It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2004, 11:40 AM   #1
(male)

JHL HB User
What is the maximun daily dosage for Magnesium?

I continue to read that a lack of magnesium (might) be a cause of RLSand so I purchased some today. The tablets I have are 250mg and (as per the label) provide 65% of the daily amount. Is there a maximum daily amount that can be taken. I'm not sure if this is like vitamin B or C where your body takes as much as it can and then discards the rest or if it's like vitamin A where there is indeed a limit as to how much the body should injest.

Thanks for all of your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2004, 04:40 PM   #2

aquabelle HB User
Re: What is the maximun daily dosage for Magnesium?

JHL,
My nutritional advisor explained to me that the maximum dose is unique for each person. Start taking it in 500-mg steps beginning at 500 per day for a few days, then up to 1000, and so on. Your body will tell you when you have reached the maximum: you will develop diarrhea (the runs). Then back off by about 500 mg, and you have your ideal level. Your body gets ride of unneeded magnesium through the gut, so except for dealing with temporary diarrhea, there are no side effects.
By the way, it's good to balance this with your calcium intake. You should be taking about twice as much magnesium as calcium. This is because lots of food in our diets provide natural or added calcium but not magnesium.
Carol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread