It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
(female)

eyesonly HB User
In love with 2 men! I am messed up n the head! Please dont judge

This will b long. I have been with my husband since highschool. We got married young. I was mentally abused and he even somewhat physically abused me. He never bruised me or anything. I cried a lot and left several times but ended up believing he changed because he would cry and beg me back. I ended up pregnant and have an 11 year old daughter. He got better but i was still emotionally abused. I ended up getting pregnant again and my husband treated me so bad. My baby ended up dieing. I think that that pushed me to where i didnt want to b with my husband anymore but didnt know how to leave. I had been with him so long. Well i ended up having an affair. I didnt mean for it to happen. It started out as friendship. He made me so happy. I wanted to leave my husband. Well the guy ended up leaving his wife and we got caught before i could leave. I felt so horrible for what i had done. I felt like the worst person on earth. My husband wanted to give it another try. I didnt know what to do. I still loved him for some odd reason but i was in love with the other guy too. I felt like i had to give my marriage another try. What if i left my husband and regretted it. Well i broke it off with the other guy and he went back to his wife. The other man was so mad at me. I didnt speak to the other man for a year. It was so hard. I thought about him all the time. So many tears but i thought that it was a fantasy and i would soon get over him. Well one morning a year later he called me. He told me he missed me and still loved me. We started talking again. It felt so good. I had missed him so much. Well i never met him or touched him we just talked. Well he left his wife for good. But then something changed. MY HUSBAND! He was better than he ever was. Completely changed husband. He started doing everything for me. Treated me like a queen. Now how could i leave him. I couldnt. So I stopped talking to other man but he would still call me every couple of months to check on me and tell me he loves me. Well now it has been 3 1/2 years since we got caught. He is now dating anther lady and is serious. He still calls me from time to time. He basically told me that he was going to have to marry her since i was never going to leave. He even told me that all i had to do was leave and he would leave this new girl. I just feel like my husband has been a changed man for over 2 years now and i cant leave him. I do love him. But then again i cant get the other man out of my mind. It has been 2 months since i talked to other man and the last thing that was said was he told me to call him when i decided to leave. I guess he was tired of waiting on me to leave. So now i guess i want ever talk to him again unless i leave. I miss him so much. I still love him but i love my husband too. I am so back and forth its driving me crazy. How can i still love the other man? I havent touched him in 3 1/2 years. I dont wont to hurt my husband he has come so far. I dont know how much longer i can live like this. I am so depressed. But how about if i left my husband for the other man and i regret it later on? Please dont judge me. I wish i could take it all back.

I guess he has changed. He does everything for me. He gets groceries, fixes me breakfast on Sunday mornings in bed, washes my vehicle and does anything i ask him to do. He does still have a little temper but I guess we all do. He tells me he loves me all the time. He use to never tell me. I know that if I got sick he would take care of me. I use to never be able to go any where or do anything and he now doesnt say too much about it. Now if I told him I was going out with my friends on a Friday or Saturday night he would scream at me and throw a fit and we would be in a huge argument. Of course I dont care about going out with friends on a Friday or Sat night anyway so to me its no big deal.
I did tell him that i thought we needed to split up for a while that I needed time. He told me that he was not having a temporary seperation. That if I wanted to split up we could just sleep in different rooms until we sold the house because he was not leaving for me to have men up in his house. I dont even want men up in here. I dont know why he even says that. I want time to figure out who i am and what I want. So if I want to seperate, I will have to leave with my daughter and then he would probably take me to court to make me pay half the house payment. I cant pay half the house payment plus pay rent for where ever i go. I feel stuck. I do wonder when he is going to snap back to who he was. I remember being so scared and cried all the time. He would scream at me in front of our daughter one minute and then the next minute begging me to forgive him. So back and forth. I felt like i was on a roller coaster.
As far as the other man. He basically told me he had to move on that he knew I was never leaving my husband. He said that he does like this other woman and that its all good but he wished that things would have been different. I dont know if its a fantasy or not. I just know that i do care about him deeply. I wish him the best and I wonder how he is all the time. I know he would treat my daughter good. I just dont know if it would work out for us. I know that we all have problems.
I think my main problem is, I dont know if I stay because I truly love my husband or not. Or if this is what Im use to. My comfort zone! I have been with my husband since High School and now I am n my 30s. He is still a little controlling but i guess we can all b. I dont know. I am just so confussed.

