It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
(female)

harfordgirl HB User
Why do adult kids ignore parents on holidays

I don't know if this is the correct place for this question. A friend of mine and his wife didn't hear from any of their children on Christmas. Does anyone have any insight into a situation like this? I have a wonderful relationship with my kids except for the usual nonsense, so I don't understand it at all and don't know what to do to comfort him. He's still distraught. I might add he and his wife aren't close, but have been married for 40 years.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Larrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB User
Re: Why do adult kids ignore parents on holidays

There is probably a very complex, complicated family dynamic going on in their situation, so we couldn't hazard to guess why the kids don't come or even call on Christmas. But generally, I think that grown, adult kids will come home for the holidays if it's a home worth coming home to. The fact that they have been married for 40 years but are "not close" suggests that their home may not be the happiest place in the world, and the kids, now grown and calling their own shots, are anxious to get away from the dysfunction and enjoy their own lives. I'm only guessing at this of course. We'd need a great deal more information to get a better grasp of what's really going on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread