It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
(female)

PuffinStuff HB User
Can you die from a broken heart?

Do you ever sit there and have your whole body just feel like it's going to collapse from feeling the pain of rejection? From constantly thinking about what used to be? From wondering who will get to feel your loved one's hands on their body since it's no longer YOU? Oh GOD IT HURTS.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Larrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB User
Re: Can you die from a broken heart?

been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Yes, it hurts like no other hurt in the whole world. But I think it's worst the first time you are really in love with someone and they don't return that love, or worse yet, they return it with disrespect, dishonesty, what have you.

But no, physically, you cannot die from a broken heart. You can deal with it in the short term and have poor coping skills and not deal with it well which could lead you to do something to hurt yourself, but you won't actually die of a broken heart. It just feels like it. There is such a thing as broken heart syndrome, I forget the technical term for it, myocardio stress something. But it looks and feels like a heart attack, but no permanent damage is done to the heart muscle.

it takes time and lots of hard work and the will to move toward a healthier place that doesn't hurt as much. I'm so sorry you're hurting. Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baby_hands HB User

I know how your feeling.
You get to a point where your not even afraid of death..committing suicide isnt an option though..because that doesnt make the situation any better. You'll never get to see a brighter day if you give up.

Its nice to know I'm not the only one who feels that way.

The thing about life is, you never know whats going to happen next. Sometimes its worth sticking around for.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

A broken heart may never heal, it gets you to thinking why am I just exzisting...why do I go on living ...why does the sun keep on shinning, why do I have to keep on hurting so much.

Theres not any anwswers to that, the only thing you can do is keep yourself busy .. TO busy to think/Dwell and when you lay down at night your so tired you just fall to sleep without thinking...but always no matter how long your always going to have that ''what if'' in the back of your mind. just try your best to put it past you and move on with your life meet someone new and rekindel what you may have had, nothing will be the same but remember your never a failure if you don't stop trying.
REFRESH yourself....STOP THINKING AND DEWELLING AND GO ON WITH YOUR LIFE.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

elatedgiraffe HB User

If you could die from a broken heart I would be dead already

Yes, it is so painful. It feels like death and at times you wish it was death.

I don't fully agree with the other poster about just keeping busy all the time because you can't run from it. Its not healthy to avoid all these crazy feelings you are having and not deal with them. Sometimes you need to feel it for a minute. Its part of the grieving process. Do some surfing for it on the web and you will find that your symptoms are not uncommon and you will also find new ways to cope with all your feelings. If you run from it all it will eventually catch up with you. The best thing to do is feel, embrace it, love yourself like your own best friend, cry, write, scream, whatever it takes. Some people even get on anti-depressants for a little while to get to back to at least functioning again. It is hard, broken hearts, I think is the worst emotional pain in the world. Especially as your other thread says, you hold onto till the end. You fight for love.

My heart goes out to you as I am trying to recover from a broken heart as well. Good days and bad days, still more bad days, but life isn't always easy and sometimes we have to let go, and let life happen on its own for awhile and see where we end up. Just try your best to take care of yourself.

Hugs~

Old 12-20-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
(female)

xpcandy HB Userxpcandy HB Userxpcandy HB User

I haven't died from a broken heart yet but I know that I certainly wish I was dead!

Old 12-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cathy1 HB Usercathy1 HB User

I've felt like I wanted to die several times from a broken heart and here I am happy now. I made it through those 3 times broken when at the time I never thought I would. As I look back at 2 of them Im so glad in retrospect they never worked out - hindsight 20 20.

There are other people out there to help heal your heart when you're ready. Sometimes it takes a long time especially if there are issues you're dealing with already such as guilt about something you may or may not have done.

Often I look back at how long it took me to get over things. One time I went on antidepressants to simply help me cope as I felt devastated and they were the only thing that helped me and quite dramatically at that. It got me out of bed and functioning.

I don't think you can die from a broken heart although you can get severely depressed and stressed out which can make you sick in a variety of ways. If as time goes on you're not having more better days then bad ones seek a therapist to talk things over with. It really helps.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
(female)

PuffinStuff HB User

I was just thinking about that earlier myself. How I've been in love so many times where I thought I would just DIE without that person and here I am now not even half remembering what they looked like or kissed like because I'm so hung up on this different person that I feel like I'd die without him now and I'm not saying that lightly... I have felt this same sick feeling over at least 4 guys. So what does that tell you? We WILL get over it eventually ( I hope!) but it takes tons of time and then you find yourself stuck in that thing to where you don't want to let it go so it takes you a while to truly let go of them and when you can well... then each day gets a little better. But that doesn't help much NOW. Right NOW my insides are wrenching from the pain and I'm finding myself furiously typing run on sentence after run on sentence because if I just keep typing maybe it'll all go away. Maybe those few seconds it takes me to find the keys on the keyboard are the few seconds where I won't be 100% focused on him. Oh my God it hurts so bad. Picturing his little face and those beautiful eyes. I used to be able to call him mine and now.. god it hurts. ok i gotta stop i'm starting to just plain freak out now!

Old 12-21-2008, 05:46 PM   #9
(female)

GoodbyeMrsC HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrylou'smom View Post
been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Yes, it hurts like no other hurt in the whole world. But I think it's worst the first time you are really in love with someone and they don't return that love, or worse yet, they return it with disrespect, dishonesty, what have you.