Even when I do find things to do I still think of him. We took a vacation and I thought about him several times. I dont know if I am bored with my husband or if Im just bored. I have plenty to do but i would like to do more things with my friends. But it seems like they are always busy and when they are not my husband is home and he would get ill if i left him to hang out with them. I would have to hear that i want to stay gone all the time. My husband doesnt hang out with anybody anymore. So all he does is work and come home to us. i try to get him to do things but he says he doesnt care to do anything but be here. I guess thats a good thing but then I just want to hang out with my friends sometimes. One weekend I went to my friends house and we just hung out and talked for around 3 hours. The next day on a Sunday she came over and we went up town shopping for around 2 hours. When I got home, all I heard was that I never wanted to be with him and all I wanted to do was stay gone all the time. We ended up argueing a little over it. That was around 2 ago. If he went to a friends house i wouldnt say anything about it. Wouldnt bother me. Is that controlling me?

Last edited by eyesonly; 07-12-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
(male)

calmbloke HB User
Re: In love with 2 men! I am messed up n the head! Please dont judge

If your husband hadn't changed, this would be so easy to advise on. The fact that he's become different for 2 whole years now does, on the face of it, remove any argument of him trying to manipulate you into staying. But why did he change? People like that don't normally.

You're not in love with two men, because really you can't be. You sound very like someone I knew, who hid constantly behind not wanting to hurt anyone and being scared in case things with the new guy didn't work out. Flip this on its head - if your husband hadn't changed, would you still be sat where you are wondering "what if it doesn't work out". This other man has had nothing from you for years, yet he still keeps in touch and obviously wants to be with you and is now in the rather unenviable position of feeling he has to be with someone because it's better than being with no-one as you're keeping yourself unavailable. He could be a player too but it doesn't sound like it.

I guess what you have to weigh up is:
How serious is guy #2? How meaningful is the change in your husband? And who do you REALLY want to be with?

Old 07-12-2009, 04:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User

I think it's better for you to keep your marriage, especially if you have a good sex life with your husband (again) and a stable life (finances included). I am afraid the other guy is a bit of a fantasy, a risk for you. It might work, or it might not work. And then you also have a child. Would he - the other guy - fully accept this child? Stay where you are, and try to think of the other guy as an old friend who went away.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:42 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

The way I see it is that you are caught between real life (your marriage) and a fantasy (the other one). When you met this other guy, you were in a totally different place; you were in an unhappy, abusive relationship. I can well believe that your affair shocked your husband into changing the way he treated you, and he has kept it up all this time. You say you love your husband; I feel that this should be the relationship you pursue. You haven't been with the other man for years, who knows what sort of relationship you may have (or not have). I also feel that he is trying to manipulate you by holding up this other woman - if he really loved you and wanted only you, he wouldn't be contemplating another relationship. That sounds like blackmail to me; it sounds that he can get into relationships all too easily. he cheated on his wife, he is willing to dump another poor woman, how do you know that once he gets you, he will not just lose interest. Better the lover you know and have come to a good relationship with than jumping into the unknown with somebody like this. Sera.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Larrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB User

I think it would be a good idea to get out on your own for a while.

It's wonderful that our husband has changed, but who knows how permanent that change will be? He could revert back to his abusive ways at any time. Your life was in danger once being with this man, and people simply don't change overnight with one snap of the fingers.

And this other guy, he may very well love you, but he sounds a little weak. I know men have a need to be married after they get to be a certain age, and any woman will do, but I didn't like it when Niles did it to Mel for Daphne on the tv show Fraser, and I don't like this guy doing it to this other woman, either. It's just not very stand-up to marry some woman you don't love or really want just because you need a woman in your bed and making your meals and cleaning your house lying to her the whole time, making her think you love her, when you'd dump her at the drop of a hat if the woman you really love suddenly became available. That's just not very nice.

I think you still need to heal from the abuse your husband subjected you to, and be on your own for awhile, just to clear your head and take a breather and see how your husband reacts. Make it clear you're not leaving him, you just need some time to heal and grow. If he's understanding and supportive, then perhaps a real go of it can be made with him. If he throws a fit, gets angry and becomes controlling and abusive again, then you know he really hasn't changed, and it will be only a matter of time before he's hurting you again. Who knows, after being on your own for a while you might decide you don't want either one.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:45 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

chocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB User

You say that your husband is a changed man. I would have a hard time believing that, but you said that it's been 2 yrs now that he's been changed so it could be true that he's a different person. He probably woke up to how he was treating you when he realized that you found someone else.
You know in your heart, as I'm sure you can follow your gut feeling, about if your husband has truly changed. If he has, and he's treating you like he loves you and with respect then you should hang in there with him.

