It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 01:21 AM   #1
(male)

Dozyoff HB User
Worse case of RLS

Hi,

I had requested (Requip) from my personal physician and he had told me that (Requip) is too dangerous, has adverse effects, and can be harmful to my body. Therefore, he wouldn't prescribe it to me even when I had asked. The folks at KaiserPermanente had told me that the physicians there had done their research that (Requip) has too many health risk factors and how they would be looking for an alternative for (Requip) or (Temazepam) for me. I take 2 (Temazepam's 15mg) and I still have difficulty falling asleep without being awaken at 3 in the morning or 1 1/2 hrs after "falling asleep," and my dosage is 1 pill at bedtime. I had seen my doctor today and he had prescribed me (Xanax/Alprazolam) and (Carbidopa/Levodopa 25/100). With the (Carbidopa/Levodopa 25/100)... I am suppose to take once daily, on an empty stomach, or an hour before eating. The doctors have also told me that the drug kicks in within a week and that it's time released. I've done some research and have found that the dopamine in the (Carbidopa/Levodopa) has worked wonders in other patients suffering from RLS. Isn't (Carbidopa) similar to (Requip or Mirapex) in the sense that they are both Dopaminergic? and are these both drugs time released and do they have the same relief, effect, and side effects? And am I the only one who suffers EXTREME RLS to the point that I might literally go insane if I don't move my body to alleviate the uneasiness of the RLS?

I always have trouble discussing the symptoms to my doctors whenever they ask me to describe the symptoms, because they are very extremely difficult to explain. To me...it's like your Big Boss at work standing behind your back while you're sitting down trying to make a great first impression on your first day on the job. The sensation somewhat feels like a "vibe" of your boss lingering behind you even when he/she's not touching you, but you sense that vibe. But with RLS...this feeling is inside of you amplified 50 times trying to make it's way out of your body. Btw, I mainly suffer with RLS in my torso area and it almost feels like a warm/burning like aggravating sensation with pins and needles, but not really pain though.

I know that being sedentary can increase the RLS symptoms, but is there any daily routine I can do to lessen or alleviate the symptoms? And why does the RLS symptoms seem to nearly disappear when my mental activity is at work (i.e., going outside to get fresh air, listening to jokes, playing pool/video games, etc.)? This makes me wonder if it might be a neurological disorder, or simply psychological? And why does RLS increase at night even when I do take my pills as instructed? My apologies for so many questions, but this is a debilitating illness for me and I don't know how much longer I can take this.
Another theory I have on RLS is that it was probably engineered by lab technicians so they can profit from it.

Sincerely,
Daniel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
(female)

maggzz HB User
Re: Worse case of RLS

Every description of Rls is right and wrong at the same time. It is an indescribable feeling. I have suffered from it for as long as I can remember with symptoms getting worse as I get older. I have tried Requip and found that it made no difference at all. When I first went to my GP she told me that the only drug that worked was Clonazepam. She was right although it does become less effective after a few years. I have tried everything else and have gone back to Clonazepam plus gabapentin. This seems to do the trick although it does tend to knock you out so I can only take it if I'm not going anywhere. You're right though; some kind of activity both physical and mental does take the symptoms away although I refuse to believe it's psychosomatic. Good luck with this. You'll need it!

Old 05-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sunshine221 HB User

My understanding is that Requip and Mirapax help the body use its own dopamine more efficiently whereas Carbidopa/Levodopa is artificial dopamine. I thought, but may be wrong, that Carbidopa/Levodopa has a very short "half-life" - this seems true for me, I just switched to it from Requip and where the Requip never really seemed to wear off, the Carbidopa/Levodopa only lasts about 5 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozyoff View Post
Hi,

I had requested (Requip) from my personal physician and he had told me that (Requip) is too dangerous, has adverse effects, and can be harmful to my body. Therefore, he wouldn't prescribe it to me even when I had asked. The folks at KaiserPermanente had told me that the physicians there had done their research that (Requip) has too many health risk factors and how they would be looking for an alternative for (Requip) or (Temazepam) for me. I take 2 (Temazepam's 15mg) and I still have difficulty falling asleep without being awaken at 3 in the morning or 1 1/2 hrs after "falling asleep," and my dosage is 1 pill at bedtime. I had seen my doctor today and he had prescribed me (Xanax/Alprazolam) and (Carbidopa/Levodopa 25/100). With the (Carbidopa/Levodopa 25/100)... I am suppose to take once daily, on an empty stomach, or an hour before eating. The doctors have also told me that the drug kicks in within a week and that it's time released. I've done some research and have found that the dopamine in the (Carbidopa/Levodopa) has worked wonders in other patients suffering from RLS. Isn't (Carbidopa) similar to (Requip or Mirapex) in the sense that they are both Dopaminergic? and are these both drugs time released and do they have the same relief, effect, and side effects? And am I the only one who suffers EXTREME RLS to the point that I might literally go insane if I don't move my body to alleviate the uneasiness of the RLS?

I always have trouble discussing the symptoms to my doctors whenever they ask me to describe the symptoms, because they are very extremely difficult to explain. To me...it's like your Big Boss at work standing behind your back while you're sitting down trying to make a great first impression on your first day on the job. The sensation somewhat feels like a "vibe" of your boss lingering behind you even when he/she's not touching you, but you sense that vibe. But with RLS...this feeling is inside of you amplified 50 times trying to make it's way out of your body. Btw, I mainly suffer with RLS in my torso area and it almost feels like a warm/burning like aggravating sensation with pins and needles, but not really pain though.

I know that being sedentary can increase the RLS symptoms, but is there any daily routine I can do to lessen or alleviate the symptoms? And why does the RLS symptoms seem to nearly disappear when my mental activity is at work (i.e., going outside to get fresh air, listening to jokes, playing pool/video games, etc.)? This makes me wonder if it might be a neurological disorder, or simply psychological? And why does RLS increase at night even when I do take my pills as instructed? My apologies for so many questions, but this is a debilitating illness for me and I don't know how much longer I can take this.
Another theory I have on RLS is that it was probably engineered by lab technicians so they can profit from it.

Sincerely,
Daniel

Old 05-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
(male)

Dozyoff HB User

My doctor had precribed me Carbidopa/Levodopa but I don't know when it's suppose to work within me. Unlike Requip, Carbidopa/Levodopa is time released and I'm unsure when it's suppose to take effect, which is why I switched to Requip which works instantly.

Sincerely,
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine221 View Post
My understanding is that Requip and Mirapax help the body use its own dopamine more efficiently whereas Carbidopa/Levodopa is artificial dopamine. I thought, but may be wrong, that Carbidopa/Levodopa has a very short "half-life" - this seems true for me, I just switched to it from Requip and where the Requip never really seemed to wear off, the Carbidopa/Levodopa only lasts about 5 hours.

Closed Thread