It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
(male)

Ridgemont HB User
Embarrassing in laws

My fiancés parents and my parents recently met and all was good. I was a bit worried because her mother has a foul mouth. Anyway, we have a housewarming party soon and her family will be guests as well as my family. Now here is the problem. Her family swear like there is no tomorrow and have no shame when it comes to swearing. They are a rude and crude obnoxious family except my fiancée. I'm very worried that when the party is on they will unleash all their cuss words in front of my family. My family do not really swear at least not as much as they. I made the mistake of speaking my concern to my fiancée and she defended her family by saying that's who they are and mt family need to understand that some families swear. I didn't say anything in reply. Her mum and sister are the main swearers and I am worried

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Embarrassing in laws

Gently prepare your family about their new inlaws so they won't be too offended. Hopefully, they will behave themselves and not turn the air too blue with swear words. There is not much you can do about them, but if you want to keep your fiancee, you will hold off on the criticism. Whatever they are like, they are her family and you have to accept who they are. The two families don't have to mingle much (til the wedding, LOL)..sorry, but I now have scenarios in my head....about the father of the bride speech.....Maybe they are different in public. Good luck, Sera.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
(female)

Kandles HB UserKandles HB User
Re: Embarrassing in laws

This is interesting I have a similar situation. My boyfriends family is rich (well compared to what I'm used to), snobby, judgmental, well mannered, etc... My family is.....from the ghetto basically! I was raised by my grandfather though, and for that reason I'm much more well behaved than the rest of them. I was afraid of my family meeting my boyfriends family!! I know that my mother speaks her mind and doesn't care if someone doesn't like her. It's a crazy world to mix, let me tell you that.

You have to consider what it's like for your wife (or girlfriend), your family is probably a bit odd to her too. The only thing you can really do, is ask her family to tone down the swearing a bit. Tell them that you don't mind, but it might really offend your parents. I'm sure that they respect you enough to try to tone things down!

If they don't....oh well! I think that your family should loosen up a bit and have a laugh later.

Reply Reply