This other man does sound like a fantasy. You can't get him out of your head. Probably because you don't really know him and you've made something out of him in your head that's not really true. It's so easy to just make up or only look at all the good wonderful things about a person.
I don't know....this other guy. Well, him saying that he'd leave the woman he's with now if you leave your husband- what about that other woman? Has he been telling her that she's the only one for him? Telling her how much he loves her? I mean, if he has said that he's going to marry her, I'm sure she knows that. Isn't it kind of cruel on his part to tell her he wants to marry her and then drop her like a hot potato if you decide to go to him? Lots of hints here that he isn't all what he seems. Wouldn't he be lying to you? Couldn't he be fooling you too? You just don't know this person.
On the other hand, you say your husband is changed. You would know that. Follow your gut instincts. Follow your heart, not your fantasy.
You say you love your husband, he's a changed person. Well, stand up for yourself and if he ever abuses you in any way again (hopefully not!!!), stand up for yourself and let him know you're not going to take it!
If he goes back to his abusive ways, let him know that you will leave and not take it from him anymore. You nor your daughter do not deserve that.
If he is decent now and treats you right all the time, then you need to stick in your marriage and believe me, love grows over time. I wish you the best.
Hope this wasn't too long and hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrylou'smom View Post
I think you still need to heal from the abuse your husband subjected you to, and be on your own for awhile, just to clear your head and take a breather and see how your husband reacts. Make it clear you're not leaving him, you just need some time to heal and grow. If he's understanding and supportive, then perhaps a real go of it can be made with him. If he throws a fit, gets angry and becomes controlling and abusive again, then you know he really hasn't changed, and it will be only a matter of time before he's hurting you again. Who knows, after being on your own for a while you might decide you don't want either one.
This is excellent advice also. This way you can see if he's really changed. Something to think about, eh?

Last edited by chocolate29; 07-12-2009 at 06:54 AM. Reason: added something

Old 07-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
(female)

eyesonly HB User

I guess he has changed. He does everything for me. He gets groceries, fixes me breakfast on Sunday mornings in bed, washes my vehicle and does anything i ask him to do. He does still have a little temper but I guess we all do. He tells me he loves me all the time. He use to never tell me. I know that if I got sick he would take care of me. I use to never be able to go any where or do anything and he now doesnt say too much about it. Now if I told him I was going out with my friends on a Friday or Saturday night he would scream at me and throw a fit and we would be in a huge argument. Of course I dont care about going out with friends on a Friday or Sat night anyway so to me its no big deal.
I did tell him that i thought we needed to split up for a while that I needed time. He told me that he was not having a temporary seperation. That if I wanted to split up we could just sleep in different rooms until we sold the house because he was not leaving for me to have men up in his house. I dont even want men up in here. I dont know why he even says that. I want time to figure out who i am and what I want. So if I want to seperate, I will have to leave with my daughter and then he would probably take me to court to make me pay half the house payment. I cant pay half the house payment plus pay rent for where ever i go. I feel stuck. I do wonder when he is going to snap back to who he was. I remember being so scared and cried all the time. He would scream at me in front of our daughter one minute and then the next minute begging me to forgive him. So back and forth. I felt like i was on a roller coaster.
As far as the other man. He basically told me he had to move on that he knew I was never leaving my husband. He said that he does like this other woman and that its all good but he wished that things would have been different. I dont know if its a fantasy or not. I just know that i do care about him deeply. I wish him the best and I wonder how he is all the time. I know he would treat my daughter good. I just dont know if it would work out for us. I know that we all have problems.
I think my main problem is, I dont know if I stay because I truly love my husband or not. Or if this is what Im use to. My comfort zone! I have been with my husband since High School and now I am n my 30s. He is still a little controlling but i guess we can all b. I dont know. I am just so confussed.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrylou'smom View Post
I think it would be a good idea to get out on your own for a while.
Maybe, but I am not sure you must leave your husband and family in order to realize something. I think you could do that while staying just where you are by developing a relationship with yourself, by getting to know yourself better, by expressing yourself better, by being assertive and considerate, etc. I don't think it would be practical for you to leave your family now, because you have a child, among other things. So try to get in touch with yourself while living your every-day life.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
(female)

eyesonly HB User

But how do I get to know myself better? All I can say is that I feel so depressed and bored with my life. Dont know why. I wish i could change it all.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesonly View Post
But how do I get to know myself better? All I can say is that I feel so depressed and bored with my life. Dont know why. I wish i could change it all.
Just an idea. What about education? Did you finish it? If not, do you think you could go back to school, college, whatever? Probably, this would show you that life doesn't need to be boring all the time.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

You should never make major life decisions when you are bored and depressed. That's when people make the worst decisions. We are in charge of our own boredom, and we are the only ones who can change it. If you can find something to do that you find interesting (not another man), I bet your life will seem 100% better. What about activities with your child? Cooking classes? Photography? Exercise?

