It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
(female)

Barkingdogg HB User
Is Mirapex expensive?

Hi - This is my first post to this site, but I've been reading all the helpful experiences about RLS everyone has posted and intend to take that info and find that perfect remedy for myself.

I went to a new Dr. yesterday and asked for some Clonazepam since my mother has RLS also and it seems to work for her. Just one at bedtime. He said NO because it's a narcotic and highly addictive and then asked me if I'd heard of Mirapex? Never having been treated for RLS, of course I had not heard of it and was there for some relief after two years of suffering. At that time his nurse opened the door and asked to see him and he turned and said, we'll get you some help. A few minutes later, his nurse came back with a starter kit of Mirapex and the bill.

I left and when I got home I was amazed that it was actually for Parkinson's Disease and not for RLS. I started reading the pamphlet and to my amazement, there was absolutely nothing regarding RLS. I had to get on the internet just to find out if you could use it for RLS and found this forum.

I still can't believe that he NEVER instucted me on how to take it, but it seemed like some pretty heavy dosing for a Parkinson's patient. Therefore, reading all the entries on this forum has helped me to decide that I really shouldn't take it to the extreme that the box says for Parkinson's.

NOW THE REAL QUESTION! Since this was a free sample kit, and if it proves to really help me, just how much moo-la should I expect to pay for this medication? Of course, my intention is to find a more natural way as soon as possible, so that I don't need to even take the stuff!

Thanks everyone for your imput!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
(female)

mom2ced HB User
Re: Is Mirapex expensive?

Wow!! I didn't know it was a Narcotic!

Mirapex is expensive because you cannot get in generic yet! A 1 month supply for me was about $38. (I know others are WAY worse)

I am continuing to take it even though it is not working on my symptoms because it is the only thing that helps me sleep.

Best of luck to you. The Mirapex works for many people. I am starting Neurontin in 2 weeks. Waiting until after a wedding I am in because I hear it causes wait gain!

Old 08-31-2006, 09:40 PM   #3
(male)

jginn HB User
Thumbs up Re: Is Mirapex expensive?

Hi dog. I've been taking Mirapex for RLS for a little over three years. As a long time sufferer of RLS I've found the Mirapex to be very effective. I've had little or no side effects and I'm able to cope with RLS much more comfortably. My advice is start with a small dose, perhaps half a .25 mg tablet at night. Try that for about a week and if symptoms are not dramatically better go up to a full .25 dose. Mirapex tends to make some people sleepy after about a half hour so take it close to bed time. If that doesn't work for you after another week go up another half, etc, until you find the dose that is effective for you. The key is finding the smallest possible effect dose, this will reduce your chance of side effects. I don't take it during the day because I find coping with RLS easier during the day when I can walk around as needed. I do take a dose if I know I'll be forced to sit for awhile like riding on a plane or attending a play, etc. If you find that you need a mid-day dose daily I'd try about half your effective night time dose. For example if you end up taking .50 mg at night try taking .25 for a day-time dose. The only side effects I've had in three years have been a very few spells of mild nausea which didn't last long and are well worth the return benefit I get from Mirapex. Most of the people I've talked to who experinced more severe side effects started out taking a high dose instead of patiently working up the dose to it's effective level. I'm happy with the effectiveness of this drug and I would recommend it to anyone suffering from RLS. As for the expense, it depends on your insurance. Mine is very good and I pay $10 for a one-month supply. That compares with about $40 if you have no insurance. Good luck. Jeff

Old 09-01-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
(female)

Barkingdogg HB User
Re: Is Mirapex expensive?

Thanks jginn and mom2ced for the info. I was afraid the cost might be more like $100 or more. I've been taking the Mirapex for the past 8 nights now and can't believe the difference! I'm taking the lowest dose in the kit which is .125 and it truely is a miracle! I've not had an RLS episode since. Of course, I still don't like the thought of taking a precription drug, so I've also increased my iron intake too. I think I'll try a night without the Mirapex after taking my iron supplements for at least a month. But, right now, I have to say "YEAH!" for Mirapex and the past 8 restful nights!

Thanks again!

Closed Thread