It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
(female)

GinaAb HB User
Hubby obssessed with conspiracy theories

My husband listens to conspiracy theories, corruption, cover-ups and so on..... It's saying the economy is going to collpase and people will be starving and killing each other for food and so on and so on and so on.........

Deleted

Today is my birthday. I wake up. My husband immediately starts on all of this, like he does nearly every morning. "We need to get passports in case we need to flee the country" and on and on..... No "good morning" no "happy birthday".

I am so depressed. He came to me a little while ago with a birthday gift and a card. I genuinely appreciate it. But I'm so depressed I couldn't even smile when he gave it to me I just said thank, you that is very pretty, thank you. I knew he could tell I am upset - it's obvious. But I can't help it. I have tried talking to him numerous times, but he says, what? Are we supposed to pretend it's not happening and not prepare?

- but even if it is true - what can I do? I can't carry the world on my back! I can't fix everything. If this is all going to happen as he says - I can't stop it, now can I? Ok, I'll get a passport, ok, I'll stock up on food and water, just in case.... But do we have to talk about this every day? Gloom and doom daily????????? Life has no JOY anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Thanks for listening and any feedback.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-20-2011 at 09:40 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to GinaAb:
Texa (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
(female)

rosebud55 HB Userrosebud55 HB Userrosebud55 HB Userrosebud55 HB User
Re: Hubby obssessed with conspiracy theories

Hi. I read your post and it sounds a lot like my husband and other men I know, all in their 50's and up. I used to become very upset and depressed hearing nothing but negative stuff all the time.
I agree with some things, storing food, water and supplies. But I don't want to hear it day after day about how the world is going to end, the money is going down, etc. So I finally told my husband that he needs to find people to talk with who want to hear all this stuff. At first he was angry but now he keeps it to himself and doesn't go over and over it with me every day.
I agree with you, this world has many problems but I want to enjoy the life I have, even if it ends tomorrow. I do believe in being prepared as best as possible and other then that, I want to be happy. Just wanted you to know that you are not alone out there. I know several other men and a few women who listen to the same programs for hours on end, like my husband and yours.
I will just not allow it to consume my life and make me depressed because that is what happens. Best wishes to you.

The following user gives a hug of support to rosebud55:
GinaAb (07-21-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to rosebud55 For This Useful Post:
GinaAb (07-21-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
(female)

renko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB User
Re: Hubby obssessed with conspiracy theories!!

Hi, I can imagine what a downer you are living through with your husband's assessment of what the world is coming to. I think many people are discouraged with our government and what is going on and I believe things are going to change and not for the better but I believe you can't dwell on the negative every day of your life on this earth. There are beautiful things to see and things to look forward to. I can't occupy my mind with all the negative things in the news, etc. You can tell you husband you can't listen to him anymore about these things and will set boundaries in what you will hear or not hear and that he may have to see someone to calm himself down or he will get sick with stress of things that haven't happened yet. Do you have friends or family you can be with or call to do positive and fun things. Are you both retired? He needs a hobby or something else to think about. Does he enjoy other people's company? Has he always been this way or has it been recent? I know that God is in control of the future and we can't control what happens in the larger scale of things but we can control what we listen to and what we want to fill our minds with. Good music, hobbies, helping others who are needy, etc. Best wishes to you.

The following user gives a hug of support to renko:
GinaAb (07-21-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to renko For This Useful Post:
GinaAb (07-21-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
(female)

renko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB User
Re: Hubby obssessed with conspiracy theories!!

Gina, I have never heard of Alex Jones and looked him up. He is a bit radical and when I read some of his ideas and thoughts my mind came up with unbalanced. I think we should have balanced ideas and have peace each day if at all possible with our fellow man and ourselves. Feeding ourselves with all these men and women who have conspiracy theories can be a bit disturbing. I hope you can relay your feelings to your husband and tune out a lot of this stuff.