Lose the boredom and see if you still find this other man fascinating.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
(female)

eyesonly HB User

Even when I do find things to do I still think of him. We took a vacation and I thought about him several times. I dont know if I am bored with my husband or if Im just bored. I have plenty to do but i would like to do more things with my friends. But it seems like they are always busy and when they are not my husband is home and he would get ill if i left him to hang out with them. I would have to hear that i want to stay gone all the time. My husband doesnt hang out with anybody anymore. So all he does is work and come home to us. i try to get him to do things but he says he doesnt care to do anything but be here. I guess thats a good thing but then I just want to hang out with my friends sometimes. One weekend I went to my friends house and we just hung out and talked for around 3 hours. The next day on a Sunday she came over and we went up town shopping for around 2 hours. When I got home, all I heard was that I never wanted to be with him and all I wanted to do was stay gone all the time. We ended up argueing a little over it. That was around 2 ago. If he went to a friends house i wouldnt say anything about it. Wouldnt bother me. Is that controlling me?

Old 07-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

chocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB User

Quote:

It is things like this that make me ecstatically happy that I'm single.
See, you shouldn't be being controlled like that. If he loved you he would want you to be happy. I can see him being upset with your leaving to be with your friend if you totally neglect taking care of your daughter and stuff, but you didn't do anything wrong.
Personally, I think you married too young, have never been able to be yourself and now you are trapped and wanting to break free.
I could not imagine living my life being ruled and controlled by someone with a temper. It would be living hell and I can see why you came on this board trying to help yourself find a solution.
So, of course this other man looks like a great solution to your problem, but I can tell you it's not. I believe that you need to break free from your husband. Get away for a bit. Find yourself. Do you have a job? Try to spend some time with your friends. Let your husband know that you aren't going to take any abuse from him. Of course you have your daughter. Maybe take her along with you and your friend.
I can tell you now that, I believe that this other man is looking so good to you because of the situation you are in. You are bored, probably miserable being with your husband (as I would be terribly miserable myself), your friends are all busy and this other man wants you.
But you could be opening a whole different can of worms there.
You need to figure out what you want/need to do.

Anyway, the thing you just stated about seeing your friend and your husband getting all upset with you, you said that happened 2 years ago.
Is he still the same way? Or has he changed? Will he get so angry at you for wanting to go shopping or hang out with a friend? If so, he has NOT changed.
If he gets angry and loses his temper with you over petty things he is not a changed person.
If he is still abusive, get away from him. Just bear the consequences. (?)
I don't know....Only you know. Follow your heart. Try to get a good amount of alone time and try to figure out what YOU want to do.
I notice also, that you say you are still in love with him.
Would it help if you make a list of why you love your husband? Why do you stay? Why do you love him?

Old 07-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
(female)

eyesonly HB User

He has changed as far as he tells me he loves and he always compliments me now. He use to never say anything good to me. He has changed where he doesnt get as mad as he use to and he does everything for me. As far as letting me do things with friends. He did let me go with 2 of my friends to the beach for 1 night. But our kids went with us. I think he would have freaked out if we didnt have the kids. That was the first time in my life that I did anything like that. It felt so weird. As far as screaming at me and getting mad he will just make smart comments now such as all u want to do is stay gone all the time. But i dont go anywhere. Yes i do work but then i come straight home. I dont go anywhere during the week. I do talk to my friends on the phone. I think that if I told him right now that me and my friends were going to the beach this weekend for the whole weekend he would get mad and not really fuss and tell me Im not going like he use to but he would say, "Oh this is how u want it, u want to stay gone all the time. You use to not do this stuff now you are so you just want a divorce or something."

Old 07-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Larrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB User

Quote:
When I got home, all I heard was that I never wanted to be with him and all I wanted to do was stay gone all the time. We ended up argueing a little over it. Is that controlling me?
Yes.

You also mentioned he would get "ill" if you went out without him. He is being very possessive and controlling, which is really just another form of abuse. You are still not free to be who you are and to enjoy your life as you see fit. It really does not sound like he's changed that much, he's just changed his MO.

Closed Thread