It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

River rocks HB User
Tiger Woods

Did anyone else watch his televised appology speech?
Obviously it was scripted for him, but it was well written. I wonder how far it will take him. Will time passed make everyone "forgive" him. Do you think in 10 years we will hardly even remember his "transgressions"? Does anyone feel he is being sincere in his words?

Old 02-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Tiger Woods

he's sorry he got caught.....that's about it

I have lost all respect for him, as I'm sure a lot of people have.....

NOW he wants to live his life with integrity? why didn't he think of that BEFORE.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

River rocks HB User

Yeah exactly. It seems to me that these high profile people who get caught seem to want to fix things only after getting caught. Makes you think he would have kept it up as long as he got away with it. Reminds me of the John Edwards saga...ick that one makes me ill. The whole cover up, love child thing. Awful!

Old 02-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I have no doubt it would have continued as long as he could get away with it....

Old 02-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
(male)

CorpWarrior HB User

Well, I think he needs to worry about whether his wife will forgive him - not the rest of us. It's their marriage. I'd be very surprised to see her stay with him long-term, as I would think her trust has been completely crushed.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
(female)

genova77 HB User

I don't know much about Tiger Woods or his wife. I don't know if she is a professional woman with her own career or if she lives off her husband's money.

I do know that in the UK there have been a few high profile scandals recently involving soccer players getting caught cheating on their wives. The majority of these women end up stayig with their man, and I suspect it has less to do with love than the lifestyle they would be giving up if they did leave.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
(male)

CorpWarrior HB User

Well, she wouldn't necessarily have to give up that lifestyle, with either choice. She stands to get a huge chunk of change even if she divorces him - but yes, there are lots of reasons why people stay together.

Personally, though - I wouldn't stick around if a woman had cheated on me in that way. Based on what I know, I think she should divorce him - but I was making the point it's not my marriage, and it's not for us to forgive. They will have to figure it out for themselves.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
(male)

52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User

I also agree that he would have continued as long as he could get a way with it. I think he didn't think he would get a way with it and what it wouldn't hurt his wife. He got a big wake up call and realizes he is just a stupid man. Now he is paying big time for his actions which he deserves. I do think he is sorry for getting caugh and sorry now for what he did do his wife and family. I wish him and his family well. I also hope he gets back to playing golf. That is what he is great at.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

River rocks HB User

I think it would be hard enough to deal with it as a couple in private, let alone with millions of people all in your business. Just imagine if his wife Elin somehow decided to try and work things out. She would never stop hearing from the public about it. It must make it really tough on her.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
(female)

DLC08 HB User

I did watch Tiger today and thought he was very sincere towards his fans, sponsors etc. I agree that it was scripted but if he had spoken without a script, he might have not been able to cover the details that he did and could have had the media misrepresent his words. When this first started I found it hard to believe that he had done these things much less had THE TIME. We have been a golf family since our daughter started playing at the age of 5. She started playing tournaments at the age of 7 and we traveled at least 3 times a month to different tournaments. She is now 18 yrs old and in college on a golf scholarship. I know the amount of time you have to spend on the golf course to play the way Tiger does. Not only is it extremely time consuming but it is a very self disciplined and mind controlled game. He has to be on the course every day for hours at a time to play a average 66 score. There are not enough hours in a day to keep company with 14 women. He admitted that he has cheated and I'm glad that he has been accountable for his indiscretions because now he can move on with his life. Try to put yourself in his shoes as a human and not a spokesperson and millionaire. His golfing ability speaks for itself. I hope the public will leave him and his family alone for the sake of the kids. Still a huge fan because we live the golf life too!!!!

Old 02-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

brokenhearted83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
he's sorry he got caught.....that's about it

I have lost all respect for him, as I'm sure a lot of people have.....

NOW he wants to live his life with integrity? why didn't he think of that BEFORE.....
I agree.

Whether they are really trying to work it out between them or if it's strictly business - he will be able to make a better come back (and more money) with his wife 'by his side' i don't know.
How could you ever get over something like that???

Old 02-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

GypsyArcher HB User

Yeah, like others have said, he's not sorry he did it all, he's sorry he got caught.

I think I'd have a lot more respect for him if he had an attitude of "It's my life, my own choices are my business, butt out." Rather than getting found out and pretending to be oh-so sorry just so that he can one day get his career back.

What I have noticed in my own life is that the more I have, the less satisfied I am with what I've got. I'm a small-town nobody but I've already had to come to terms with the fact that I need to keep my relationships open because I've got a wandering eye. I can't even imagine having all of that fame, all of that money, all of that priviledge...and access to a huuuuge pool of hotties. I mean, if I could have just about any guy on earth that I wanted? I'd be plowing through dudes like a John Deere.

It was just surprising because he had that nice, sweet, family-man image. From what I'd read he was a pretty big party guy, mackin' on the ladies. I'm just suprised that kind of stuff didn't get out sooner.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:20 AM   #13
(female)

genova77 HB User

I think that many of these successful sportsman want to have their cake and eat it. They want the supportive and loving wife and beautiful kids at home, and all the hot babes on the road. If they had moral integrity they would just say look, I'm not looking to get married, I just want to have fun with no commitments. That way nobody gets hurt. Only once they work that out of their system should they even think about marriage. If you can't keep in your pants, then don't get married! You can't have it both ways. I hate cheating, its such a repellant thing to do and it really makes me angry, grrr!

Old 02-20-2010, 06:42 AM   #14
(female)

Waiting4aWinner HB User

I think Tiger is both sorry about what he did AND getting caught. People argue his private life isn't our business but yet with some blame on the media, but mostly on Tiger himself, he self-proclaimed the importance of his family before be golf repeatedly. So he did owe everyone an apology because he didn't just lie to his family, but his friends, fans and his business partners--all things he addressed in his speech.

I also agree that the guy is not an orator and having a scripted speech was fine with me. Tiger was under a ton of pressure and scrutiny and he needed to remember everything he needed to say. I'm taking the apology sincerely at this time but in the end actions speak volumes.

To DLC: I have a freshman girl in her first year in college also on scholarship. We aren't a golf family though--my mother actually started taking lessons when my daughter was 10 and that's how she started. My daughter attends college in southern VA. Good luck to your daughter. Today my daughter's team is playing their first event of this semester in Kiawah Island.

Last edited by Waiting4aWinner; 02-20-2010 at 06:45 AM.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Larrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB User

I think there is such a thing as sex addiction, just like there's eating addictions, drinking addictions, gambling addictions, hoarding addictions, people can get addicted to anything, even religion.

He seems to be genuinely sorry for what he's done, and of course he's sorry he got caught, anyone would be. But to not apologize and to not take responsibility for what this has done to his family and his image would kill his career and his marriage for sure. He was right to have given the apology and taken responsibility. I would have lost all respect for him if he had not shown any remorse. And he's getting in-patient help.

I believe his wife comes from a wealthy family and has plenty of money of her own, but I could be wrong on that. But I seem to remember hearing something like that. But I would not judge her if she chooses to stay with him. The vows do say "for better for worse, in sickness and in health, till death do us part." I believe if you don't mean those words, you shouldn't say them. If what he has done has forever killed the love and respect she had for him, then she may want to leave, as she would have every right to, but if she still loves him and believes he can get help for his addiction and wants to honor her marriage vows and try to make it work, that would be cool, too. I also admire people who take their vows seriously and meant it when they said for life.

Closed Thread