It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2005, 07:16 PM   #1
(female)

Locket25 HB User
Quinine

Any information on drinking Tonic Water with Quinine please? I am not sure it helps us much but maybe a little, albeit to the detriment of our sleep we are thinking. Has anyone found Quinine stops them from sleeping? Wish the soap and/or Magnesium worked for us
Thanks
Kay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
(female)

Annette06 HB User
Re: Quinine

Actually my father told me to drink quinine water - had heard from someone it would help. I had RLS really bad a few years ago and noticed when I got back on a consistant exercise pgm (wt training 3X week, stationary bike and pilates for aerobics) and made sure I drank sufficient water, my symptoms ceased. It's worth a try?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2005, 10:41 AM   #3
(female)

Sleepy61 HB User

I read about a year ago that it would help. I tried drining tonic water but could never get it down, I tried diet too. It taste awful by itself. A fried suggested adding a little gin but I did not think that adding alcohol was the answer for me. I do think that the magnesium helps.

Old 10-23-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
(female)

1GoodNana HB User

I'm beginning to wonder if just a tiny bit of Quinine keeps me awake at night. There is so little of it in tonic water that it's hard to imagine that it would be possible, but you never know. I didn't drink tonic water last night for the first time in a week and I had a good night's sleep. I wish someone else would come along and respond about this. I'd like to hear if, indeed, quinine impairs sleep for anyone else.

Old 10-23-2005, 03:33 PM   #5
(female)

Locket25 HB User

Hi, my husband and I tried the tonic water and found we were awake half the night and thought there was nothing else that could be doing it other than the quinine so we also gave it away. Wish magnesium was the be all and end all (our Restless Legs) like others find but it does not seem to work for us albeit is not a bad thing to take anyway.
Good Luck
Kay

Old 11-03-2005, 07:34 PM   #6
(female)

CrazyDogLady HB User

I don't know if this will help, but I have chronic myofascial pain syndrome (lots of knots up and down my back). Consequently, I take a muscle relaxer. They also gave me a prescription for Quinine Sulfate (5grams) which both my grandfather and mother used to take for nighttime leg cramps. Recently, my husband, who we suspect has restless leg syndrome, tried taking a Quinine Sulfate capsule and it worked great. I'm told that it's not a "drug" per se and it's safe to take. It may be worth checking out. I know my husband and I both got a decent night sleep that night. Good Luck.

Closed Thread