It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
(male)

AustralianKing HB User
Urgent Job situation

Hello

I have been working at the same place for 3 years now. 2 years into my job, I was given a promotion into a new department at the same place. I was working as a Client Services officer before the promotion and then I was given an opportunity to join our IT department.

I told them I didnt know the first thing about IT but they said they would train me from scratch. They wanted me in that dept because of my people skills I assume.

Anyway, i signed the new contract and only after that, my new boss gets me in his office and tells me my first duty is to spy on the others!! I told him no but he said to please do it. He then told me that if i told anyone he would hunt me down and hell would break loose.

After that, he paid for my new training but I have now realised I hate IT!! On top of that, the department dont include me in anything. I overheard them saying how they should have employed someone who knows things. I also heard them say they dont want to train me, mainly because they hate our boss.

So I came into this dept being caught in the middle of a war between the dept and the boss. I was also promised a pay increase with this new job and when I asked my boss the other day when exactly that would be he said "your still young, dont worry about that right now".

What does everyone think about this? Its caused me so much stress and angst. I feel bad for telling him I hate the training course i'm doing and i hate the job. There is also no direction of where my job is meant to be heading...my introduction to the dept was just so sloppy.

He said I dont have relevant qualifications. I have a bachelors degree and two diplomas, why should i have to study all over again for this new job that I dont like anymore? I'm also expecting a baby with my wife next year and need to know what salary I can expect, that i was promised. Im working for peanuts!

What does everyone think?

Last edited by AustralianKing; 03-21-2011 at 12:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2011, 02:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User
Re: Urgent Job situation

Often, in a bad economy, you have no options but tolerating a situation.

Maybe you are isolating yourself too much. Can't you try to make new friends here?

Can you go back to your former position?

Or can you look for another job in another place in the meantime?

Last edited by pendulum; 03-21-2011 at 02:39 AM.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:55 AM   #3
(male)

AustralianKing HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendulum View Post
Often, in a bad economy, you have no options but tolerating a situation.

Maybe you are isolating yourself too much. Can't you try to make new friends here?

Can you go back to your former position?

Or can you look for another job in another place in the meantime?
Thanks for the reply. I have known these guys for 3 years and we all got on well before I was moved into their dept. Its all about politics.

My boss told me the staff in the dept are very closed and its my job to open them up. This is not my job to do that I think, he should hire a psychologist to do that, not me.

Normally when a new person enters a new dept, the dept are meant to welcome and show the new person the ropes. This hasnt happened despite me asking and asking to be shown.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User

As far as I can see, this organization is likely to collapse sooner or later.

They mistreat and disrespect their employees.

They have no clue about what to do or are just too lazy.

They don't even understand one another and look at one another with suspicion.

The future doesn't look bright here.

Can't you move on?

Old 03-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
(male)

AustralianKing HB User

I know. I'm failing this training course they want me to do too.....Its just not me. I already have a university degree and two diplomas.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

CadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB User

I'm in a similar boat. I got moved to a new department with very little training and have way too many duties and now they are giving me a hard time about making mistakes. Well, duh!! I am under intense pressure and am new and they are surprised I make mistakes??!!

I have decided to let them know I'm pursuing another job. They can let me go if they want (then I get unemployment) but I plan to work there until I give notice (maybe another 3-4 weeks).

Can you possibly stay there while you look for another job? I know the economy is awful and with a baby on the way you may feel stuck...or, it may be the right thing for you because a good opportunity may be heading your way. I'd advise to keep your current job while you search for another one.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
(male)

AustralianKing HB User

Thank you for your reply. Its so stressful isnt it. I will stay here till I get a new job. I just feel so guilty leaving because they let me do this training course and i have realised its not for me. And there are plenty of jobs i can apply for with more money. And at this point in my life, I need to think about money as its just not me anymore. I have others to think about. And for my boss to brush my concern off saying im still young does not impress me.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:22 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Ely4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB UserEly4 HB User

Finding a new job would be the best solution. However, don't feel guilty. Your boss wanted you to spy on your coworkers and then threatened you not to tell anyone. He doesn't deserve your guilt.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
(male)

AustralianKing HB User

UPDATE: On Friday, I spoke to the HR director about my issues. She said that they value me more than my boss as they do not really like him. She said it would be a shame to see me go because of a man like him.

My boss came and asked me to see him in his office a few hours later. He closed the door and said "I have heard you been talking about your issues to other people, it annoys me when people do that and if it ever happens again it will backfire on you, bigtime." I told him that i have spokent ohim about all this heaps of times.

This is the second threat he has issued me. The first being that if i told anyone he asked me to spy then he would hunt me down and hell would break loose.

I havent told anyone about this latest threat.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

CadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB User

Go immediately to HR and tell them he threatened you! Even though obviously HR is telling your boss about your conversations, which should be totally against policy, you need to report this. And let them know if it continues you'll be forced to seek outside representation. Geez, what is this guy's problem, doesn't he know there's labor laws??!!

Old 03-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadenceA View Post
Go immediately to HR and tell them he threatened you! Even though obviously HR is telling your boss about your conversations, which should be totally against policy, you need to report this. And let them know if it continues you'll be forced to seek outside representation. Geez, what is this guy's problem, doesn't he know there's labor laws??!!
This is blackmail. Yet, the situation could be more complex that it looks like.
Your boss is totally in the wrong, yet it seems that there is someone or something backing him, if you see what I mean.

If you report him to HR, they may ask you to document his threats. How are you going to do that? It is your word against his.

I feel for you. Yet, I like the idea of your seeking outside representation or guidance about what to do.

In the worst-case scenario, you would put up with this situation and carry on with your job, while at the same time looking for another position in another company.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

trystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB User

I would go back to hr and tell them what he just told you. Document everything. That way you'll have amunition until you can find another job. Can you ask HR to transfer you?

Old 03-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Most companies (depending on size) have very strict rules against retaliation, such as what your boss is trying to do to you. I would look in your employee handbook and see what it says. At my company they take that stuff very seriously and have a zero tolerance policy for retaliation if someone reports someone for something.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #14
(male)

AustralianKing HB User

Thanks for your replies. I will be hving an appointment with the HR director and after that I have made an appointment with my boss and will tell him directly its not on.

I think I just may have to leave, once I have found a job. I don't want to leave because I have so many friends and work with such wonderful people. Not necessarily the ones in my dept!

Closed Thread