The following user gives a hug of support to renko:
GinaAb (07-21-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to renko For This Useful Post:
GinaAb (07-21-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
(female)

GinaAb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud55 View Post
Hi. I read your post and it sounds a lot like my husband and other men I know, all in their 50's and up. I used to become very upset and depressed hearing nothing but negative stuff all the time.
I agree with some things, storing food, water and supplies. But I don't want to hear it day after day about how the world is going to end, the money is going down, etc. So I finally told my husband that he needs to find people to talk with who want to hear all this stuff. At first he was angry but now he keeps it to himself and doesn't go over and over it with me every day.
I agree with you, this world has many problems but I want to enjoy the life I have, even if it ends tomorrow. I do believe in being prepared as best as possible and other then that, I want to be happy. Just wanted you to know that you are not alone out there. I know several other men and a few women who listen to the same programs for hours on end, like my husband and yours.
I will just not allow it to consume my life and make me depressed because that is what happens. Best wishes to you.
Hi, thank you so much! I think I needed someone to say exactly what you said. I am going to talk to him and although I'm not going to tell him about the fact that I posted this in a message board; I'm going to quoate some of the things you said verbatim, because you hit the nail right on the head, so to speak....

Thank you again!

Old 07-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
(female)

Hi Gina, I agree, no point in telling him you are seeking some advice on how to handle his obsession, will only get him mad.
I have agreed to freeze dried foods, storing water and other supplies for cooking, etc. And he seems to be okay with that although I know he would love it if I would sit and listen to all those programs and get "on board" as he says.
I just remind him he is not "on board" with the things I would like either, like spending more time with friends and family. My husband comes home from work and eats and then goes straight to those radio shows.
Drives me crazy. I feel like he is missing out on life, but he doesn't see it that way. And, I think he feels he is trying to protect his family against the government and what is happening in the world. I appreciate that, but on the other hand, I don't think he wants a wife who is full of anxiety and depression worrying about this stuff. Good luck and good hearing back from you.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I'd just tell him that he can either get busy living or get busy dying, it's his choice. I'd ask him whether he wants to live out his "last days" huddled up at home crying about it or would he rather get out in the world and live life to its fullest while he still can, before everything goes to hell in a handbasket. Seriously, it boggles my mind to see how people like him would rather sit there whining about this and that instead of making the most of what's still good in this world.

He needs a huge wakeup call. You should find a way to hook him up with someone who has a terminal illness and only has very precious short time to live. I've read countless inspirational stories about people like that who treat each and every day as a precious gift because they know their time is limited. And in their case it usually really is limited whereas in your husband's case it's all in his head and he needs something major like that to snap him out of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kszan For This Useful Post:
GinaAb (07-21-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
(female)

GinaAb HB User

Hi Kszan,

I agree with everything you said, thank you so much for your reply! Ironically though - he has been close to someone with a terminal illness. His wife before me died slowly of cancer. She died young, at age 46. He fought hard to keep her alive. He even took her to some overseas alternative treatment clinic for a month, and paid out of pocket. But irregardless - I do agree with you and see your point. I am losing my mind with all of this gloom and doom. He believed they have built concentration camps here in the USA for we citizens. I do not know if it's true, but I hope it's not. Like I said in my previous posting - if it is true, there is nothing I can do about it other than prepare as best I can. Talking about it, harping on it day after day after day only serves to make both us depressed. I wish I could smash his radio.

Thanks again

Old 07-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
(female)

GinaAb HB User

Wow Rosebud55, your husband sounds exactly like mine. They'd probably get along very well.

I do intend to take your advice and live it from now on....

Thank you so much

Old 07-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB UserBeaTrade HB User

Sounds like someone else I'd heard a friend talking about...pretty much they are brain washed by a certain church group they belong to. Is this the case with your husband? He's radical...there have been radical dooms day groups forever. It's funny the world still hasn't ended...HA!

