It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
(female)

kcaro HB User
Boyfriend is back from studying abroad

Man i feel like I have nothing to worry about compared to most people here...

Welp, my boyfriend just got back from studying abroad in Spain for three months. We've managed to stay in contact via Skype and we frequently sent little things in the mail for each other. My boyfriend was great while away. We talked almost everyday and I have no complaints about his time abroad. I never felt like I was forgotten about or anything like that. If anything, I think the time apart made us a even better couple.

I still haven't seen him in person yet. I'll see him and spend the whole summer with him in two weeks. We attend the same University, so he'll always be close by.

My concern and the point of this is that I'm really worried that things are going to be awkward and weird when we are finally reunited. What can I do to prevent this?

This is first time any of us have ever gone through anything of this nature. We have discussed this issue before and he said that he won't feel weird at all, but he's concerned about me feeling awkward when we are finally face to face too!

I want nothing more than to be reunited with him and continue being the couple that we were before he left without the awkwardness and the "getting used to him again" part.

Help!

I should also mention that we were only exclusive for a month before he left. Don't let the lack of longevity in our relationship fool you. We are very much committed to each other and making our relationship last.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User
Re: Boyfriend is back from studying abroad

I dont think you have anything to worry about. My husband was in the army, and he would spend long periods of time away. The longest was 18 months! I had the same feelings, and yes....some things had changed. For instance, one of the times he had come back, he had started drinking coffee......."WE" were not coffee drinkers! lol. Another time he came home, and he had developed a whole new list of food's that he WOULD NOT touch. However, at the end of the day, it was easy to get back together. If anything, it kinda felt like being newly-wed's, all over again. After 3 months.......well I cant really imagine that anything big has changed in his life. Yes he went to a different country, but he went there to study. He may have picked up a few new favorite foods, but aside from that, I'm pretty confident he hasn't changed all that much. My guess is the two of you will fall right back into old patterns, as soon as you see him. Just dont get upset if he want's to spend some time with his family and friends at first also. Other then that, you should be golden! Good luck!

Old 06-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
(female)

kcaro HB User
Re: Boyfriend is back from studying abroad

You're absolutely right. I now feel like I'm worrying about nothing at all! Thank you for your input. I can't even imagine being away from a significant other for 18 months. Glad to read you and your husband made it work!

Closed Thread