It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2005, 07:49 AM   #1
(female)

babykate HB User
Soap under your sheets?!?!

OK, I'll admit. I've been lurking for a little while now. When I read the post on soap under the sheets I thought you all must be crazy!!

Well, after hopping around my house on one leg two nights ago, I was desperate. I started searching my house for a bar of soap (didn't think my shower gel would work so well.) The only bar I could find was my son's $12 bar of prescription Eczema soap. Well (still thinking this was crazy) I stuck it under my sheets and guess what!!! I fell asleep!!! I kept it under there last night and had no problems!

I don't know what kind of voodoo magic this is, but I have to give you all my heartfelt thanks for a good night sleep! (And I'm taking stock in Dove)

Old 07-15-2005, 03:50 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Banana Split HB User
Re: Soap under your sheets?!?!

Just under the sheet next to your legs? That's strange.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

I tried it for my husband...and it does work................don't know why...but who cares...............

Old 07-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
(female)

sivyaleah HB User

This is an "old wive's tale" and has been proven to be of no worth. If it does work for anyone, it is more mind over matter that caused it to be so. But, if that is all you need to stop the twitching, that's great! Who's to say in the end? Most people who have tried this tho, say it didn't work. There is no scientific reason it would.

Old 07-29-2005, 09:05 PM   #5
(female)

Viclyn HB User
Talking Re: Soap under your sheets?!?!

I too thought this was a crazy idea, but I had so many sleepless nights because I suffered with RLS for years and nothing would help that I also thought what have I got to lose? So I put a bar of soap under my sheets and I sleep so good with no jerking of my legs! I don't know why this works, but I've been doing this for about a month now and I sleep so much better.
Just wanted to add my two cents and say thank you to whoever it was that was brave enough to post the idea!!!

Old 08-17-2005, 07:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

My husband didn't know i put it under the sheets. He had no idea.......and it worked....I knew it moreso than he....cause I have to sleep with those legs twitching! Not anymore~!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah

Old 09-17-2005, 12:36 PM   #7
(female)

ebullin HB User

I've posted about this subject before, but don't mind doing so again. I'd like to say about the reference to this being a "mind over matter" thing. NO WAY!!!! I DOUBTED it would work. There was no reasoning as to why it WOULD or COULD work. But I thought, "What is there to lose?" I found out the very first time and every time I have used the soap remedy. I lost the restless leg twitch!!! This is a God-send. SO simple, yet so effective. I don't know of ANYONE who has tried it and has said it didn't help them, at least somewhat. And most testify that they have the best night's sleep they've had in a long time. So all I have to say is.....try it, you'll like it.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:47 PM   #8
(female)

RaggedyPrim HB User

My 81 year old cousin told me about the soap thing...I tried it, but it didn't work for my RLS...bummer!

Old 10-13-2005, 06:30 PM   #9
(female)

OTabby HB User

I have never heard of the soap between the sheets.I don't have RLS every nite,thank God.But...
I'll be having a little CARESS under my sheets tonight !
JL

Old 10-27-2005, 06:48 AM   #10
(male)

Yikes777 HB User

What kind of soap and where do you put it? I have read about it in the newspaper and on a website last night. Do you wrap it i anything so as not to ruin the mattress? This sounds so very interesing and promising.

Thanks in advance!

Jack

Old 10-28-2005, 09:38 AM   #11

RestlessInFL HB User

Didn't work for me either! Dernit! I know it sounded too good to be true (and kind of stupid) but anyone who has severe RLS 24/7 like I do would stand on their head and cluck like a chicken if someone said it worked. I would do anything to get off these pain pills, but my doc has tried everything and nothing has worked. I work for a doctor and there is a new drug on the market called "Requip" for RLS. I tried it. I couldn't stay awake, which is a side effect that can continue even a year after starting treatment, and having to drive a 5 year old around, knowing I could pass out at the wheel with NO warning, well....no thanks. Besides, I was on it for 3 weeks and couldn't tell any difference. *sigh*

Last edited by RestlessInFL; 10-28-2005 at 12:09 PM.

Old 12-29-2005, 03:57 PM   #12
(female)

SherryE HB User

I just read not to use Dove or Dial soap if you try this method.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:10 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

It didn't work for me, but............
It really does work for a lot of people, so who cares if it's a bar of soap. Plus you won't ever have stinky feet. LOL What does work for me though is iron supplements. I've been using them since I first learned that RLS can be caused by iron defficient anemia, which is what I had. Diagnosed 10-12 years ago. Doctor told me basically to get up and walk around. Yeah, easy for HIM to say! He's not the one jogging around the living room at 2 am! I did my own research on the internet and found the iron supplements did the trick for me. Been taking 'em over 7 years now, and no more RLS (unless I forget to take it for a couple of days).

Old 12-29-2005, 09:47 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes777
What kind of soap and where do you put it? I have read about it in the newspaper and on a website last night. Do you wrap it i anything so as not to ruin the mattress? This sounds so very interesing and promising.

Thanks in advance!

Jack

This has been in the newspaper many, many, many times. Especially in Dr. Gott's column. Lots of people swear by it, and he has to admit he doesn't know why but it really seems to work. They did suggest not to use dial or dove. Some people put the small bars of hotel soap in a lingerie bag to hold them in place and not create a bump. People know that many medications are topical, so why couldn't an ingredient in the soap be absorbed through the skin even though it is not in direct contact with the skin. Molecules are very tiny. If a bio-chemist is reading, could you tell me the ingredients in soap...the bathing kind.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:54 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Valo99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivyaleah
This is an "old wive's tale" and has been proven to be of no worth. If it does work for anyone, it is more mind over matter that caused it to be so. But, if that is all you need to stop the twitching, that's great! Who's to say in the end? Most people who have tried this tho, say it didn't work. There is no scientific reason it would.
It probably is psychosomatic, but who cares if it provides relief for some people? sheeeesh

Closed Thread