It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2004, 07:03 PM   #1

ampd11 HB User
Is there anything out to treat RLS other than medication?

Hello - I think I inherited RLS from my Mom - I do not think she has it as bad as I do but I am overweight, have high blood pressure, metaboltic snydrome, sleep apnea & PLM. RLS started about three years ago and affects me during the day, for hours at a time.

The doctor has finally gotten it through my thick skull after taking a dozen different tests that I have RLS and wants to give me medication. I really do not want to take anymore more meds.

Does any one know of alternatives? Right now I punch, massage, or stretch my legs (calves) or walk but it doesn't work all of the time.

Please someone help me with suggestions!

Thanks & take care, Anna

Old 09-30-2004, 09:39 AM   #2
(female)

ggd HB User
Re: Is there anything out to treat RLS other than medication?

Anna, my husband has had RLS for many years, and only recently have we come upon a couple of things that work for him. He doesn't like to take medication either. L-tyrosine, which is an amino acid, works extremely well. He can take it, and within 15 or 20 minutes, the urge to move the legs is gone. You may need to figure out what dosage you would need. It's available at Health Food Stores, in powder, or capsule form.
The thing that works best for hubby is to cut out gluten in his diet. If he totally stays away from gluten, he has no symptoms of RLS at all, and his sleep is much better. It must work well for him, as he is a great lover of heavy breads, and he just totally stays away from anything now with gluten in it. We try to substitue with rice bread, etc, but it just isn't the same. He eats corn tortillas, and rice bread once in awhile. But rice bread is a bit crumbly and does not make for a good sandwich. I realize this may not work for everyone, but it sure works for my hubby!!!

Glenda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2004, 09:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I don't suffer from it much, but I do at times. I will take Ibuprophen (or Tylenol) and maybe a benadryl. I know you don't want meds, but those are pretty harmless. Another thing I do is take a nice warm bath and try to relax. My mom says she just gives in and flops all over the bed thrashing her legs to get it out of her system She says it works. I didn't know until today that it was an actual something that people chronically suffer from. But, who knows, maybe one of these suggestions would work? Good luck and hope you get some relief!

Old 11-13-2004, 08:41 PM   #4

CentrinoChic HB User
Lightbulb Re: Is there anything out to treat RLS other than medication?

YES!!!! There is help!!!!

I know this sounds weird but RLS is caused by a lack of Potassium in your body. So you say "Now What?" Well, Eat a banana....I'm not kidding!! Please try this and post back and let me know. Thanks!!

Old 11-15-2004, 10:34 AM   #5
(male)

JHL HB User

What foods contain gluton? Are there any foods in particular that contain a high percentage of gluton and should be avoided?

Old 11-16-2004, 04:00 PM   #6

aquabelle HB User

JHL,
Avoiding gluten is pretty much an all-or-nothing deal--to heal up from what gluten is doing to your insides. It means avoiding chicken and fish coatings, breadings, bread, cake, donut, pretzels, pasta, any baked goods at all. No gravies or sauces. Many prepared foods like canned soups have wheat flour added, so you have to start reading ingredient labels. I have to avoid gluten, and it has meant cooking meals at home mostly. Restaurants have it in many things but the staff doesn't realize it--so asking doesn't help.
Gluten is found in wheat but also in oats, barley, rye, buckwheat, plus all the varieties of wheat like spelt. The substitutes I found to use are almond meal and rice flour. No they don't work as well because they don't give elasticity or structure like wheat flour does while baking.
It's a whole new way of eating and may take you up to a year to achieve. It did me, and I think of myself as very food savvy. But just a little gluten for someone sensitive is enough to cause bowel disease and discomfort. Also you may find (as you begin to recognize exactly how you react about an hour after eating something you are allergic too) that you are also allergic to other things like dairy, soy, corn. Not always but beware. Reactions are usually, dry throat, flushed face, raised temperature, a brain buzz, even dizziness.
Taking food enzymes with your meals will help heal your condition; also a spoonful of aloe vera juice 1-2 a day with meals.
But you will never get over this problem. You will always have to eat this way. Also a natural laxative daily (with senna in it) will help your gut heal up from what gluten has done to it.
Hope this is helpful,
Carol

Last edited by aquabelle; 11-16-2004 at 04:04 PM.

