It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2004, 10:54 AM   #1

kat75 HB User
New here...curious on age differences with RLS

I am sure glad to find this RLS message board! Lots of good advice.

My question: How old were you when you remember your first symptoms of RLS (or when were you diagnosed?) I was curious about this because I got my RLS from my dad, but he didnt develop it until adulthood, I think. I was at least 18, more likely younger, when I remember first noticing symptoms (but I didnt know what they were.) I wondered if RLS tended to develop in younger or older people.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2004, 11:49 AM   #2
(female)

Michele12 HB User
Re: New here...curious on age differences with RLS

I got it when I was pregnant at 31. I think all my nutrients were going to the fetus. Then it got way worse after I gave birth; maybe because of blood lose and I was breast feeding. So I was up all day and up all night with a newborn. That was hell.

Michele

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2004, 05:41 PM   #3
(female)

rlslifer HB User

Hi Kat,
My first memory in life is RLS. By the time I was 3 or 4 yrs. old, I made my own hot water bottle during the night. I've had it all my life. Mine is a genetic gift from both my Mom and Dad. Almost all the people in my family have RLS to some degree. Almost all of us suffered from "growing pains" as children. I'm sure I was not the only one to have them so severely, but I'm just now getting everyone to talk about it.
My mother's side of the family is the hardest hit. My grandmother, my oldest brother, a niece, and myself, seem to be the worst. I believe that we all started life with it. My mom has a mild form, generally movement helps. Except for one 2-3 period of time before I was born. She had the creepy crawly sensations so badly she lost massive skin trying to itch them away. She was hospitalized 3 times during that time, trying to save her from massive infections. Now almost 70 she's lived with a mild form of RLS for over 40 years.
If it's a genetic form, I believe that it can start at any age. If you have RLS due to pregnancy, renial failure, injury, etc, it becomes a problem at that age, and most likely progresses for most people.
Hope this helps to answer your question.

Old 12-29-2004, 05:50 PM   #4
(female)

Michele12 HB User

Can you believe people just live with this for 40 yrs? I'd go insane!! Go to a healthfood store in your area and ask them if magnesium will help you. Yes, it will.

Old 12-29-2004, 06:27 PM   #5
(female)

rlslifer HB User

Hi Michele,
LOL Well, it was live with it.....that was the only choice I had. Bless my grandmother, she's got a severe form of RLS as well, No medications, and is 88 yrs. old. She's a tough gal.
I was raised holsitcally, we didn't go to doctors much. Even 40 years ago, my family dealt with health issues with vitamins, supplements, and herbs. I was allergic to most milk products of any kind from birth, never agreed with me. It was hard to find back then, but my Mom found soymilk for my bottles. So, from the begining they found alternative medicines for me. I just was born with a mean form of RLS and that was life. It becomes a normal way to live. Uncomfortable and in pain.
My Mom did try to seek medical attention several times for me, but they always said the same thing, "she'll grow out of it." I just simply stopped talking about it. Until about 5-6 years ago, I didn't know it had a name. I assumed that I was an odd duck and for whatever reason this was going to be my life. 9 or 10 years ago, now I broke my leg and ankle, I've never been pain free since. I never slept for longer than 1-2 hours at a time. Moved constantly. I went to several doctors in a 2 year period, trying to get answers. Nothing, it was all in my head. Injuries to my arms, back, or legs seemed to take forever to go away. Or would reinjury easily. Didn't really make sense to me. Then about 2 a.m. one night, 2 years into my own research, I found a medical report that explained everything. I cried like a baby, I was not crazy. I was not alone. I could try to get help.
HA! That was seemingly harder than I thought. I talked again to my GP and my OBGYN everytime I was in their office. Mind boggling, at best, to their reactions. My GP is a wonderful doctor and tried to help, but didn't know much about it. My OBGYN wrote in my chart Severe PMS and left it at that. Told me Midol might help. UUUfffffaaaaaaaaa! I continued to reseach and found a sleep Doc. that knew about it, and how to treat it. After 2 going on 3 years I finally have a treatment that works.
To be honest going to the doctor is one of the hardest things I do. Being raised to fix things naturally, medications are frown upon in my family. I just couldn't do it on my own anymore.
Cal/ Mag was a huge issue for me, I take large doses, but safely, in a liquid form. Took pill forms as soon as I could swallow pills as a kid. Mom has always cooked in iron skillets to increase our iron and even made me eat liver, All this without knowing that she was helping my growing pains. I've been on mutli vitamins and extra supplements all my life. It's just not enough, I so wish it were. It all came down to Quality of Life......I have some now and it's good. I hate taking medications, it's a struggle in some ways for me. The alternative was that sleep deprivation was allowing my body and mind to eat itself slowly. Quality of Life was rough for myself and my family. I really did not expect that I could live to 50 that way. I now have some hope.

Old 12-29-2004, 06:51 PM   #6
(female)

Michele12 HB User

How much cal/mag were you or are taking? I take about 650 mg of mag and 700 mg of cal.

Old 12-29-2004, 08:20 PM   #7
(female)

rlslifer HB User

Hi,
Well, when I was using cal/mag in a pill form I took 1000 IU Cal/ 600 IU Mag., 3-4 x daily. Of course, I was taking Vitamin C to help with the absorbtion of the cal/mag and my iron supplements when I took them.
I now use a liquid form that is a bit off the beaten path. It's a Neutralizer that is packed with Cal/mag, among other things. It also comes in a gel form that I use topically to help with problem areas. I have to be honest and say that the exact dose is not listed. In my family we try many different alternative medicines, supplements, vitamins, soap in bed .....etc.. This liquid cal/mag was a shock for me. It not only helped with the RLS, but it did wonders for my ailing stomach. I've used it since July of this year (2004). It's not a cure, just helps.
Trust me when I say, there aren't many things non-pharm that I haven't tried.

Closed Thread