It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

digmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB User
Intuition Vs. Paranoia

Rose said something that really made me think. She said to someone "Your intuition is telling you not to trust him... listen to it!" I'm notoriously bad at trusting men. When a new relationship begins, I hide this for fear that they will run, but eventually it comes out (then they probably run)... I just started seeing a guy a couple weeks ago. He said today that he was going to be somewhere without service and he would call me later. I immediately thought "he's lying, he just doesn't want me calling because he doesn't want me to know what he's doing right now." He calls me a half hour later and said he was getting an oil change and how was class, etc. He is really sweet and attentive and I felt crazy. I hate being "like that" and I have no reason to not trust him. We aren't even exclusive and I even am sort of dating around right now and he knows that, so I don't know what I got all crazy about.

I have been extremely intuitive before and it has been right on; people have even said I was psychic. I've also thought I was being intuitive and actually just was being very paranoid, like today, and with many other men. My question is, how do you know when your intuition is telling you something for a reason or you're just being paranoid because you have trust issues? I get so confused sometimes about what's real and what I'm making up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
(female)

justcurious09 HB User
Re: Intuition Vs. Paranoia

Hi there, I am very intuitive too. I think it is a woman's gift.

I have had the same dilemma about my radar. I feel that true intuition is triggered by evidence. The body language evidence. For example if my bf were to tell me the same as yours did and he was looking off not wanting to look at me or acted nervous in any way, I would wonder what was up. if he told me this in a matter-of-fact way then I would think nothing of it.

If their body language seems normal and you still have that feeling of dread, then you know it is insecurity working on you. My bf and I have talked about this many times, how the over-reaction is typically caused from being deceived in the past.

You just need to trust your own reasoning too. You will know when your being hoodwinked and when your not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2009, 03:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User

I suggest you should read about the Enneagram (Helen Palmer). She talks a lot about intuition. All types on the Enneagram (this is a typology) have intuitive styles: some are mentally based, some are feeling-based, and some are body-based. You may be able to find out your own intuitive style and ways of developing it.

By the way, men can also be intuitive. I am.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
(female)

justcurious09 HB User

Pendulum, thanks for the info I am checking out the site right now...it looks interesting.

I agree that males are intuitive too, I think they tend to call it the more masculine: "gut feelings" or "instinct" .

You may not agree, but in my random studies on the subject I do believe that women are typically more in tune with their intuitive abilities than men. Not that men do not possess it, but tend not to realize it. Or it could be they have different styles in processing it.

I tend to think it is because of the maternal aspect of a woman being wired for nurturing, and men wired for logic.

It is a very interesting topic... and thanks again for the info.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
(female)

Lysander HB User

Heh, nurturing. Women are the #1 murderers of children throughout history. In the fifteenth century you couldn't pass a latrine without hearing an infant crying, because so many mother threw their children down toilets. The sewers of Rome are still clogged with the bones of thousands of newborns. And if we didn't have birth control and abortion, it'd probably be the same today. Nurturing, yes. Wired for it? Hmm... Debatable.

Gut or instinct, I personally think it comes from the same thing, though...non-verbal cues picked up sub-consciously. We're used to language being the basis for communication, but we pick up so much more than that. Definitely not a thing to ignore.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
Heh, nurturing. Women are the #1 murderers of children throughout history. In the fifteenth century you couldn't pass a latrine without hearing an infant crying, because so many mother threw their children down toilets. The sewers of Rome are still clogged with the bones of thousands of newborns. And if we didn't have birth control and abortion, it'd probably be the same today. Nurturing, yes. Wired for it? Hmm... Debatable.

Gut or instinct, I personally think it comes from the same thing, though...non-verbal cues picked up sub-consciously. We're used to language being the basis for communication, but we pick up so much more than that. Definitely not a thing to ignore.
For all I know, birth is very complex thing - for the birthing woman. If, on the one hand, a bond is immediately established between a mother and her newborn, on the other hand, a woman at birth is often in a state of mental haze and is thus capable of doing things irrationaly, such as killing a baby - her own baby.

In some of those Roman cases - I believe - she was doing it because the baby's father had ordered, encouraged or forced her to do it - perhaps an unknown, absent, or indifferent father. In other cases, the baby could have some birth defect that would make it "unsuitable" for life, so, maybe out of pity or maybe out of a tradition, it was sacrificed at birth. I guess many women would do the killing with a very heavy heart.

The bottom line is that it is not easy to judge them. It is not a black-and-white issue by any measure.

Last edited by pendulum; 10-01-2009 at 10:54 AM.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
(female)

Lysander HB User

Heck of it is, you're right Pendulum and I knew that before I posted...I don't know why I write things sometimes. Past issues, I guess. Sorry for getting off topic.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
(female)

deeneedsfixed HB User

i am in the same boat as far as wondering if what i am having is intuition or paranoia and trying to figure out how to know the difference. i think we all have a bit of both truthfully but i am one of the most insecure people i know so who am i to say? i do agree with what one of the posted replies said about our sub-conscious picking up on non-verbal cues from your mate. but i also think that a lot of thoughts stem from what is said as well. or maybe the way some things are said or how certain things are phrased and tone of voice used to convey what your mate is telling you. always asking myself, why do you think this or what happened to make you think that way? it seems that a lot of us that have been cheated on previously have these insecurity/paranoia issues and lug those issues into current relationships. which is unfair...my bf was cheated on by his ex-wife and his ex-fiance(many times by her) and he doesnt' seem to just assume that i am going to do the same things to him, whereas i do assume that at some point he is probably going to cheat on me. and part of me is always wondering if he already is....and there is really no basis i have for feeling this way, nothing he has done anyway. how do you stop this crazy thought process which in the end could be a deal-breaker, especially when they truly arent doing anyting like that and really love you and respect you. gut or paranoia? what to believe and when and why?

Closed Thread