It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
(female)

BeachMama HB UserBeachMama HB User
Question Would a sociopath return to his victim a year later?

Recently I stumbled on the term sociopath (or antisocial personality disorder) and realized it described my former friend perfectly.

This man has nearly every characteristic of a sociopath. He is 38 and single. He works a job where he's locked in an office all day, away from human interaction. He lies, manipulates, steals, has sex with underage girls and he plays on people's sympathies. He has no long-term friends. He has had "relationships" in which the women emerge emotionally battered with no self-esteem. He expertly lures people close to him and then dumps them in the most cold-hearted and unexpected manners. He sets people up just to harm them viciously, and then makes them feel they are crazy or they deserved it ("gaslighting").

Upon meeting this man, anyone would easily believe he's a humble, nice guy. The problem is, he is acting. In reality he's a freak who spends much of his time luring strangers online for sex. He disturbingly great at this game. He also has dogs who are VERY jumpy around people - which makes me suspect abuse

Anyway my question is this: IF this person is truly a sociopath, would he return to the same "victim" a year after he's used up and discarded her? What would be the point of doing that - it seems a sociopath would forget someone once he was done with her? (This is a woman who he had used and abused more ways than I can count. She seemed vaguely aware that something is wrong with him, yet she allowed him to harm her over and over before he dumped her. I doubt she understands the true nature of this man's character. Or maybe she feels she can "save" him or break down his walls. How wrong she is! Poor soul.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Would a sociopath return to his victim a year later?

well yes, why not if the victim is willing!

Old 11-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
(female)

Sunka HB User

I heard that a sociopath wants what they want, regardless of right or wrong. Right or wrong is not a definition they would use. The man you describe does sound like a socipath, but then again I've known many single men that behave that way without the label. That's why they're single. If the woman is a friend of yours, the best thing you can do is to remind her of his past behavior and how badly she felt during the abuse. "Saving" is a classic reason for a person to go back with the abuser. If you see her being physically abused, urge her to get help and be there for her. Good luck to you all.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

Yes, it would surely save him the effort of breaking in a new victim. As long as he can get some twisted pleasure from further abuse, he will always take this easier path.

Closed Thread