It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
(male)

josephwb2 HB User
Lightbulb What works for me..one person's method.

I have struggled with Restless Leg for over 20 years and have finally found a method of control that works for me. I am posting this here in hopes that at least some component of what helps me might help someone else:

1. Mirapex is the drug that I get the best response from...I have tried several others and Mirapex works best for me. What has been the key in using this drug is finding dosing that is effective. I was on a .5 mg tab once a day but often did not get good control and taking even that much at one time caused some nasal congestion for me. Thru trial and error, I have discovered that 1 mg controls my symptoms greatly...BUT how I dose has made all the difference.

I take .25 mg 4 times a day...one dose when I get up in the morning...one dose at about 3PM, one dose around 7PM and one at 9PM. Dividing the dosing up this way has really helped control my symptoms a great deal and also I do not get the nasal stuffiness or stomach upset that can come along with Mirapex. I think taking that first dose in the AM has made a big difference. I know it seems like a pain to take 4 doses a day but once you get into a rhythm it is not too hard. If only there was a time-released Mirapex!

2. I have allergies and had taken antihistamines for years...I read somewhere that antihistamines can augment RLS, so I came off them and use a nasal cortisone and antihistamine eye drop to control my symptoms pretty well. It has made a difference...the few times I have HAD to take an antihistamine, my RLS seems to break thru pretty strongly.

3. I keep the caffeine limited...usually just a cup of coffee in the AM. I don't find that this is a big augmentor for me, but if I really have too much, the RLS symptoms come back.

So thats it. I am hoping that the dosing I have figured out helps others. Right now I have a script for 1 mg Mirapex tabs and I just break each tab into quarters. I will probably ask my Doctor for a new script to take 4 .25 mg tabs a day when this one is done.

Good luck to you all...!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread