It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2005, 04:49 PM   #1
(female)

Lil'Pea HB User
RLS and 'MIRAPEX'....

Hi all....I just saw my doc today and he says he is convinced I have RLS and wants to start me on a med called 'mirapex'....anyone heard of it? Do you know of its side affects and if it works? ANY information will be very helpful! Thank you so much! Lil'Pea

Old 03-24-2005, 09:26 AM   #2
(male)

Streetcar HB User
Re: RLS and 'MIRAPEX'....

Hey Lil'pea,

I've been taking Mirapex for RLS for a couple of years and have never had any problems with side-effects. What can be tricky is the doseage. Some RLS sufferers have found relief with taking 1/8Mg three times a day while I didn't get any relief until the doseage reached 1Mg taken once about an hour before bedtime. My Neuro said that the doseage could get as high as 1.5Mg daily, but I've never had to go that high. Be patient and communicate with your dr. about whether your particular doseage is working or not. Hope this helps!

Ken

Neuromas, Diverticulosus, IBS-C/P, Esophageal Spasms

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2005, 08:35 AM   #3
(female)

jrowley HB User

I was first given mirapex but after about two weeks it made my rls worse so my doc switched me to klonopin. Everyone is different so you won't until you try it. But you will know if it's not working.

Old 03-25-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

I tried Mirapex about six months ago and according to my wife my symptoms were actually worse. I was on .5 mg at bedtime and my wife said I jerked a lot more while on the med. My doctor DC it after about two weeks or so. I still think my problems are tied to being on Methadone for Chronic Pain problems. I'm on 180 mg a day, but I have been on high doses of Oxycontin and Duragesic patches and had no problems with night time jerking. I have been on Klonipin one(1) mg TID for several years due to the pain problems. Lately, I've been only taking it a bedtime. The effects of RLS has caused us to actually sleep in seperate rooms, as my wife still works, but I'm on disability. In order for her to get her rest, some nights we have to sleep apart. Not good!!

Last edited by RetiredDirector; 11-05-2005 at 07:24 AM.

Old 03-25-2005, 08:12 PM   #5
(female)

Lil'Pea HB User

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your replies! I still haven't tried the mirapex, but I am due to start tomorrow so I am a little nervous. I always get myself so worked up over new meds....maybe I shouldn't spend SO much time researching side effects before I start huh?? LOL... I am happy to hear though that none of you have had any crazy reactions to it, that makes me feel soooo much better.

So what's the deal with RLS anyway? Is it curable or just treatable? Does it get worse over time or stay the same? I sometimes get it in my arms too. I hate that the most!

I know what you mean about not wanted to disturb your wife! My hubby works very early in the AM and I toss and turn alot so sometimes he ends up waking often...oops! I too am on disability right now. Partly for the RLS and pain issues surrounding it, and partly for some PTSD (which I am hoping will be resolved in the near future)!

Again, thanks so much for all your replies, it really helps alot! Lil'Pea

Old 03-28-2005, 12:35 PM   #6

cindyheehaw HB User

ive been taking mirpex for 6 months and its been great for me. a side affect is sapose to be weight loss but i think my dose must be too low because im not loosing but i dont care becase im sleeping

Old 03-28-2005, 02:26 PM   #7
(female)

Lil'Pea HB User

LOl!! no kidding huh? Sleeping is good enough for me! I hope I don't lose much weight as i only weigh 110 to start with!! I appreciate everyones replies as they have eased my mind dramatically. Thank you so much. I will let you all know how it works out! Lil'Pea

Old 04-08-2005, 11:27 AM   #8
(female)

Lil'Pea HB User

well....lets just say the Mirapex did NOT work for me....it made me soooo sick I couldn't handle it. Also, it seemed to aggrivate my symptoms....has this happened to anyone? Maybe RLS is not even what i have? I go to see my doc again on monday so we'll see what he says. But I was sicker than a dog on that stuff and i started on a very low dose. I tried to be a trooper and tried for a while, but i just couldn't handle it. Also, he had me on 3 times a day....do any of you take it that often?? just when i would start to feel better, it was time to take another dose! Yuck.....any suggestions?

Old 04-08-2005, 12:21 PM   #9
(female)

lindiana53 HB User

Mirapex made me very sick at my stomach. I finally had to give it up. I was on a low dose as well.

Old 04-08-2005, 04:58 PM   #10
(female)

kentuckywoman HB User

I was just diagnosed with RLS on Monday and was prescribed Mirapex. I was to start out at 1/2 tablet .25 MG and work up to a dose that takes away the pain. I did seem to sleep better but still had a lot of leg pain and just can't keep my legs still, so I have just taken a whole tablet tonight. I am really hoping this will work, as I had thought most of my leg pain was due to Crestor to lower my Cholestrol.

Old 04-08-2005, 08:47 PM   #11
(female)

caty HB User

I have had RLS for 20 years. I tried different medications, but stopped because they made me feel drugged the next day. I've been trying to find out what triggers it in me. I've heard that it can be caffiene, too much salt, anemia, or genetics. Recently I found out that what triggers it most of the time for me is "hot" showers. I noticed that I always got an attack of RLS within 30 minutes after my shower. I started taking "warm" showers last week, and haven't had an attack since. One thing I found that gets rid of RLS when it starts is Chamimile. It gets rid of the crawling, twitchy feeling in my legs pretty quickly.

Old 04-09-2005, 12:38 AM   #12
(female)

Lil'Pea HB User

Can the chammomile be taken in tea form (if there is even another way to take it!) ? I do enjoy tea quite a bit so that would be nice. I am willing to try anything at this point! I am only 29 and I don't want to suffer with this forever....by the way, it RLS currable or only treatable? Also, does it get worse over time? Some nights it is so bad I feel like I'll go nuts! Especially when it gets into my arms as well...that is just unbearable.

I thank you so much for all your replies.....all suggestions are taken to heart! Lil'Pea

Old 04-09-2005, 04:19 PM   #13
(female)

caty HB User

I get chamomile extract from Puritan Pride catalog. I have also made my own with Celestial Seasonings chamomile tea. Everything I've read about RLS is that once it starts you will probably have it for the rest to your life. However, it comes and goes. I've gone for over a week without it--then it comes back. I get it every night for a while--then only 2 or 3 times a week. That's why I've been trying to figure out if I'm doing something that triggers it. So far the warm {instead of hot} showers have stopped it for now, but I know that it could come back anytime. I take one dropper full of the chamomile extract when I feel it coming on. It usually goes away in 20 or 30 minutes. Once in a while I take it a second time if it dosen't go away in 30 minutes--but I've only had to do that twice.

Old 04-13-2005, 09:41 AM   #14
(female)

stckstll HB User

I have been on Merapex for several years. It has been a blessing in that it gave relief to the restless leg/peroidic limb movement disorder. I have had to gradually incease the dosage over time. I suspect that it causes my body to ache. Anyone else think this? Also, Zoloft greatly increases the restless leg...stckstll

Old 04-13-2005, 06:55 PM   #15
(female)

caty HB User
Wink Re: RLS and 'MIRAPEX'....

Having to increase the dosage of a prescription for RLS is one of the reasons I tried to find another way to find relief. So far, the chamomile has worked for the last 2 years. I also take calcium, iron, B complex, and L-tryosine. I avoid antihistamines, decongestents, caffine, salt, and over excercise. If anyone tries the chamomile, let me know if it works for you.

Last edited by caty; 04-13-2005 at 07:21 PM.

Closed Thread