Last edited by BeaTrade; 07-21-2011 at 07:04 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BeaTrade For This Useful Post:
GinaAb (07-22-2011)
Old 07-22-2011, 06:32 AM   #11
(female)

Hi Gina, laughed when I read you would like to "smash his radio". I have thought about that several times myself. You are right, pointing out how precious life is for some does not work because I believe listening to these stations is like an addiction in a way. They get hooked. And, there are many, many other people the same way as these stations have people who call in and talk about what they believe. In fact, my husband I went to see a friend I went to high school with and both her and her husband listen to the same stations, never knew that until we got to their place and boy, it was a long weekend if you know what I mean.
Also my dad and my husband, along with my dad's retired friends, all get together and talk about the government and the conspiracy against the Americans. Lucky for me, mom likes to sit in the other room and talk about other things like I do. I'm telling you, you are not alone. I did make my husband promise that when my friends come over, he will not start what I call "preaching" about his beliefs. It's like he feels he needs to spread and word and protect everyone we know. I told him if someone asks, fine, if not, be quiet. Would like to have people over and be able to laugh and have a good time without worrying about what is going to happen in the end.
it's not that I want to be blind about what's going on in the world, but you can only prepare so much without in becoming all consuming and stressing one out. Take care

Old 07-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #12
(female)

GinaAb HB User

I am astounded at how your husband and father sound like my husband. Some of our friends and even relatives have stopped coming around, or come around less. Some of his family has stopped inviting us over. He is doing as you described - preaching it to everyone, thinking he has a responsibility to wake people up and spread the word. I suspect people think he is a "flake." I told him, people are going to think you're a nut, and if all of this is true, you talking about it to everyone is only going to make you a "target" of the people you're preaching to others about. If it is true, you need to stay under the radar, not make yourself a target, geez...

His cousin is the same way - and he commented the other day that his girlfriend (they're in their 60's) had said to him, "gee John, we've lost most of our friends".....
It's because he preaches about this to everyone....

By the way, my husband started in again this morning over our morning coffee.....and I politely told him, I can not take it anymore. I am willing to discuss and take action on preparations, like storing food and water. But I do not want to hear anymore specific stories of what you heard on the radio or tv. I know what is going on, I am aware, but I do not want to hear the specifics about the latest broadcast. No more. I do not want to discuss it anymore. I can't take it. You are making me depressed and yourself depressed and our life is nothing but negativity. There is no joy, no laughter, just negativity, gloom and doom, you must stop, or I am going to shoot myself, do you understand?

He essentially said ok, he'll stop telling me about all of this.....

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:57 AM   #13
(female)

Hi Gina, get prepared. I have told my husband over and over to stop discussing this stuff with me and it works, for a short time, and then he starts in again.
I asked him, "what would he like us to do about it". Even if I believe all this stuff, and I don't believe it all, what can I do about it today? He tells me he just doesn't want me to be in the dark. But I told him that really one of us stressing over this stuff is enough, one of us needs to keep up some humor, keep friends and a life for us going.
For a while we stopped having friends over and I was very upset about that because friends are very important in life, at least to me they are. So he agreed not to speak to my friends about his theories and now they are coming back around.
He's happy I'm for preparing, like buying supplies and storing them. Other then that, I don't want to hear what these radio people think. I tried to tell my husband there are mentally ill people out there who call into these shows, they can claim to be anyone they want, like ex Generals and all that, claim to have inside information, doesn't mean it's true.
Boy, our husbands do sound alike. Stick your ground and try not to get stressed about all the negative air, it really bothers me too. My husband is a good man, hard worker and loves his family. I used to think my dad and his friends were over the top and now my husband and some of our friends have joined in. Geez.

The following user gives a hug of support to rosebud55:
GinaAb (07-22-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to rosebud55 For This Useful Post:
GinaAb (07-24-2011)
Old 07-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

trystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB User

If it were my husband, I'd encourage him to see a mental health professional. If he refused to do so, I'd have some serious thinking to do because to me this would be a deal breaker. It would be impossible for me to live with someone like this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trystme For This Useful Post:
cryingforever (07-22-2011), GinaAb (07-24-2011)
Old 07-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Larrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB User

I can understand being passionate about your world view, and even mistrusting the government to a degree, but truly believing that the government is building concentration camps goes beyond that. It's borderline delusional. I would suggest he see a doctor as well, but I doubt he will go. I don't know what else you can do but respectfully but firmly tell him you don't care to hear anymore, and then get up and walk away whenever he starts. And hope it doesn't get any worse.

The following user gives a hug of support to Larrylou'smom:
GinaAb (07-24-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Larrylou'smom For This Useful Post:
GinaAb (07-24-2011)
Closed Thread