Yes, I know this pain you describe. And I am losing my first love whom I dated for 8 years then married. And within the first month of marriage he decided I was not the one for him. And he returned my love with disrespect, dishonesty and "what have you."

Pain is such an understatement. For me, the thoughts & feelings are too overwhelming to put on paper.

Basically, I exist on two opposite ends of the spectrum: total emotional wreck or void zombie. Everything hurts, or I'm just exhausted from everything hurting to the point I'm just---here but not really.

I hate that you are experiencing these feelings, this roller coaster. But I was comforted by this thread to know that others have been through it and survived, if you will. Yes, I understand not wanting to survive.

I couldn't take my life, but as many of you have stated, yes death would seem better at times. I don't want to die, I just want the pain to stop. I want things to be better.

Patience. Time heals all wounds. I say busy yourself. Even if you hate every minute of it because you'd rather be at home alone i bed because there you can cry without having to deal with anyone. Get busy because it forces you to interact with people, it forces you to move on, it gets the ball rolling. Inertia...

Last edited by GoodbyeMrsC; 12-21-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #10
(male)

TryAgain121 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrylou'smom View Post

But no, physically, you cannot die from a broken heart. You can deal with it in the short term and have poor coping skills and not deal with it well which could lead you to do something to hurt yourself, but you won't actually die of a broken heart. It just feels like it. There is such a thing as broken heart syndrome, I forget the technical term for it, myocardio stress something. But it looks and feels like a heart attack, but no permanent damage is done to the heart muscle.

it takes time and lots of hard work and the will to move toward a healthier place that doesn't hurt as much. I'm so sorry you're hurting. Good luck to you.
About the "cannot physically die of a broken heart" thing, I remember a medical show that referenced "broken heart syndrome" bascically a severe emotional trauma can weaken the muscles of the heart. Don't know if that is real or not though. To the OP, just keep very busy I guess, and try and meet other people.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:50 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpcandy View Post
I haven't died from a broken heart yet but I know that I certainly wish I was dead!
You are not the only one. Sorry this happened to you, too.

wb

Old 12-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baby_hands HB User

lol ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Today is my birthday, and its been 3 weeks since my fiance (we were together 2 years) broke up with me, and to make matters worse the breakup was messy..I didnt want it to be, it didnt need to be, but some people like to play mind games to make sure they leave a mark on your heart.

My mum took me out for lunch...i sat there with big sunnies on, on the verge of tears the whole damn time. Then I tried to go for a walk but my body was sooooooooooooo void of energy I almost just fell.

God and Church are my only joy right now. Last night I went for the first time in ages and I felt good. It gave me such a clear perspective.
But yeah, here I am..morning after, on my birthday..wanting my ex fiance back. Happpppppppy biiiiirthday toooooooo meeeeeeeeee..

and screw christmas lol.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:10 AM   #13
(female)

GoodbyeMrsC HB User

A friend of mine dated a guy for a few years, fell in love, and he proposed. She of course said yes. They set the date, the arrangements were made, and as the special day neared, he ended it.

Heartbroken, furious, and lost some money because of the prior arrangements, she still had feelings for him of course that did not quickly go away. She went through hell.

Then, months later, he realized the error of his ways and begged her to get back together. This was what she had wanted to hear for so long! But did she take him back?

No. She realized that someone who could just drop her like that had permanently damaged her trust; that if she ever got back with him, she'd have reason to believe he'd drop her again. And she didn't want to live her life insecure. She said she could never fully trust him again, and that a relationship without trust wouldn't work. And after all the emotional disaster she'd been living for months, trying to work through, all because of him!

She was right. A few years later, she met someone new, someone much more handsome, mature, and wonderful to her family! I would have never seen it coming! Well I went to their wedding last year, and she is so happy. This man treats her like gold---he even cooks!

Moral of the story: she got her heart stomped, toughed it out, and something better came along! She didn't settle! She had the patience to wait---and voila! Can you only imagine what she might have missed out on if she would've gotten back together with that rotten rat that took her for granted?!?!

My friend's story gives me hope. I mean, if you really believe there is something better for you out there, and are willing to wait for it, why would we want to be with these guys? And it doesn't matter what we want---because these guys don't want us. They've rejected us.

Are you just gonna sit in the cage til he feels like taking you out to play? He'll put you right back in that cage as soon as he's sick of you...Can you live this life? I've lived it and it sucks!

Last edited by GoodbyeMrsC; 12-22-2008 at 08:11 AM.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

You lived before him. You'll live after him. If a man was absolutely necessary for your survival you wouldn't have ever been born because you couldn't have lived!

Now, not WANTING to live without someone, that's a different story. And again, we've all lived without the guy before we met him. So it's entirely possible to live when he's no longer around. And we're better off, we just sometimes don't know it.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:03 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

I don't know whats worse...breaking up in a realtionship before marrige, or being married and deeply in love and the realtionship blisters away.
or your in a romatic loving realtionship married like 12 years and all of a sudden enexpeted your spouse suddlen dies and leaves you alone in the cold cruel world to deal with...maybe your still young with kids....
broken hearts comes in many package's..its something in life some of us has to deal with... and others will not.
to me you just have to deal with it the best you can and go on move forward with your life.

Closed Thread