It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
(female)

bethanymay9289 HB User
my friend claims to have schitzophrainia

i am just wondering what the difference is between schizophrenia and multiple persons syndrome is because my friend has been claiming for years to have a imaginary friend that has turned into a voice/person in his head, the person can take control of his body and talk as a separate person, my friend has little to no recollection of what his other half does when he is in control.
i was just wondering if this is normal for a schizophrenic or what

Old 09-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

reg12 HB User
Re: my friend claims to have schitzophrainia

Welcome bethanymay to the board. Normally schizophrenia is hearing or seeing something that may not be there. Multiple Person syndrome is kind of an older term. What you are refering to actually does come under about 3 headings. They are Borderline Personality Disorder BPD, Dissociative Identity Disorder DID and Multiple Personality Disorder MPD. These are normally related to a trauma situation that the person may not be aware of taking place. BPD is least severe. MPD is actually quite rare. All of the above can cause every symptom in your message. I do have to recommend that your friend should seek professional assistance. I hope this information helps to answer your question. Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2010, 02:12 AM   #3
(female)

funforever HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg12 View Post
Welcome bethanymay to the board. Normally schizophrenia is hearing or seeing something that may not be there. Multiple Person syndrome is kind of an older term. What you are refering to actually does come under about 3 headings. They are Borderline Personality Disorder BPD, Dissociative Identity Disorder DID and Multiple Personality Disorder MPD. These are normally related to a trauma situation that the person may not be aware of taking place. BPD is least severe. MPD is actually quite rare. All of the above can cause every symptom in your message. I do have to recommend that your friend should seek professional assistance. I hope this information helps to answer your question. Take care.
What's the difference between DID and Multiple Personality Disorder? I thought they were the same thing, that DID is the now technical term, where as MPD is the older term.

As for your friend, Bethany, I have an opinion but I don't think you'll want to hear it. Plus I don't think it's politically correct.

Last edited by funforever; 02-13-2010 at 02:13 AM.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Larrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB User

I think you should strongly encourage your friend to seek professional help, get a proper diagnosis and treatment. Be careful. People with these kinds of disorders can be unpredictable to say the least.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

digmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB User

multiple personality disorder=dissociative identity disorder, the latter is the updated term for it.

Closed Thread