It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
(female)

Twisted Metal HB UserTwisted Metal HB User
why do people make fun of/tease eachother?

Whether it is to someone's face or behind their backs, why do people make fun of eachother? It makes me sick.

All my coworkers at my old job and my job now all make fun of eachother behind their backs and make fun of me behind my back. They say things about other people like they talk funny or look like a turtle or are fat or their pants are ugly or their hair is stupid... and im 24 some of these bullies are my age and some are in their 40's

At my old job it was worse, worse names like stupid, ugly, fa***t, but it seems everywhere people tease other people to much.

I never do this i never could i think it is so wrong to laugh at someone else's expense. Don;t they relize they are causing other people emotional pain and are laughing at it?

why do people do this? What are your thoughts?

Old 04-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: why do people make fun of/tease eachother?

i think it's terrible that there are bullies in the world.....just like there are bullies on the playground when we're kids, there are also workplace bullies. sometimes i wonder if it's the same ones that were bullies as kids, or maybe they were bullied themselves and now they've turned into bullies as adults. There are laws against workplace bullying, if you need to contact your human resources department, document everything.....dates, times, what was said to whom, who was present, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Larrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB User

People who bully or tease are petty and insecure. I agree with Rose, no reason why you should put up with it. You can stand up for yourself and tell them outright that they are creating a hostile work environment, you are there to work, not to be their punching bag, and if they don't knock it off you'll be forced to go to HR. That should shut them up. If it doesn't, go to HR and have them shut them up.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

Take the higher road. Start giving out compliments. I like to kill mean people with kindness. Saying a simple thing like, "your hair looks really nice today...." or "how was your weekend?" really throws people off and can even turn around what they say about you and other people.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
(female)

mistycloud HB User

Because some people are just bored and unhappy with their own lives so they seek out others who are the same (misery loves company) and then they try to bring others down to their level. The end.

You can't take their teasing personally. Realize that you are in a much better place and probably happier in your life so you don't have to resort to teasing and putting down others to make yourself feel better.

And unfortunately, you cannot change people like that. They have to understand their own motivations and want to change.

Last edited by mistycloud; 04-27-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: bc

Old 04-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
(female)

Linnia HB UserLinnia HB UserLinnia HB UserLinnia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Metal View Post
Whether it is to someone's face or behind their backs, why do people make fun of eachother? It makes me sick.

All my coworkers at my old job and my job now all make fun of eachother behind their backs and make fun of me behind my back. They say things about other people like they talk funny or look like a turtle or are fat or their pants are ugly or their hair is stupid... and im 24 some of these bullies are my age and some are in their 40's

At my old job it was worse, worse names like stupid, ugly, fa***t, but it seems everywhere people tease other people to much.

I never do this i never could i think it is so wrong to laugh at someone else's expense. Don;t they relize they are causing other people emotional pain and are laughing at it?

why do people do this? What are your thoughts?
You may also be making yourself a target by getting so upset. It sucks that it happens and it's not right, but sometimes victims can make it worse for themselves by acting like a bleeding heart in front of everyone.

(I'm not saying it's your fault, it's theirs, but you could be encouraging the behaviour with your reactions - half the fun out outright teasing is getting a reaction out of someone (Even if it's an uncomfortable one) and when there's no reaction or it gets thrown back at them = no fun).

I guess what's not clear is how you're hearing about them making fun of you, or is it just everyone's participating in the office gossip pool and you know that since they're making fun of everyone else, they have to be making fun of you?

If it's just generalized slamming of everyone, you may have to start working on it person by person. Next time you're around someone, and the whole bashing of someone else starts, keep a very friendly, non-confrontational voice and say "Do we really want to be talking about this at all? I mean, it's just so high school the way it comes up, and I know you've got so much more interesting things to talk about![list off a subject you know may get them chattering - kids, pets, hobbies, something you know they're good at]. I mean, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like it if so and so were talking about [an obvious flaw of theirs] and I don't like hearing about [target], I'd rather hear about you."

and then if you hear them do it again, gently steer them away from it. If you hear them doing it multiple times, then you can notch up the level of firmness.

People aren't stupid. They'll soon realize that you don't tolerate that sort of thing. You can't stop them from gossiping among themselves, but sometimes being the start of a change can really help.

Last edited by Linnia; 04-27-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Closed Thread