It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2005, 01:13 PM   #1
(male)

stubs HB User
IBS setting off restless legs - anyone else have this?

Help !
Ive got IBS that seems to set off restless legs - nothing much seems to sort it out other than some serious prescription pain killers and for the obvious reasons you cant do that too often or for too long. Does anyone else have this weird combination and if so, have you found any way of getting a good nights sleep ?

Old 12-12-2005, 04:36 PM   #2
(female)

kmr3ctr HB User
Re: IBS setting off restless legs - anyone else have this?

I have not been officially diagnosed with RLS however, my doc said I just need to live with pain because that is all part of Chrons......... I am definately getting a second opinion. The worse the gut is, the worse the legs are!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2005, 08:58 PM   #3
(female)

Darrellsgurrl HB User

I have IBS and my jumping legs makes me nuts, when I'm having trouble with my IBS. I take a sleeping pill...I know not a long term solution, but it helps. I would also love to hear an answer to the question.

Old 12-13-2005, 02:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

That's interesting - I have both IBS and RLS and never put the two together before - but I wonder - I get dehydrated sometimes after a bad bout with my IBS - I usually keep gatorade around for it because I get muscle cramps alot from it - that I feel mostly in my legs and feet - I wonder if part of it could be the relation from that???
I'll have to pay more attention now. Thanks for pointing this out....
Best wishes,
Kathy

Old 12-14-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

I've had for some time a condition that two doctors have said was a form of RLS. I also have IBS and have had lung surgery. I take Methadone for the pain and also Ambien for sleep. The jerking (whole body) I have while asleep I feel is not true Restless Leg. I think it's caused by the medication. Either the Methadone or a combination. I never had this before I started on the Meth. I was on Oxycontin for over a year and at fairly high doses, but did not have anything like this. I think if the doctor would switch me to something else (which I hate to think of because Meth works great for me), the jerking at night would go away.

Any thoughts from anyone that feel this type of problem could be medication caused? Has anyone else experienced something like this? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Old 01-27-2006, 05:30 AM   #6
(male)

stubs HB User
Wink Re: IBS setting off restless legs - anyone else have this?

Im cured ! I got a laminectomy on my lower back to reduce pressure on a nerve that was causing sciatica. The doc told me that it was very unlikely to sort out the restless legs but it has improved my bowel function and stopped the restless legs in their track... as well as stopping the sciatic pain. It seems, according to a physiotherapist, that there are a lot of nerves in the lower back and if there is some aggravation to the area, the brain gets a bit muddled up in translating the signals that are emanating from the area. Its not unusual for back pain and injuries to be related to bowel problems and, in my case at least, the bowel problems were related to the legs - probably neither true IBS nor restless legs, although some of the symptoms of IBS do return from time to time. Right now, I dont really care and Im just enjoying the sensation of dropping off to sleep and then staying asleep. I really thought that it was a lost cause and that I would have to spend the rest of my life exhausted, tetchy and stressed due to lack of sleep. What Ive learned is this - DONT GIVE UP and keep trying different avenues; I was alreay getting some releif from using padama and horse chestnut extract as well as from cutting out caffeine. Anyway - It was good to hear from you all and I sincerely hope that you can find some relief. If my experiences can help one person then Ill be even more chuffed than I am already !
stubs

Old 04-02-2006, 09:36 AM   #7
(female)

mom2ced HB User
Lightbulb Re: IBS setting off restless legs - anyone else have this?

I find this SO interesting! I have severe RLS and I am pretty sure I have IBS. I was going to ask my doc about the ibs the next time I went in to have my BP checked.
It will be interesting to see what happens if she gives me anything for the IBS as far as it helping my leg. (and arm and face)

Requip is NOT helping.

Closed Thread