It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
(female)

maggzz HB User
Unhappy just don't know what to do

I took Clonazepam for rls for about 5 years.It used to work beautifully but after a while it became ineffective and I found I was having to take larger and larger doses for it to work. When I got up to 2mg a night I found it knocked me right out.Since then I have tried Imipramine(don't know why the doctor prescribed that, it was worse than useless but when they suggest something you have to try it before you can tell them it doesn't work) Now I'm on Adartrel (aka Requip) 1mg per day at night and that isn't working either. Two nights ago I felt like screaming. I felt like ants were crawling inside me. Actually it didn't feel like that but it's the nearest I can get to describing it. I'm now going through all my drawers and bags to find old clonazepam and taking those. The Relief is great but I still have to take a lot. I'm going back to the doctors after the holiday but what can I ask for?? I have got to have something that works or I feel like I'll go crazy.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: just don't know what to do

Some of us found that meds were ineffective or made our conditon worse. But we have still found effective treatment...some of us discovered that certain medications (for other conditions) made our symptoms worse and by eliminating those meds our symptoms disappeared. And some of us benefited by eating a well balanced diet with lots of fruits and veggies. Magnesium, potassium, and calcium (magnesium in particular) supplements also helped many.

In my case. I believe a water pill (diuretic) contributed to an electrolyte imbalance. Once I stopped the water pill, my symptoms lessened. Magnesium supplementation seems to have "cured" the remaining symptoms.

You might want to read some of the older posts for more info.

Bethsheba

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2008, 03:31 AM   #3
(female)

maggzz HB User

I do eat a healthy diet with lots of fruit and veg. Ialso don't drink alcohol or caffeine(this is not a moral choice, both of these make me feel ill.) I don't take any other medications and I don't suffer from any other illnesses. I just can't see that anything I do could affect the RLS. Prescribed medication seems to be my only option. This time I have been given something called Gabapentin. The doctor told me this wouldn't make me drowsy but I still feel Zombiefied this morning. I have also started taking Magnesium . Hope it works. If anybody else has any suggestions I would welcome them.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Simply taking magnesium may not help....it is important to take it in the right proportion to calcium as too much calcium may negate the magnesium. I'm not making any sense, I'm sure, but my suggestion is to do some serious reading about the importance of magnesium in one's diet, and things that can interfere with the absorption of that magnesium.

Also, mag supplements come in different forms...some are better absorbed than others...I'd recommend that you do some reading (these boards are a good place to start) as to the different kinds. Wish I could be more specific but I haven't paid much attention to the details since my "problem" is no longer a problem.

There's nothing wrong with taking a medication for your rls...it's just the only thing I have to offer is what helped me. Oh and on a final note, regarding Mirapex...my doctor said if the dosage was too high, it would make my rls worse. Don't know if this would apply to your medication or not but thought I should make you aware of the possibility.

Hope you find some relief...and do let us know how you're doing.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 08-27-2008 at 03:26 PM.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
(female)

Arggg HB UserArggg HB UserArggg HB User

Have you tried chiropractic, massage, yoga, or physical therapy? I would highly recommend one or more of those. They have helped me greatly (except for PT, which I've never done).

Avoiding caffeine also helps me. I don't have a severe condition, but when it gets out of hand it drives me nuts. Then I see my chiropractor - crunch! It's gone.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
(female)

tammera59 HB User
Talking Re: just don't know what to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggzz View Post
I took Clonazepam for rls for about 5 years.It used to work beautifully but after a while it became ineffective and I found I was having to take larger and larger doses for it to work. When I got up to 2mg a night I found it knocked me right out.Since then I have tried Imipramine(don't know why the doctor prescribed that, it was worse than useless but when they suggest something you have to try it before you can tell them it doesn't work) Now I'm on Adartrel (aka Requip) 1mg per day at night and that isn't working either. Two nights ago I felt like screaming. I felt like ants were crawling inside me. Actually it didn't feel like that but it's the nearest I can get to describing it. I'm now going through all my drawers and bags to find old clonazepam and taking those. The Relief is great but I still have to take a lot. I'm going back to the doctors after the holiday but what can I ask for?? I have got to have something that works or I feel like I'll go crazy.
I know how frustrated you are with your RLS. I suffered with RLS for years and it does fell like your going crazy because there is no relief at the time.
I finally asked my Dr. and she presquibed Adartrel for me as well. But I take 4 1mg tablets each night and this helps me about 98% of the time. I dosen't seem to make me tired or groggy,so maybe this will help you. I wish you luck.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
(female)

BOBERS47 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammera59 View Post
i know how frustrated you are with your rls. I suffered with rls for years and it does fell like your going crazy because there is no relief at the time.
I finally asked my dr. And she presquibed adartrel for me as well. But i take 4 1mg tablets each night and this helps me about 98% of the time. I dosen't seem to make me tired or groggy,so maybe this will help you. I wish you luck.
if anything can drive a person insane...restless leg syndrome, will. I've tried the different meds for it. All they do is make me more crazy. I take pain meds for my back. When i started taking them. The rls stopped. And no sideaffects. Even if its just one at bedtime...it makes it go away...thats all i need to know.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bobers,

If you don't mind my asking, why do you take pain meds for your back?

And do you take meds for anything else?

Bethsheba

Old 02-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #9
(female)

BOBERS47 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post
bobers,

if you don't mind my asking, why do you take pain meds for your back?

And do you take meds for anything else?

Bethsheba
beth, i have 3 compressed disks in my back. The l5, i believe it is..is pressing on the spinal cord. Which causes the sciatic to act up a lot. Only thing that gives me relief, especially after standing for too long. Or laying in bed past my 6 hours a nite...i dont know that it stops the pain so much...as relieves the anxiety it causes. It does help some. Especially when its real bad. But, thats what i found out...it stoped the restless legs. And i think my back caused the restless legs. I went a week without sleep over restless legs. I was to the point of hysteria over it. Pain meds are the only meds i take. I take over the counter probiotics and an occassional perscription tagamet for heart burn....but, thats it. From what my husband surgeon said....pain meds do nothing for nerve pain. The dentist has said the samething. You cant kill pain coming from a nerve. You can only relieve the reaction to it. Its true though...i took a pain med years ago for an absessed tooth. It didnt touch it. Thats why people with back pain especially severe back pain...cant get relief. Pain meds only relieve the anxiety and upset from all the pain. God bless people that have severe back and neck pain.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:01 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bober's,

Thank you so much for the reply! I asked because I was curious to know if you were dealing with an identified cause to your pain...I went for almost 2 years with an unidentified cause to my pain and pain killers did nothing...your doctor's and dentist's explanation of "nerve" pain may have explained what kind of pain I was experiencing...it was so excruciating I couldn't tell if it were muscle, bone, or nerve (I suspect all three). I found out by accident that my blood pressure medication was the sole source of my pain and that discoing the med eliminated the pain.

But again, thanks for the info...that's the first time I have come across a post that addressed nerve pain and pain killers.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-01-2009 at 07:01 AM.

Closed Thread