Old 11-17-2004, 07:29 PM   #7

aquabelle HB User

Ann E,
Thanks for the response to my list of foods to avoid. You are right, and I am aware that these other foods are not supposed to have gluten in them. In spite of this I (in the USA) react to them in exactly the same ways as to wheat. Makes me a bit skeptical, but I am no scientist. I have been disappointed too at various grains and cereals (also tapioca, potato starch) being suggested as wheat free substitutes, but they still make me sick. Also assuming that many others would have the same experience--but perhaps not?
I should have been more precise: merely suggesting that one might also omit the others for a while and try them later when your system has calmed down a bit to see if you tolerate them.
Carol

Old 11-21-2004, 12:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

I'm surprised about all these different solutions for RLS. When my late husband had it, his doctor just suggested that he take 1000 mcg. folic acid daily, a vitamin available over the counter. That solved his problem. Then when I later started having the same problem to a lesser extent, I started taking folic acid at bedtime as well. It worked for me, too. I've found that for me, taking just 400 mcg. folic acid on top of a good diet keeps the problem at bay. So I wasn't aware that for other people, the solution might need to be different.

Old 11-28-2004, 09:05 PM   #9
(male)

Mr. Ponape HB User

Question for everyone. I've had rls for 10 yrs. got perfect relief with Zoloft. A few yrs ago I started having leg pain, well more like aching. (feels like the body ache when you have the flu) But mine is only in my legs. Has anyone ever heard of this unexplained leg pain?. I did take Lipitor but guit 2 yrs ago and take Prachchol instead. I've heard Lipitor cause leg pain in some people. But I'm not sure what causes mine. Im just looking for a cure. I take pain pills every day for relief. yes, its that bad. Im new to this group and ihope i've replied properly.
Thanks,
johnboy

Old 12-08-2004, 02:03 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

Strange how different doctors recommend things. Mine said that part is from Iron Deficiency - so I've started that along with Vitamin E. He said that this should cure everything naturally. We'll see.

Old 12-11-2004, 09:52 PM   #11

LiannaS HB User

My gp recommended that I take Slow Mag before I go to bed, it releases magnesium into the body through out the night, but I'm bad with taking pills before I go to bed, give me anything to take in the morning and I'm fine. So a while back I started taking Dolomite tablets (calsium and magnesium) for my nails and hair and apparently it helps for stress relieve if taken regularly, my rls is something of the past! But if I dont take it for a while the rls is back, so now I remember to take it every day. And it's cheap! In South Africa I pay R13 (about $2.20) for 200 tablets and I take two in the morning, the suggest intake is 3 times a day with food, but as I said, give me something to drink in the mornings I'm happy.

Old 12-19-2004, 07:41 AM   #12

rachel18 HB User

Taking medication prescribed by your doctor will not cure the cause to restless legs syndrome! It may help to calm your legs down but it will not completely get rid of the problem all together. Insufficient intake of magnesium is the major cause to restless leg syndrome.

Please look at your diet if you are suffering from restless leg syndrome do you include the following in your diet; almonds, cashews, mineral water, molasses, parsnips, soy beans, wholegrain cereals, kelp(seaweed), eggs, pumpkin and sunflower seeds. These are all high in magnesium, if you have read through these foods and know you do not eat them on a regular basis, please start to do so. While you are targeting the cause, you may not want to get off your medication right away because you will not see a result from including magnesium in your diet over night. However hopefully you will soon see results and will eventually be able to get off your medication all together.

You may also want to take a magnesium supplement to get magnesium into your system quickly and in higher doses than what you will get from the magnesium rich foods. However do include the foods in your diet at the same time, and do not just take the supplement because once you stop taking the supplement you will become insufficient again because you have no source of magnesium in your diet.

I hope this information has given you another alternative to medication and will hopefully get rid of this problem for good!

Old 12-19-2004, 07:57 AM   #13

rachel18 HB User

Sorry ampd11, i forgot to mention that hypertension will increase the demand of magnesium in your body and if you are on medication for this, especially diuretics it will affect the absorption of magnesium in your body. Therefore increasing intake of magnesium in your diet and supplementation is very important for you since you have high blood pressure.

Old 12-20-2004, 09:42 AM   #14

kat75 HB User

Thanks for the info on magnesium--I'd heard that RLS was caused by iron deficiency. Trying to stop taking drugs for this horrible stuff!

Old 03-01-2005, 09:49 PM   #15
(female)

pakemuumama HB User

I stumbled upon this board because of my foot surgery....never knew there was a message board for RLS!

I used to have get the symptoms of RLS, especially when I was tired. I would punch my legs and have to get up and walk it off...I had these unbearable energy surges throughout my entire body at times.

I am so amazed that other people are mentioning the gluten connection here! I would like to add my testimony. I found out about my allergy when I started having wheeziness, and my doc sent me to a nutritionist for elimination diet testing. After I stopped eating gluten, which wasn't hard at all really, the RLS symptoms stopped. I also became more clear and stopped having space out spells, which I'd had as far back as I can remember.

Katie

Closed Thread