It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Bad "jerking" at night

I've had a couple doctors say, that what I have is RLS. Somehow, I don't think it is. I tend to do full body jerks throughout the night (like you do sometimes when you're just about ready to fall asleep) and my wife says they are somewhat better now, but when I started doing it about three years ago, I would keep her awake at night. I'm on a lot of meds due to Chronic Pain and I'm inclined to think the cause is the Methadone I take, because starting that was about the time these jerks started. I take 60 mg TID of the Meth, plus meds for sleep too.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this. My wife says it's better now than it use to be, but that could be that fact I'm use to taking the medication.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
(female)

anemone HB User
Re: Bad "jerking" at night

I'm afraid I don't have much knowledge of medication such as methadone, but I can relate to the jerking certainly.
Can you describe it anymore? When I jerk it seems like it is every muscle in my body, but yet ends up affecting my joints as well because it is so violent.
How long does it last?

My jerking seems to be epilepsy related, but yet sometimes the pain occurs independently, far more RLS related.

What pain is it that you take the medication for? Is it muscular or joint pain?

I hope you don't mind all the questions, I am curious!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

My jerking is caused (I think) by the opiate medication (Methadone) I'm taking. They are very brief and only last a second, but it involves the entire body. It might be described as "seizure like", but it's just once and then it's over. It does involve the entire body though. I have been sleeping very lightly (just falling asleep) and had them, so I know what they are like.

I have read on the Pain Management forum, that others on opiate meds have experienced the same or very similar thing as I have. Usually, you're prescibed a medication called Mirapex, but it didn't help me.

My wife seems to think they are becoming less as time goes by. My only thought on that, is I'm becoming more use to the medication as time by. I have been on it for a little over four years.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
(female)

Lori1975 HB User

At one time I only had the leg jerking at night. It would go on for a long time. I was not on any medications except for sleep meds.
Lately, my whole body, mostly my arms and legs jerk and wake me during the night. It seems to last a long time. I am not on any opiates or pain meds. I have Scleroderma, Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Migraines, etc. I have not spoken with a doctor about it yet. I keep forgetting to mention it with other things that need to be discussed. I think limiting caffeine helps somewhat. Lori

Closed Thread