It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

River rocks HB User
What would you think?

What would you think about an ex girl friend who still wears the ring her ex boyfriend gave her? Its been 4 years since the realtionship ended.

It was not an engagement ring, but one that symbolized their commitment at that time. They dated for 5 years, the last year of it being shaky, and the boyfriend was the one who ended it. She still wears the ring every day. Is she holding onto the past? She has not been in another relationship since.

Last edited by River rocks; 05-06-2010 at 09:09 AM.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: What would you think?

maybe she just likes the ring

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

River rocks HB User

Very likey true, Rose. It is a nice ring actually.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

haha well then there ya go!
I once worked with a girl who wore 3 diamond rings and they were all from broken engagements.....that was a little obnoxious, I thought.....

Old 05-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

River rocks HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
haha well then there ya go!
I once worked with a girl who wore 3 diamond rings and they were all from broken engagements.....that was a little obnoxious, I thought.....
Oh wow! Like little badges of failed engagements? I wonder is she wears them on dates and what guys think of that....

Old 05-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

I still have jewelry some of my exes gave me, and still wear it. I don't think I ever told my fiancé who gave me the jewelry, because it doesn't matter. I'm not hanging onto some guy from my past, I just like the jewelry.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

digmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB User

Yeah I've got a whole drawer full of ex-boyfriends' sweaters and boxers and stuff haha. I still wear it because I like enormous comfy sweaters and boxers are comfy to sleep in.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

caberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB User

Unless I was her new boyfriend, I don't think I'd really care. Even in that case, maybe the ring didn't symbolize anything for her; maybe it's just a nice ring.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

River rocks HB User

I have rings from exs, but I keep them in a little keepsake box. Wearing them would feel strange, but that's just me.

And if I visited my ex and his now girlfriend, I don't think I would wear it over there to their house when I was invited over. I'd take it off for the visit, but again, thats just me. She wore it over at our house and I thought it was a wierd thing to do.

Last edited by River rocks; 05-06-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

caberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by River rocks View Post
She wore it over at our house and I thought it was a wierd thing to do.
She--as in your current boyfriend's ex-girlfriend? Yea, that's a little weird. But it's also a little weird to invite over your boyfriend's ex-girlfriend, is it not?

Old 05-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

River rocks HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
She--as in your current boyfriend's ex-girlfriend? Yea, that's a little weird. But it's also a little weird to invite over your boyfriend's ex-girlfriend, is it not?
Well, they have a really long history. She got really involved with his family. His (now grown) kids still send her Christmas cards, as if she was actually married to him once. She is harmless, in the way that I know he has zero romatic feelings for her, and she doesn't try to rock the boat or get between us.
My boyfriend saw her when he was at the store, and he started telling her about our home renovations and our remodeling. She seems genuinely interested so he invited her over to see the place. Now if he had invited her over when I was OUT that would have been different.

I do think she has a fondness for him but maybe not so much a romantic feeling anymore. She also likes to bring her little dog by sometimes because my daughter loves dogs. I know...wierd. But I have never gotten a bad vibe or had any reason to suspect she is up to anything.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #12
(female)

goingdaffy HB User

She probably got used to wearing it after 3 years, so didn't think about taking it off. I personally don't think a ring is that important one way or the other, my wedding ring set no longer fits so I don't wear them. I wear a ring on my left hand that doesn't look like a wedding ring because my finger looks bare without one. I've been asked about it a few times and I tell people my reason. The other people that don't ask? I guess they can wonder about it.
I would be more concerned about what your husband thinks about why she's wearing it, maybe he can ask her.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

I wear several rings from past relationships. Mostly, I just like them. They are nice rings. But I wear them on my right hand of course. There is only two sets that I never wear. One is my wedding set, because it just makes me sad to look at them, and the other is from my last boyfriend, who is the father of my baby and whom is possibly the most worthless man alive. I hate that ring as much as I hate that man! I dont even keep it in my jewelry box. It's on top of my wash machine in the basement and has been for 5 months now. I really wish somebody would just come along and steal it allready! lol. But anyway, as far as the rest of the rings go, they are pretty, and dont have a lot of "baggage" attatched to them.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #14
(female)

goingdaffy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingdaffy View Post
I would be more concerned about what your husband thinks about why she's wearing it, maybe he can ask her.
Sorry River, I meant your boyfriend not your husband, but you know what I mean.
I wouldn't like my husband's ex girlfriends coming over to my house, are you sure you are ok with it? Have your boyfriend tell her to make a new friend!

Old 05-06-2010, 07:55 PM   #15
(female)

juma2010 HB User

I would say she hasn't emotionally let go of him. Unless she's super mature and just wears the ring because its a really cool piece of jewlry. But, i suspect the former is more correct.

Closed Thread