It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 06:18 AM   #1
(male)

NoParties HB User
Tall men are more attractive?

Hey,

After reading some posts here in forums, i have noticed how women mention mens height when talking about attractiveness.

I had a girl, who told me, her "perfect guy" should be tall, taller than her.

Also, i have done a "research". Was out in a place where lots of couples go for a walk and i observed them.

The conclusion was - i did not find a single couple where man would be smaller than a woman. It is always man taller than a woman.

Now can you people tell me, what am i missing here? I really have no idea why would women prefer taller men in any kind of situation? What is so special about tall men?

Old 04-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Tall men are more attractive?

I'm only 5'4" so most guys ARE taller than me, it's not like I pick them that way, they just are.

I think the only thing you're missing is that there are more taller guys than short guys and the shorter guys tend to look for shorter girls. It's not like there's some big conspiracy against short guys. But it would be less likely for a girl who is 6ft tall to date a guy that is only 5'5.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

Well I prefer a taller man, mainly.....taller then me. For myself, it goes to an issue of security. I feel safer going up to my significant other and burrying my head in his chest while he throws his arms over me as opposed to towering over him, his head in my chest, and me throwing my arms around him. It feels more like hugging your kid. I cant explain it, that's just the way it is. Having said that, my husband was 1 inch shorter then me, so although initially I like a taller guy, just because he's slightly vertically challenged doesn't mean it's a complete no. But then there is the case of my good buddy whom I will call mr. x. Mr. x. has had a crush on me since highschool, has been apart of my life for as long as I can remember, and is really a great guy. He was there when my husband passed away, he was there when my children were born, he has just allways been there. He has asked me at least 1000 times why I dont give it a shot. At the end of the day, the reason is nothing more then that he is about 7 inches shorter then me and weighs probably 30 pounds less then me. NO WAY! And just to give a little insight, I'm 5'9" and weigh about 155. So It's a total turn off and I cant even imagine it for a second. Nothing against the guy, but there is absolutely no physical chemistry there as a result. Icant explain it, it is just the way it is for me.

Last edited by justmel30; 04-06-2010 at 06:57 AM.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Larrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB User

It's just a sad fact of life that tall people, bot men and women, are considered smarter, more attractive and more competent than shorter people. Most women do prefer taller men because women instinctively feel they are more powerful and more capable and would be better providers and protectors. BUT...that doesn't mean a shorter man doesn't have a chance. I knew a guy who was only 5'3" or so and he never had any problem getting girls. Attitude can go a long way to compensate for any verticle challenges.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

sexiness/attractiveness comes in all shapes and sizes.....

short guys can be attractive too

Old 04-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User

I'm short and I like tall guys, but tall guys also like me back. What I have observed (no research, just observation) is that short girls like tall men, and tall men like short girls. So tall women are usually left with short men because the tall ones like the short ones, and short men seem to always be attracted to tall women.

I always had this discussion with my friend who is 5"10 and only gets hit on by short men and then she yells at me for taking the tall men . Not my fault. . Perfect examples- Eva Longoria and NBA star Tony Parker VS Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman/ Katie Holmes

Old 04-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
(male)

NoParties HB User

I myself imagined my 'dream girl' being shorter than me. Maybe that's in human blood?

The idea of woman feeling safer with taller man seems plausible(though, it doesn't mean she is lol).

Took me quite some time to convert the feet values you all posted to meters to get the idea what you were talking about

I myself am 1,73 meters(thats like 5'8" or something) tall. I find myself being short being near most of my ex class-mates.

Thanks for your replies

Old 04-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

River rocks HB User

5' 8" for a man is average, so you're not short.
As for women being attracted to tall men, I agree with those who mentioned the security thing, feeling like a tall man is stronger and more protective. Of course that is not always the case but I think its natures way to make us feel that way.
I'm 5' 4" so any man 5' 5" and up seems tall lol.
Also the ratio of taller men with a shorter woman might be because in general men are just usually taller than most women (as a whole, an average).

But i find lots of men who are not "tall" to be just as attractive. Tom Crusie has a great smile

Old 04-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User

I'm 5ft so EVERYONE is taller than me!!!!! (River rocks, I'd give the world to be 5'4!! ). I usually date tall (6ft- 6'3) guys, but my last 2 bfs have been average. I don't height discriminate, but I will admit, I do sometimes think of the unborn children and their height! LOL. But since I don't consider height to really be an attraction, I'm willing to negotiate . I'll take a great smile over inches!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

River rocks HB User

Curly Fry- there might be something to what you said..evening out the genes! If you're 5'0 and your mate is 6'0 you might have 5'6 kids? Makes sense actually tho I never thought of it before. (BTW Hugh Jackman is 6'2", in your dating pool!!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

I'm 5'2 1/2" (and believe me, I do always mention that extra 1/2"!!) and my son's father is 6'2". Our son is 6'4"! Holy cow! My son hates, absolutely HATES being that tall! He hits his head on tree branches, doorways, getting into a car, and everyone is waaayyy shorter than him so when he and his friends pose for pictures he has to crouch. I, on the other hand, envy women like JustMel. I'd love, love, love to be 5'9"! I can't see anything at events or concerts and I can't reach anything on the top shelves at the store. My son can change a light bulb without a ladder, while I have to stand on a chair to get things out of my kitchen cabinets. Pants are too long for me and I've had to resort to shopping at Kids R Us on occasion. Not cool. While my son has to search stores to find pants in a 34" length, and can't find shirts long enough. Not to mention his size 13 1/2 feet!

My son does tend to date taller girls simply because the shorter ones act intimidated by him! I've explained to him that girls like tall men, but he isn't buying. So, just a different perspective.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

digmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB User

I had the best sex ever with an old boyfriend that said he was 5'6" so he was probably 5'5" haha. I'm only 5'3" so I have never been with anyone shorter than me. It's an evolutionary thing - apparently a girl's weight doesn't matter so much as having the "perfect" ratio of .7 waist to hip. I learned that in a psych class. Same goes for tall men, but people who aren't shallow don't consider it terribly important. My boyfriend is actually a foot taller than me and we look kind of goofy to be honest.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB User

I'm 5'6 and have dated men who were shorter than me (especially when I wear heels), didn't bother me one bit or the guy.

Also my bestest friend has a fantastic marriage and her husband is 5 inches shorter than her. I don't really think it matters how tall or short someone is, people are people..

Old 04-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

My longest term BF was about 1 inch shorter than me. Granted, not a real big gap but sometimes an inch matters.

Ironically, just tonight I saw an add on a list of men seeking women. The man said he was 5-8 and wanted "no Yeti women" (that's a quote), no one over 5-5. I'd say it's not the woman who has an issue with height in that situation.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:31 AM   #15
(female)

goingdaffy HB User

I am about 5'8" or a little more, but I have been 5'8" since about 5th grade it seems. I always felt awkward because I was always head and shoulders above everyone else until I got into late high school. What I really hate is my big feet! I didn't intentionly marry a tall person, but because I always hated being the giant, I may have unconsciously migrated toward a taller guy. My grandfather was very very tall (around 6'7). Later, after I got out of high school, I found out my nickname with the guys where I used to work was a m a z o n. I hate that so much, although there are probably people who would love it. So I guess what I'm saying is that there are disadvantages to being tall as well. Maybe some of the tall girls pick tall guys because they want to feel shorter.

Last edited by goingdaffy; 04-07-2010 at 06:32 AM.

Closed Thread