come although my husband and I feel very unwelcome. However I just don't want to go. My brother issued the invitation, my SIL wont speak to me unless she has too.
I know that I should be the big person and do the right thing and go because it is all about the child and not us. Two wrongs dont make a right. But I just feel so hurt by their non attendance at our children's christening (it was a big deal - my husbands family came from another country to attend).
What do I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2008, 07:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soibhan HB User
Re: family relationship issue

Hi Alice! I'm so sorry this situation is causing grief to you and your family. I understand having over-sensitive feelings because I've always had that problem too. As an outsider looking in, I think you should keep trying to be sister, sister-in-law, and aunt to your brother's family. You'll never have any regrets if you do the right thing. Family relations are usually left up to the women in a family, so don't be offended if your brother doesn't seem as involved as you wish he was. If you truly love your brother and want to be a part of his life and involved with his family, keep doing the right thing and eventually it'll pay off. Hang in there, Alice!
Soibhan

Old 09-02-2008, 12:39 AM   #3
(female)

Niclolu HB User

Hi Alice. All the things that you shared about what your SIL has done are examples of unexcusable behavior. She is an adult behaving like a temperamental and spoiled child. Regardless of the circumstance, a mature adult would reign in his or her emotions for the sake of the children. I would not want her negative influence around my family. It is too bad that your brother supports her nasty behavior. Shame, shame, shame! Nonetheless, it is his wife and they are bound by their children.

Personally, I would not go out of my way to connect with her on a day-to-day basis. I will however, continue to invite them to special events and if they do not attend, no skin off my nose. The ball was in their court and if they choose to drop it, they have only themself to blame.

I would be the bigger person and attend the christening. Do it for the child sake - they are the innocent victims here. Apparently your brother is sticking his neck out and inviting you. As soon as your SIL start to act up, I would see that as a signal to leave. Do not allow her to treat you like that. That is just abusive.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User

Is the christening ceremony taking place in a church? is there going to be a party or a reunion in their house afterwards? I know how you feel. Maybe your husband and you would agree to a middle way solution: just go to the church and leave after it is over.

But then again I am thinking about your kid(s). They probably would like to meet and play with their cousins, or not? If they have an urgent and genuine desire to do so, I would perhaps make the sacrifice to attend the party, just for their sake, but leave before the end. Are your kids old enough to understand your problems with your SIL? You just don't need to make them take sides. That is not their problem.

If you make up your mind not to come at all, you could at least send the family a note or a card (by ordinary mail, not e-mail) with a few good words for the kid.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:43 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

AliceT HB User

Thank you all for you very sound words. My kids are not old enough to understand the issues and even if they were I wouldnt burden them with them as I firmly beleive that people should make up their own minds...OUr kids enjoy their cousins company but dont really know them and 'could go without' (sounds callous I know but there really isnt any relationship there)
The christerning is in a church with a casual style reception afterwards. We have been asked for 'a drink' but I think others have been asked 'for lunch'. I kind of like the idea of going to the church and skipping the reception but I am worried what that would look like as I suspect that my SIL will throw it back in my face (she usually does, my mum doesnt help).
I agree that this is for the kids, we, as adults must model doing the right thing. I have to be the bigger person and go but how? Church only or church and reception...
I try to stay away as much as possible.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User

Well, if it is not that important for your kids, then I would choose to go to the church only. Don't worry about your sister-in-law throwing it back in your face. Will she actually have a chance to do so? If she hasn't changed over these years, she will talk behind your back, anyway. So let it be. I think you and your husband are grown-ups and have all the right in the world to avoid any situation that will make you feel really embarrassed and uncomfortable. It is not so much a retaliation as it is avoiding a harmful environment for you.

Anyway, one never knows. Perhaps in the church you both will be sincerely welcome and may notice a genuine difference in your SIL's attitude. In this case, if she and your bother are really warm and affectionate towards you, you may consider a quick change of your plans and come to the drink or whatever.

Your Plan A should read: come only to the church.

Your plan B shoul read: depending on how they treat you there, you might admit a further step.

