It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2005, 04:53 PM   #1
(female)

Locket25 HB User
Unhappy How long 'til Magnesium works?

Would appreciate any feed back re Magnesium please! Have others found they got worse restless leg problems before it got better taking Magnesium?
My husband and I both suffer nightly but have found just the one Panadene Forte just before bed helps us but not last night after taking Magnesium twice in the day. The pain was constant so we are both frazzled this morning and wondered do we have to get worse before we get better with Magnesium?
Thanks
Kay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2005, 06:45 AM   #2
Inactive

joe28paws HB User
Talking Re: How long 'til Magnesium works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxandKay
Would appreciate any feed back re Magnesium please! Have others found they got worse restless leg problems before it got better taking Magnesium?
My husband and I both suffer nightly but have found just the one Panadene Forte just before bed helps us but not last night after taking Magnesium twice in the day. The pain was constant so we are both frazzled this morning and wondered do we have to get worse before we get better with Magnesium?
Thanks
Kay
Hi Kay,

It took about a week before I noticed a difference. If it has already been more than a week, give it more time. How many mg of the magnesium are you taking? You may not be getting enough, you may want to take a form of potassium along with the magnesium also.

JC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2005, 04:33 PM   #3
(female)

Locket25 HB User
Re: How long 'til Magnesium works?

G'day thank you for the reply. We took a 500mg. tablet each twice a day just for the one day but found our legs were so much worse than when we had not taken Magnesium we wondered if maybe the Magnesium rushes around the legs and makes them a bit worse before they decide to stop being restless and rest????
I realise it would take a bit of time for them to work, but did not expect our 4 legs to be thrashing around so much we ended up on the floor with no covers. Heavens to Mergatroid we could end up with the flu......
All joking aside Restless Legs are a real nuisance as anyone who has them knows...
Have you found the Magnesium made them worse before it "kicked in" and made them any better and should we persevere you think?
Thanks again - we will throw a few more shrimp on the barbecue so all welcome to come over as the day is going to be lovely and the spray from the surf hitting our window this morning and we have hundreds of the most colourful birds enjoying the early morning.
Kay.

Old 08-23-2005, 10:54 PM   #4
(female)

Michele12 HB User

hmmm, I'm thinking you must be on something else that is causing the RLS to be continuing? The mag should work immediately especially with the amount you guys are taking.

Old 09-11-2005, 01:48 PM   #5
(female)

mcelwee43 HB User
Smile Re: How long 'til Magnesium works?

Hi all,

I am new to this board. I have had RLS for about 30 years.

As far as magnesium goes, I have an almost immediate relief after taking my magnesium supplement. (About 10 minutes). I want to say that I came across this supplement for another reason and I realized later that I wasn't being affected by RLS anymore while taking it. I don't know if I am allowed to mention the brand name, but you could e-mail me. I get it at our local health food store and it is a powdered magnesium that you mix in hot water. I take less than the RDA for magnesium and it works. It is magnesium only. I had tried switching to magnesium tablets (bought at department store) and found that the tablet form did not help at all. I don't know if because the powdered form is completely dissolved when taken that I get more into my system??? I just know that it works. The label says "a highly absorbable proprietary blend of magnesium citrate".

I also read in our local newspaper a few years ago that rubbing alcohol is another solution. I have used that also and it seems to help quite a bit. I keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol by my bed and if I get an attack of RLS I don't bother to fight it and I sit up an generously apply rubbing alcohol all up and down the back of my legs. I really soak my legs. It dries fairly quickly and then I can go to sleep.

Both of these remedies work for me. If I use the powdered magnesium regularly, I am not bothered by the RLS.

I hope this helps.

Val

Old 09-14-2005, 12:38 PM   #6
(female)

rita01 HB User

Try a good B comples, Fish oil, and Alpha Lipoic Acid. You may also want to try juicing celery, carrot and beet juice.

Old 09-15-2005, 01:01 AM   #7
(female)

pawla2 HB User

Hi!! I'm interested in your magnesium powder...I have RLS since I was a teen..I'm approaching 40 and have been on Mirapex since it came out...but I have had to increase to dose over time...and if 12 hrs. goes by and I don't take it ...I'm in trouble. I can really get in a panic if I go out and forget my pills. I would like to try the mag. powder as an alternative. Any input would be great. Pawla

Old 09-16-2005, 07:23 PM   #8
(female)

mcelwee43 HB User

Hi Pawla,

The magnesium powder I take is called Natural Calm by Natural Vitality. I get it at our local health food store. My last bottle was $11.40 and it lasts me about 2 months. I only take one teaspoon. I don't know if there are any problems taking it with meds or other health issues, so ask your doctor first.

Hope this helps.

