It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
(male)

nascaroller HB User
bipolar disorder

my girlfriend has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. 44 years old. no medical benefits. is there anything over the counter she can use. will she grow out of it someday. she is alcoholic as well. as her boyfriend of 4 years, i can't take it anymore. thanx.....

Old 05-25-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: bipolar disorder

you shouldn't take it anymore.....
if she's not willing to get treatment and get better, she's just dragging you down with her. i was married to an unmedicated bi-polar man for 10 years. he was in denial, he didn't have a problem.....he was abusive, manipulative, and downright mean and nasty at times. I would advise anyone involved with an unmedicated bi-polar person to leave that relationship and save yourself.
it won't get better on it's own, and there is no over the counter pill you can take, and self-medicating with alcohol will only make it worse.
Sorry, that's not what you want to hear, but you need to look out for your own best interests, and I don't believe your best interests lie in this relationship.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

I agree. Not worth it! It would be less painful to throw yourself in front of a train. Bipolar disorder is a very egocentric, self centered disease. And until that person can take one step outside of themselves and what they want and how they feel and how they were treated and how they want to react, there is nothing in the world that can be done for them. They have to recognize it and go for help and put the work in........otherwise your efforts are for no good reason at all. Good luck.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:15 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Ely4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB User

Unfortunately bi-polar is not something you can grow out of, even with medication she won't necessarily be completely stable. This is not something that can be self medicated, or buy drugs over the counter for, she needs to get proper medical help. Drinking will only make things worse and drinking also comes with its own set of problems on top of the bi-polar.

You really can't help her, and she's only bringing you down too. You really need to think about removing yourself from this situation.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
(male)

nascaroller HB User

Thanx......

Old 05-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Larrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB User

Unfortunately, our system doesn't yet allow everyone access to medical care. She can't get help until she gets a good job with medical bennies, and she can't get and keep a good job until she gets help, so she stays stuck in this vicious circle.

No, the medication she needs would have to alter the hormonal and chemical balance in her brain, and they don't sell that kind of stuff over the counter. She could try things like St. John's Wart or Ginko, but I don't know effective those are. Bi-Polar disorder can be pretty serious and needs proper treatment.

The first question is, does she WANT help? Does she want to seek treatment? There are programs she can look into, medical discount programs for "indigent" people and such. You might start with your local county hospital and start from there and just start searching for information. But she has to want to get better. And she has to want to stop self-medicating with alcohol.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
(male)

nascaroller HB User

thanx.....how about ginkgo or maybe 5-htp....any news on that...

Old 05-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

does she want help?
does she admit she has a problem?
I wouldn't put too much stock in any herbal remedy in this case, although I believe they can be helpful for other things.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
(male)

nascaroller HB User

yes, she says she wants help. although without benefits its hard for us to come up with any medication. i know yoga, meditation, exercise would help, its not a final answer. hate to just throw away a relationship......

Old 05-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

don't look at it as throwing away a relationship.....
look at it as saving yourself a lot of pain and heartache

Old 05-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Larrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB User

If she really does want help, she can do a little leg work and find psychiatrists who might charge on a sliding scale according to her salary, she could go to the county hospital and get information about a discount program. She will have to do some work and spend some money, which is why I asked if she really wants help. She's going to have to do some serious research and leg work, just to GET to the help, and once she gets to the help, then a lot of work to get healthy. It won't be easy, so she is going to have to really want it for herself. There is help out there, even if you don't have medical insurance, but you have to be really really proactive and motivated to find it and make use of it.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascaroller View Post
yes, she says she wants help. although without benefits its hard for us to come up with any medication. i know yoga, meditation, exercise would help, its not a final answer. hate to just throw away a relationship......

I hadn't heard that yoga, meditation and exercise were effective treatments for bipolar. If they are, there should be some research to back it up.

Does SHE practice yoga, meditation and exercise? Is she at all interested in any of them?

Old 05-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #13
(male)

nascaroller HB User

Copy that !

Old 07-08-2010, 05:23 AM   #14
(female)

deeneedsfixed HB User

As a 38 year old woman who was just recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder, I have to disagree with all of the advice to just remove yourself from your relationship of 4 years just because your gf hasn't been able to get help. THat being said however, there IS help for people who need it. I live in a very small town in Oklahoma that has not just one, but TWO different places, no actually make that 3 places where people who do not have medical insurance can go for help. THere ARE state-funded programs available that offer plenty of help for people who want to get better. ANd that is the reason I say you shouldn't just leave the relationship...because I saw where you posted that your gf WANTS to get better. If she is being honest about that and not just saying what she thinks you want to hear to keep you, then I think her (and your) next step is to investigate looking for places such as the ones available here in my town.
I know how hard it is for you, believe me. I have been in a relationship with a wonderful and very supportive guy for a year now (we've known each other since we were 12 or 13 years old though) and it has been hell for him on a daily basis at times and he NEVER just walked out on me. He did, however, strongly advise me to seek treatment for this if I wanted our relationship to last. It wasn't a threat, merely a fact. I have been showing serious signs of bipolar for years, but thought it was just insecurities brought on by things that had happened to me in my marriage and other relationships. Until one day my parents had me read an article they had found over this horrible, life-altering disease. It was like being punched in the stomach the day I started to realize that it wasn't just insecurities making me act the way I was acting...it was horrible to have to try and accept the fact that i may have to deal with this for the rest of my life and be on medication for it. Your gf definitely needs to stop the drinking and in a hurry. I was addicted to pain pills for years and years and have been clean for a year-and-a-half now and all self-medicating does is make things much much worse, which I'm sure you know.
I think that you should helpl her investigate and look for one these state-funded places like I mentioned before and be there for her AS LONG AS SHE WILL GET THE HELP!! Because I do agree with everyone else about the fact that you also have to put yourself first if she isn't willing to do the work necessary to save herself and in the process save your relationship. I was willing and I've been on medication for about 6 weeks now and have finally started to see some positive effects from taking it. They will start on medication and watch her closely to monitor side effects and to make sure they have the right combo of meds that will most benefit her and they will change the combos whenever necessary until they have the perfect fit that is specific to your gf's problems. Good luck with this....she(and you)will definitely need it. Try and remember to be patient especially once her treatment starts, and always remember....this isn't a choice she made for herself, she is sick and needs help. Now it's just if she is willing to do what she needs to for getting better....I love myself, my children, and my bf(who will hopefully someday much more than that)enough to want to get better. Ask your gf the same question and see what she does then....much luck to you both.

Closed Thread