Don't be totally inflexible.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I'd cut her out of my life, and if your brother doesn't have enough testosterone in his system to stand up to her, I'd cut him out too......
you're not losing anything.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:54 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

AliceT HB User

Pendulum - I like your style and I think will go with your plan A and B and see how it goes. This thought almost makes me feel comfortable. Thanks. I completely agree with the need to avoid a negative environment but I also agree that to do the right thing by the kids is the important aspect.
rosequartz - I also completely agree with you too. I am slowly working them out of my life but I am finding it emotionally very difficult and it effects me deeply. The reality is that they wouldn't be worried and that is just as hurtful as the abuse. The mind and emotions work in strange ways hey!? I do have to consider the big picture but I also have to protect myself and my family. I dont really know how to make the break. I want my children to know their family, but then again I dont want them to know people who dont really care about them...family's...hmmmm

Old 09-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

negot HB Usernegot HB User

I am with Rose. I have a similar family situation, but my SIL is my husband's sister. She reminds a lot of your SIL. I tolerated my SIL for several years and then I distanced myself from her and her family. My husband never had any guts to tell his sister anything, although it eventually became clear to him as well that she is toxic.
Alice, you don't need toxic people in your life, get away from her slowly, but surely.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:21 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

AliceT HB User

Hi Negot. Even though you have successfully worked your SIL 'out of your life' do you still see them at fanily functions etc? Or have you complety cut her out? Can you cut someone out enough but still tolerate family functions do you think?

Old 09-03-2008, 06:23 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

negot HB Usernegot HB User

Hi Alice, we never have any family functions. My own family doesn't live in this country and my husband's family is spread all over the country. Important events in our family, like the birth of our children, my SIL has treated like not a big deal, barely deserving of even an acknowledgment.
I haven't seen her for several years now. It is hard for you if you have to see her at family functions. You could try to have as minimal contact with her as possible once you do see her.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:46 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

AliceT HB User

I agree. I have almost no contact if I can help it and when I do see her I am a picture of happiness and friendlyness. The result is that I am always compelety emotionally drained and anxious. I also feel frustrated with myself as I would just love to stand there and yell at her what I truely felt, that is something I just would never do becouse it's what she did to me and it hurt like hell. I just cant behave like that.
Thank you all for your advice.
I find it interesting that lots of wonderful things can be going on in our lives but it is the one or two awful things that suck up our emotions and energy. We must practise at turning it around...advice to self...;-)

Last edited by AliceT; 09-03-2008 at 08:47 PM.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

Alice -

It sounds like you are reasonably thinking through the entire situation which is very mature and the right thing to do...although, I also realize that is leaving you feeling drained. Things just shouldn't be this difficult, should they?

I'm just curious - do you have any relationship with your brother separately from his wife? Do you ever have a quick chat or an email without her involved or is she involved in all aspects of communication?

Old 09-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

AliceT HB User

Very interesting question luckydarlin! I actually went to see my doctor yesterday and we talked about this christening and one of the points that he raised was my communication with my brother. Basically I said I tried to distance myself as much as possible. But as he pointed out, this is causing me too much anxiety and pain. His suggestion was that I attempt to reestablish contact with my brother, very slowely and very separtly from his wife, things like emails, sms, the odd phone call. He rationale was that eventually my brother would realise that what his wife was saying about me was rubbish and that actually I'm quite a nice person who is really only interesting in a straight forward brother sister relationship. My concern was that that was undermining his relationship wiht his wife which is not my place or right. As Dr pointed out that it might actually strengthen their relationship becouse brother is going to (hopefully) stand up to wife and say this is all rubbish and to stop...(brother gets pretty hard time from wife)
Dr was pretty keen for my family to go to the christening and reception. As he said, what more powerful way to get back but to show her how gracious and normal we are, makes her look like a fool...

Last edited by AliceT; 09-04-2008 at 08:21 PM.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:55 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

I can understand your concern of undermining your brother's relationship with his wife, but it is also your right to have a brother/sister relationship with your brother so if his wife has an issue with that, that is her problem to work out. I'm not saying you need to start communicating with your brother and then "tell on" his wife to him because let's be honest, it's still his wife and the mother of his children so there is a fine line there, but if you can open a door with your brother, it will make things easier for you.

I like my brother's wife; however, over the years I have realized there has been a bit of static at times between me and my brother. It took me a while to realize that although his wife can be a nice person, it seemed she sometimes liked to cause a little friction within our family. I took to calling my brother separately once a week or once every two weeks on his cell phone and just doing a "wanted to check in and see how everything was going". I'd always ask how his wife and children were doing so it didn't seem like I had a grudge, and we have now re-established a really great relationship between the two of us. Is it jealousy on the wife's part that they don't want their husband close to their sister? I'm not sure, but I only have one brother so I wanted to do my best to keep a relationship between the two of us. If all goes well, your sister-in-law will become kind because she won't dare to be otherwise.

That being said, once you do re-establish a relationship with your brother, if your sister-in-law becomes too overbearing, at that point you can very nicely (and carefully) mention a current situation to your brother and then he will hopefully step in and handle matters, but for now it's best to just start fresh with him. ...and if your sister-in-law doesn't like it, she'll have to get over it.

Good luck...I really hope things work out for you and I hope your brother eventually realizes how lucky he is that you have put so much care and energy into trying to make things work.

Last edited by luckydarlin; 09-05-2008 at 05:57 AM.

Closed Thread