Val

Old 11-28-2005, 04:44 PM   #9
(female)

lilass HB User

I Just bought the Magnesium-I could only find 250 mg. Took 1 yesterday and had absolutely no relief last night. Will see what happens tonight. I would like to know what dose I should be taking-maybe someone out there can help. Thank you.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:56 PM   #10
(female)

Tizawiza HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawla2 View Post
Hi!! I'm interested in your magnesium powder...I have RLS since I was a teen..I'm approaching 40 and have been on Mirapex since it came out...but I have had to increase to dose over time...and if 12 hrs. goes by and I don't take it ...I'm in trouble. I can really get in a panic if I go out and forget my pills. I would like to try the mag. powder as an alternative. Any input would be great. Pawla
Hi, Pawla:

I have RLS too, but it's not as bad as yours is. But I haven't had it at all since I started taking Magnesium SR (it's Mag. malate) from Jigsaw Health. It's expensive, but it's worth it. No, I don't sell it. It's not a pyramid scheme thing or anything like that. I get no cuts off it at all. I take 4 tablets a day, sometimes 5 of them. Because it's a sustained release lasting 12 hours, you don't have the diarrhea problems as you can with other forms of mg. There is a possibility that your medication is making you dump magnesium. And magnesium deficiency is extremely serious. You can die from sudden cardiac death without it.

See these two books: The Magnesium Factor, by Dr. Mildred Seelig; and The Magnesium Miracle by Dr. Carolyn Dean. As a matter of fact, go to Amazon and see the reviews on those two books. It's excellent!

That stuff that I've had so much benefit on, the mg malate, which malate is malic acid, is the best that I've ever taken, and I've taken mg citrate as well as other forms before. I wanted to get some to see if it would help my husband too because I've been concerned several months ago that he was having early symptoms of Parkinson's disease, but all his symptoms are gone now. I know he was extremely deficient of mg as well as me. He had a difficult time getting up from a chair because his hips and legs hurt so badly, couldn't take a walk without his hips killing him. Also, he has rheumatoid arthritis running in his family on his mother's side. All that was gone the next morning after starting this new magnesium. Totally gone. Now he's able to take a walk for the first time in a year. And we have only been on this new magnesium for almost two weeks now. It's not quite two weeks yet. There are more things that I've noticed about it, because magnesium does control the function of over 350 other enzymes that our bodies need. Without magnesium, calcium becomes dangerous and doesn't work correctly, potassium doesn't work without mg.

Another thing, my insomnia that I've had severely for over a year is gone now in this amount of time. I sleep better than I have in many years. I've had insomnia off and on since about 1996, but the last couple of years it was getting worse. I've tried everything except sleeping pills. That was always my last resort.

There are medications, again, that cause magnesium not to work right. I'd rather have my magnesium, thank you very much, over dangerous medications. Many people may not get benefits because either they don't take enough magnesium, or their calcium to mg ratio is so messed up that it won't help or it's the kind of mg that they take, because there's several kinds of mg. Most American diets are way too high in calcium and not enough magnesium. It's supposed to be ca/mg 2 to 1, or 1 to 1. Some doctors are actually saying you really need a higher ratio of mg instead of the calcium.

Like I say, we've noticed more benefits, but this will end up so long.

Tiza

Old 07-06-2007, 07:35 AM   #11
(female)

Kutztown07 HB User

I tried magnesium and it did not do anything for me. After lying in bed for several hours because of the twitching, I decided to stop magnesium and started requip. My family doctor told me that this treatment (magnesium) might give less number of episodes, but it is not a cure for RLS. I had blood work done to check to see if there is an underlying cause for this, and the test came back normal. The RLS was causing my hip and knee pain especially when I wake up. Hope you will find your way through this as you try to find what treatment is good for you.

Kutztown07

Old 07-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #12
(female)

Michele12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilass View Post
I Just bought the Magnesium-I could only find 250 mg. Took 1 yesterday and had absolutely no relief last night. Will see what happens tonight. I would like to know what dose I should be taking-maybe someone out there can help. Thank you.
What I've noticed is people who don't take enough, don't get relief. If you body is lacking magnesium, 250 mg doesn't do it. When I first starting taking it, I took 500 mg at lunch and 500 mg before bed. No more RLS. Now I just take 500 mg about an hour before bed. I also take a cal/mag during the day.
I'd rather take what my body NEEDS rather than take a drug to mask the problem. Being low on mag. is so bad for your body.
Hope you get healthy again!
Michele

Old 09-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

GCC HB User

When I first started taking magnesium it helped my late afternoon neck and shoulder pain that very day!

But I had a low blood magnesium level & really needed magnesium!

I used to have heart palpitations too. I now know that was from my low magnesium AND low ferritin.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #14
(female)

Michele12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCC View Post
When I first started taking magnesium it helped my late afternoon neck and shoulder pain that very day!

But I had a low blood magnesium level & really needed magnesium!

I used to have heart palpitations too. I now know that was from my low magnesium AND low ferritin.
Good for you! When most dr.s do a bld test to see what could be causing his/her patient RLS they don't check mag. levels.
A naturopath did it for me. Who did it for you GCC?

Old 09-14-2007, 02:01 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

GriffSS HB User

Max and Kay--how are you? My Aunt suffers from RLS badly and has since she was a child. Her doctor put her on Gabapentin (Neurontin) and she no longer suffers with her Restless Leg Syndrome. It was very serious. I suggest
you find a doctor who will prescribe this medication for you. It is familial, runs
in families. It changed her life. I hope you check it out and let me know how it goes. It is a medication that has to gradually be increased to your own personal needs. It will need to be monitored by a doctor until that time has
been reached. Take care and God Bless.

GriffSS Mike

Closed Thread