It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
(male)

pjs009 HB User
RLS and lexapro/melatonin/smoking cessation?

Hey guys,

Looking for feedback/advice.

Over the past 3 weeks my RLS has intensified, it's been taking hours for it to subside.

I'm on Lexapro 20mg, and have been for about 2 years, as well as Melatonin 9 mg every night before sleep.

I quit smoking about 3 weeks ago as well, I'm guessing nicotine stimulates dopamine secretion or is a dopamine agonist of some sort, and the abrupt cessation has dropped by dopamine levels. I'm aware SSRI's inhibit dopamine in some way.

I quit melatonin for a few nights --- still RLS
Took lyrica --> still RLS

then, I skipped my Lexapro dose for 1 day ---> NO RLS!
One week later, I skipped it again for 1 day ----> NO RLS!

I took my Lex earlier this morning to see if changing dose time helps, but at this point I'm pretty convinced it is the Lexapro. The ruling out plan was discussed w/ my doc. I also have a CBC, Ferritin, B12, Folate, Thyroid/Liver panel in the works, however I exercise and take vitamins every day.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by pjs009; 05-09-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
(female)

kathmadear HB User
Unhappy Re: RLS and lexapro/melatonin/smoking cessation?

I have tried every antidepressant, including Lexipro, and finally had to forget it because of the severe RLS I experienced. I had to triple the amt of Mirapax I took if I wanted to take it and became so overmedicated I couldn't deal with it. I have very bad RLS anyway, but Lexipro and all the rest made it much much worse.

79950]Hey guys,

Over the past 3 weeks my RLS has intensified, it's been taking hours for it to subside.

I'm on Lexapro 20mg, and have been for about 2 years, as well as Melatonin 9 mg every night before sleep.

I quit smoking about 3 weeks ago as well, I'm guessing nicotine stimulates dopamine secretion or is a dopamine agonist of some sort, and the abrupt cessation has dropped by dopamine levels. I'm aware SSRI's inhibit dopamine in some way.

I took my Lex earlier this morning to see if changing dose time helps, but at this point I'm pretty convinced it is the Lexapro. The ruling out plan was discussed w/ my doc. I also have a CBC, Ferritin, B12, Folate, Thyroid/Liver panel in the works, however I exercise and take vitamins every day.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.[/QUOTE]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
(male)

Dozyoff HB User
Re: RLS and lexapro/melatonin/smoking cessation?

Melatonin will never alleviate or cure RLS. If anything...melatonin will worsen RLS symptoms. My doctor had prescribed me (Requip) and I'm not sure if it seems to work. What does work the best for me is (Norco/Vicodin). I take it an hour before I go to bed with a light snack such as a banana. Try it and see if it works.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User

I was taking lexapro and started having RLS symptoms, I have switched to Celexa 20mg,and symptoms subsided. I also take Melatonin 5mg with no problem. Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathmadear View Post
I have tried every antidepressant, including Lexipro, and finally had to forget it because of the severe RLS I experienced. I had to triple the amt of Mirapax I took if I wanted to take it and became so overmedicated I couldn't deal with it. I have very bad RLS anyway, but Lexipro and all the rest made it much much worse.

79950]Hey guys,

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.
[/QUOTE]

Old 05-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
(male)

Dozyoff HB User

Hi again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle45 View Post
I was taking lexapro and started having RLS symptoms, I have switched to Celexa 20mg,and symptoms subsided. I also take Melatonin 5mg with no problem. Good Luck!

[/QUOTE]

Melatonin, after a while when it reaches it's fullness in your system will give you RLS like you never wished you had.

Quote:
Restless legs syndrome (RLS) affects about 10% of the Caucasian population. In those it affects, it can be extremely disrupting to the sleep cycle. It has been suggested recently that circadian rhythms play an important role in symptom modulation. This study was undertaken to evaluate the effect of circadian rhythms on subjective leg discomfort in persons with RLS.

Seven patients with RLS were matched for age and sex with healthy controls. Subject protocols consisted of an 8-hour polysomnogram followed by 2-hour units during which the patients evaluated their subjective vigilance, provided salivary samples, had a free walk period, and then were confined to a reclining chair. Units were repeated for a 28-hour period. Participants were asked to quantify their leg discomfort every 5 minutes on a visual analog scale. Results showed that in both groups, leg discomfort and periodic leg movements were significantly correlated with subjective vigilance, core body temperature, and salivary melantonin, but the changes in melantonin were the only ones that preceded an increase in symptoms in the RLS patients. This finding indicates that melantonin might be implicated in the worsening of RLS symptoms at night.

This study has implications for nurses, because melatonin is quite readily available in health food stores and advocated for sleep inducement. Overall it adds to the growing body of knowledge regarding complementary therapies and their positive and negative effects. Persons with RLS may be advised to avoid melatonin-containing products or food as a way to help improve their sleep patterns.

Michaud, M., Dumont, M., Selmaoui, B., Paquet, J., Fantini, M.L., & Montplasir, J. (2004). Circadian rhythm of restless legs syndrome: Relationship with biological markers. Annals of Neurology, 55, 372-380.

I don't know about you, but I know that some people might disagree just because they dislike what the other person says. But in my case...I'm only concerned and trying to help. You can continue to take melatonin, and it might seem to work at the onset of it, but when the melatonin levels in your body peaks....it will only get worse. As for good "luck"...I personally don't believe in luck but believe in a sovereign God who works all things for His good purpose to those who love Him. Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Dozyoff

Old 06-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

polc HB User

Why don't you try something natural for your anxiety and depression instead of the Lexapro. I would suggest L-theanine (comes as Suntheanine in different products) 100mg 2-3 times daily. It helps to balance serotonin and dopamine levels and I find it works with highly anxious patients. Ideally to reduce your current medication slowly and introduce the replacement with it, I would advise speaking to your doctor about that. But if you use it for a day or two and see how you cope it would give you an idea of whether you can cope. Also Magnesium is a great muscle and nerve relaxant, also helps the sleep pattern and RLS. Take 120mg 1 hour before bed. Hope you find your way.

Last edited by polc; 06-02-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
(female)

speechee HB User

Elle45 - thanks for posting! I started Lexapro new, at 4 weeks started having RLS symptoms. MDs keep telling me RLS is not a side effect of Lexapro (and making me feel like I'm crazy) but I'm tapering off Lexapro. Being tx for RLS too, but I think Lexapro is the reason. Thanks for making me feel like maybe I'm not crazy.

Closed Thread