It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User
Re: Soap trick

I read about the soap trick in a Dr. Gott article a while back. I was using Kirk's Original Castile Soap, because I have fragrance sensitivities and this is the only soap I've found that doesn't give me migraines, allergy attacks, and/or asthma attacks. So I put an unwrapped bar in between the top and bottom sheets, and voila! No more RLS in legs and arms! Hopefully, the "spell" doesn't wear off.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #17
(female)

betsyfrahm HB User

My stepmother saidshe triedittoo. It worked. My son has it in his armsandlegs too and he can't find any relief.I will tellhimabout the soapand see if it works.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #18
(female)

Wantok HB User

Don't know if you tried the soap remedy yet, but I tried it (and yes, I do have RLS, and no pain) and it is working almost perfectly (still matters if I don't have too much caffeine or am dehydrated). Anyway, I put a bar of ivory by my legs (now in a baggy sock) and I cannot believe it myself. It is ridiculous, but it is a lot better than the medicines I can't tolerate. Why not try it? What have you got to lose, except feeling a little ridiculous? You don't have to tell anyone.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #19
(female)

teddybearhero HB User

Getting my bar of soap now! But what do you do when you have daytime RLS! Guess I will tuck a bar or two into my socks but I'm going to look funny walking around. Usually you can explain things like this in one word: coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantok View Post
Don't know if you tried the soap remedy yet, but I tried it (and yes, I do have RLS, and no pain) and it is working almost perfectly (still matters if I don't have too much caffeine or am dehydrated). Anyway, I put a bar of ivory by my legs (now in a baggy sock) and I cannot believe it myself. It is ridiculous, but it is a lot better than the medicines I can't tolerate. Why not try it? What have you got to lose, except feeling a little ridiculous? You don't have to tell anyone.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #20
(female)

vjzam HB User

I agree, often feel a little embarrased when trying to describe symptons and admit it is not painful as such, and yes would agree rather have pain that can be deadened than this funny creepy problem

Old 09-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #21
(female)

Rubyslipper1955 HB User

Years ago I finally realized I had RLS. At that time it went like this--you only had it in your feet or legs (that's why it is called Restless Legs Syndrome), pain was not associated with the feelings and the symptoms kept you awake, they never woke you up.

Now we know that RLS can affect any and many body parts. You can have pain or no pain and yes, it can wake you up from a sound sleep. The more we learn, the more we realize we do not understand this disease. That's one reason the name is being changed. If you talk to friends, family and many doctors and tell them you have RLS but it is in your hands or torso and you have pain with it, they will tell you that it cannot be RLS. Perceptions must change as we learn more about it.

As for the soap, I have tried it and it didn't work. Many of my friends tried it and it didn't work. There is no scientific proof or evidence that it works. IF soap has magnesium in it (which can sometimes help), it cannot get into your body especially if it is still wrapped up. Logically it just cannot help.

Now before anyone tars and feathers me, let me say this. Just because there is no scientific evidence, that does not mean it won't work. If it's all in your head, who cares? If something helps you, use it. Unless, of course, it is harmful or dangerous. Many people claim to have a "miracle lotion" made up of secret ingredients from their Aunt Bessie or some-such. When they rub it on their legs, they get relief. Could be. I think it is probably just the rubbing that helps but who knows? As long as it is not touted as a cure, I'm okay with it.

And finally, just because you have an MD or PhD behind your name does not mean you know it all. None of us do. Go to the RLS website and educate yourself from a site that is reputable and reliable. If you know more than your doctor, maybe he/she will give you a discount on your bill!

The Following User Says Thank You to Rubyslipper1955 For This Useful Post:
vjzam (09-22-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #22
(female)

teddybearhero HB User

Alas the soap bars (tried two) did not work and I'm back to pacing, wiggling my feet and swearing. There needs to be a more ominous sounding name for this disorder!

Restless makes it sound like my legs just want to take a leisurely stroll in the park!!

Old 11-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #23
(female)

vjzam HB User

I agree tried the "soap trick" worked the first night - mind over matter...but at present I am on a course of vitamins with stong iron and magnesium, plus a natural sleeping pill (valerian) and thanks to a very helpful tip on site, a tub of yoghurt daily, I am finding life easier now, and can get some sleep (provided I hit the "sack" early, before symtoms literally kick in) but by 2 or 3 in the mornings am doing the RLS waltz through the house, but getting at least 4 hours sleep a night, and manage 40 winks around lunch when I can
It is good to know that some medical personnel are at long last taking RLS seriously, and it is not just shrugged off as my imagination, according to research 1 in 10 people suffer, so surely there must be a t least one sympathetic Doctor out there who is in the same position as all of us on this site (obviously serious sufferers) if so Please come out in our support, we need to get more support and ears out there, No it is not directly Life threatening, but dangerous to go out and try to live a normal life when you are so very sleep deprived -

Old 11-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #24
(female)

vjzam HB User

I agree tried the "soap trick" worked the first night - mind over matter...but at present I am on a course of vitamins with stong iron and magnesium, plus a natural sleeping pill (valerian) and thanks to a very helpful tip on site, a tub of yoghurt daily, I am finding life easier now, and can get some sleep (provided I hit the "sack" early, before symtoms literally kick in) but by 2 or 3 in the mornings am doing the RLS waltz through the house, but getting at least 4 hours sleep a night, and manage 40 winks around lunch when I can
It is good to know that some medical personnel are at long last taking RLS seriously, and it is not just shrugged off as my imagination, according to research 1 in 10 people suffer, so surely there must be a t least one sympathetic Doctor out there who is in the same position as all of us on this site (obviously serious sufferers) if so Please come out in our support, we need to get more support and ears out there, No it is not directly Life threatening, but dangerous to go out and try to live a normal life when you are so very sleep deprived -

Old 12-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User

I'm going to have to give this a try.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:01 AM   #26
(female)

Wantok HB User

The soap seemed to work for a while, but who knows since RLS waxes and wanes. Hydration and a little diazepam help now. Can't have any alcohol at all, and 1 1/2 cups of coffee, no more.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #27
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantok View Post
and 1 1/2 cups of coffee, no more.
Does caffeine really affect it that much?

Old 12-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #28
(female)

Wantok HB User

It does with mine. Sorry about that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wantok For This Useful Post:
Alex6657 (12-04-2011)
Old 12-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #29
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User

I tried the soap trick last night. The creepy/crawly sensations didn't really go away, but the irresistible need to move my legs did.

Unfortunately I can't completely cut out caffeine to see if that affects me. I get brutal headaches from caffeine withdrawal.

Last edited by Alex6657; 12-04-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Closed Thread