It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2005, 09:02 AM   #1
(female)

skiperdee1979 HB User
what is Restless Leg Syndrome?

i hate to sound dumb but i am curious as to what this is. I hear a comertial on tv about it. but they dont tell you any thing about it. so what is it?

Old 10-07-2005, 05:52 PM   #2
(female)

chaser3968 HB User
Re: what is Restless Leg Syndrome?

i would like to know also. i just had a sleep study done last week and i have sleep apnea but the dr. prescribed something for me to take for my legs. i wish i knew what it was. it took about a hour to work. i think it began with a c or a s. i never knew my legs moved so much. could this be rls since the dr. wanted it to stop for the sleep study? just curious. thanks for any answer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2005, 08:53 AM   #3
(female)

1GoodNana HB User

Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is a neurological disorder characterized by unpleasant sensations in the legs and an uncontrollable urge to move when at rest in an effort to relieve these feelings. RLS sensations are often described by people as burning, creeping, tugging, or like insects crawling inside the legs. Often called paresthesias (abnormal sensations) or dysesthesias (unpleasant abnormal sensations), the sensations range in severity from uncomfortable to irritating to painful.

The most distinctive or unusual aspect of the condition is that lying down and trying to relax activates the symptoms. As a result, most people with RLS have difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep. Left untreated, the condition causes exhaustion and daytime fatigue. Many people with RLS report that their job, personal relations, and activities of daily living are strongly affected as a result of their exhaustion. They are often unable to concentrate, have impaired memory, or fail to accomplish daily tasks.

The info above came from a website which you might want to check out:
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/restless_legs/detail_restless_legs.htm

Hope this gives you a good idea of what it is. It's not curable but can be treatable. People who have bad cases of it, can become very isolated and depressed. If you NEVER sleep or only sleep in a drug-induced way, NEVER relax, NEVER really rest it will take a toll on you physically and mentally. In fact, over time, you find ways to stay moving 24/7 because it's when you stop moving and try to rest that it becomes worse. Because it's not life-ending, there is not a lot of money poured into research and when you tell someone that you have Restless Legs Syndrome, they usually think "so what".

It would be a good torture method to be used by terrorists if they could give someone the disease. It takes longer than harsher methods but after weeks or months of it, people are almost willing to do anything to get it to stop.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:37 PM   #4
(female)

RaggedyPrim HB User

I was diagnosed with RLS over a year ago, and apparently had the problem quite awhile before then. I have fibromyalgia, and restless legs is a common problem with that. I also have sleep apnea and wear a CPAP machine every night. RLS is miserable if not treated. When I woke up in the morning, I was absoutely worn OUT. All the muscles in my legs were all tight...felt like I needed to be put on one of those old torture "racks" from the old movies where they put you in it and stretch you out!

My dr. is trained in treating fibromyalgia and everything that goes along with it. I'm presently on 2 different meds for the RLS, plus a pain pill. She just changed one of the meds. to a new one, and we're hoping it works. A couple of weeks ago, I woke up...wrapped up in the blanket around me (like a hot dog!)..and was about 1/2 way to the floor...FALLING OFF THE BED!!! And my hubby...who also has sleep apnea and wears his CPAP at night...never even woke up! LOL I climbed back into bed...then got the giggles! How lame is that?!?! I was afraid I was going to wake him up, and he has to get up early for work, so I managed to get back to sleep. When I told my dr. about it on Monday, she changed one of my meds.!

Hope that helps you understand a little more about Restless Leg Syndrome!

Last edited by RaggedyPrim; 10-13-2005 at 02:38 PM.

Closed Thread