It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Lady1121 HB User
Being with a younger man.

How do you feel about it?

I am 44 and met a very nice and handsome 28 year old man. He is mechanic and works at a dealership fixing vehicles.

For a little background I divorced a man a little over a year ago that was never physically abusive but emotionally and mentally was. I have a 19 year old daughter that has left for college.

Now, I don't consider myself a "cougar" and until I met him never really thought about dating a younger man, but when I am with him it is always a blast!

I had been on several dates with men my age previously but many were either too stuck in their ways or not as active as I would have liked.

I know I'm not the youngest gal around, and I don't try to pretend I am, but I still love getting out there, traveling, doing fun unique things, and that is what I do with him. Just a while back we went camping and canoeing and it was SO much fun!

He has always been very kind and respectful, and not once have I ever felt like I was his "mom". He even helped me do some work on my house and does little things like takes out the trash and helps with the dishes etc.; more than my husband ever did.

We have been seeing each other for 6 months now.

What do you think? Could this work, or am I just looking at this with rose-tinted glasses? We really don't argue or fight much, sometimes our age difference does cause a few issues or misunderstandings but it's never been bad and he's always been patient and understanding. Hell, he even went with me when I went to get my mammogram haha.

He even brought up the talk about kids, saying he doesn't care and he's just happy to be with a good woman. I realize that certainly there is a worry about him leaving for a younger woman, but, it's not as if guys my age don't either.

He has never pressured me into doing anything I don't feel comfortable doing and that means sooo much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

cryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB User
Re: Being with a younger man.

yes it could work, age is only a number , hes an adult, your an adult so your both old enough and mature enough to make a age gap relationship work. so long as you both want the same things, have same morals etc then you two should be fine. you only live once take a chance and have fun on the way. you spent years with a person who wasnt truly nice to you so you go out there and grab life,love,happiness while you can. dont worry about other people.

The Following User Says Thank You to cryingforever For This Useful Post:
Lady1121 (12-25-2010)
Old 12-26-2010, 06:24 AM   #3
(male)

tomkay30 HB User

Hi there. Well, I could give you some background on my situation which I hope will help you. I met a woman about 3 years ago when I was 34 at a wedding. She was 53 at that time and we immediately hit it off. It started off just being friends and spending time together eating out, watching movies, etc. After a few weeks we became romantically involved and started a great relationship together. I met her family who were for the most part accepting of me. Pretty much all my family live in a different continent, so it was never an issue. The only problem, and the one that pretty much ended our relationship, was her 22 year old daughter who lived and was studying in a different city. She was completely alone there and desperately wanted a family member to be there with her. My girlfriend felt pressured to be by her side and after much agonizing and heartbreak, I told her it was ok for her to go live near her daughter, 2000 miles away! Since I had my own business, we understood that I couldn't move with her and it effectively ended our relationship.
That was a year ago. Since that time we have been constantly communicating with each other through all means (phone, email, txt). She currently has come back to my city for a few weeks to visit her relatives and we have been together almost everyday. We understand that we have very deep feelings for each other and long to be together again. I'm currently contemplating selling my business and moving together with her and eventually marrying her. She is now 56 and I'm 37.
People have said to me that I'm crazy to be in love with such an older woman. They all say I should be with a woman my own age. But here's the thing...I have been with women my own age and I have never loved anyone as strongly and deeply as I have her. I look past the little wrinkles around her eyes and brow, and see the most beautiful woman in the world. The one I want to be with.
So what is the bottom line? If you truly love this man, and he truly loves you, and you both understand and accept the situation, there is no reason in the world for both of you not to be together. Don't ever sacrifice your happiness just because people do not approve. You are in control of your life, and if it feels right then go for it. I have never regretted my decision.

The following user gives a hug of support to tomkay30:
Lady1121 (12-26-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to tomkay30 For This Useful Post:
Lady1121 (12-26-2010)
Old 01-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Lady1121 HB User

Wow, thank you. I love hearing those stories.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

cryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB User

thats a beautiful story tomkay30 i kept going ''awwww thats so sweet'' lol. anyway so Lady1121 , do you think you will go through with it and take a chance on happiness? remember age is only a number, so long as your both happy and on the same page no reason why it couldnt/wouldnt work.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:31 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Lady1121 HB User

Yeah, I think so, he is so mature and fun!

Old 01-04-2011, 12:34 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

excellent, well good luck with love and happiness dont worry about anything at all. we only live once so might aswell fill it with good positive things :-)

Old 01-04-2011, 01:43 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Ely4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB User

Relationships with "large" age gaps can and do work, some might fail but then so do a lot of relationships where the couples are of similar ages, there are no guarantees.

Life is too short, and no-one knows what is around the corner. If you both want this and you're both happy then go for it.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Lady1121 HB User

It's real sweet hearing stories like that. What bothers me is why is it okay for older guys to date younger women but not vice versa?

My brother is 44 and he's with a 25 year old woman and no one is calling HIM a cradle robber

Closed Thread