HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Restless Leg Syndrome (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/restless-leg-syndrome/)
-   -   Soap trick (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/restless-leg-syndrome/692023-soap-trick.html)

elle45 05-12-2009 10:42 AM

Soap trick

I was telling my sister (a nurse) that I think I have RLS. I also have FMS, CFS, and had a spinal cord injury. She told me to put a bar of soap under my sheets, I thought she was kidding, but I did it anyway. Well about two days later my legs didn't ache as much and I didn't feel the need to move them as much. Has anyone else ever heard of this silly old wives tale, and any ideas why this works?

Dozyoff 05-16-2009 10:27 AM

Re: Soap trick

[QUOTE=elle45;3982331]I was telling my sister (a nurse) that I think I have RLS. I also have FMS, CFS, and had a spinal cord injury. She told me to put a bar of soap under my sheets, I thought she was kidding, but I did it anyway. Well about two days later my legs didn't ache as much and I didn't feel the need to move them as much. Has anyone else ever heard of this silly old wives tale, and any ideas why this works?[/QUOTE]

There seems to be too many people who don't know what RLS is or the symptoms. RLS symptoms have nothing to do with physical aches, but creepy crawly uneasy feelings in either your legs, arms, torso, or other parts of your body. So putting a bar of soap won't do anything for true RLS sufferers like me.

elle45 05-17-2009 04:14 PM

I didn't say I have RLS, I said I think I have it (because it is very common in people who have FMS, and CFS). I do have creepy crawlies, and uneasy feelings, maybe the aches are from the fibro. All I was asking is, if anyone knows why the bar of soap under the sheet seems to help what ever it is I have.
By the way the answer is, because soap has a lot of magnesium in it. Which help some how.
RLS feelings are described as antsy, electrical, creeping,"PAINFUL", itching, pins and needles, crepy-crawly, and burning.

Dozyoff 05-18-2009 09:09 AM

[QUOTE=elle45;3987278]I didn't say I have RLS, I said I think I have it (because it is very common in people who have FMS, and CFS). I do have creepy crawlies, and uneasy feelings, maybe the aches are from the fibro. All I was asking is, if anyone knows why the bar of soap under the sheet seems to help what ever it is I have.
By the way the answer is, because soap has a lot of magnesium in it. Which help some how.
RLS feelings are described as antsy, electrical, creeping,"PAINFUL", itching, pins and needles, crepy-crawly, and burning.[/QUOTE]

RLS is also "misdiagnosed" as growing pains because most patients don't know what it is to have real RLS. Those who suffer from RLS (95%) will tell you that there is NO pain, but it's an uneasy feeling which is indescribable at best. So whenever someone claims to have RLS and it's associated with pain...it's not RLS. Most RLS sufferers will tell you that they rather suffer with pain than to deal with the uneasy creepy crawly feelings in their legs, torso, or arms. RLS is still being researched by doctors and it's idiopathic. Sorry, but I don't believe that those who suffer from pain and call it RLS are actually suffering from RLS. As a matter of fact...I think that it's another disorder or just muscle pain altogether. As I said before...I'd rather suffer with pain than deal with the indescribable feelings that I experience in my arms, legs, and torso.

Sincerely,
Dozyoff

elle45 05-19-2009 09:01 AM

[QUOTE=Dozyoff;3987858]RLS is also "misdiagnosed" as growing pains because most patients don't know what it is to have real RLS. Those who suffer from RLS (95%) will tell you that there is NO pain, but it's an uneasy feeling which is indescribable at best. So whenever someone claims to have RLS and it's associated with pain...it's not RLS. Most RLS sufferers will tell you that they rather suffer with pain than to deal with the uneasy creepy crawly feelings in their legs, torso, or arms. RLS is still being researched by doctors and it's idiopathic. Sorry, but I don't believe that those who suffer from pain and call it RLS are actually suffering from RLS. As a matter of fact...I think that it's another disorder or just muscle pain altogether. As I said before...I'd rather suffer with pain than deal with the indescribable feelings that I experience in my arms, legs, and torso.

Sincerely,
Dozyoff[/QUOTE]

I guess this is were we agree to disagree, because believe me living with chronic pain is no walk in the park. I do have creepy crawly, tingling, itching sensations and I would take them over pain any day.
I also got this info. on the RLS Official Web Page
COMMON SYMPTOMS OF RLS; Sensations can be "painful"or just uncomfortable and are often described as a general urge to move the legs (or other affected limbs).
So unless you have a medical degree, please don't tell people who experience pain because of their rls that they don't have rls, and must have something else. I guess the 95% of REAL RLS sufferers that don't experience the pain are slightly luckier than those of us who have all the symptoms INCLUDING PAIN.

Dozyoff 05-20-2009 07:38 AM

Unless you realize that RLS is still being diagnosed and the underlying cause is unknown, then perhaps you might understand that those who experience "pain" might not have the same syndrome. Just because someone has a medical degree or calls themself "doctor" doesn't mean that those who experience pain have RLS. Doctors have long misdiagnosed other syndromes as RLS until they've realized that they're not the same. Everyone that I know that had the creepy crawly indescribable sensations not only in their legs, but in their arms and even torso would tell you that they would rather GLADLY have PAIN than this eerie indescribable creepy crawyly feelings in their legs, arms, or torso.

Sincerely,
Dozyoff

[QUOTE=elle45;3988776]I guess this is were we agree to disagree, because believe me living with chronic pain is no walk in the park. I do have creepy crawly, tingling, itching sensations and I would take them over pain any day.
I also got this info. on the RLS Official Web Page
COMMON SYMPTOMS OF RLS; Sensations can be "painful"or just uncomfortable and are often described as a general urge to move the legs (or other affected limbs).
So unless you have a medical degree, please don't tell people who experience pain because of their rls that they don't have rls, and must have something else. I guess the 95% of REAL RLS sufferers that don't experience the pain are slightly luckier than those of us who have all the symptoms INCLUDING PAIN.[/QUOTE]

newbrunswick45 05-28-2009 07:59 AM

Um, I think this one got off the wrong track.......

I have RLS with pain, Fibro and Peripherial Neuropathy, Chronic Vertigo and a host of other symptoms to fuddle up the whole mess. When you start having more then one illness, it becomes difficult to sort out where one illness starts and one ends...I'd rather have no pain AND no creepy crawlies:dizzy: thank you very much.

I've heard of the soap trick - many swear by it. It won't hurt to try it.

Dozzyoff - it might help to keep your personal opinions about which symptom is worse - unless you have both - and it appears you do not have both so are therefore not the best one to say your illness is worse then someone else's - that is an opinion and really unkind to those that are suffering from an illness you don't understand or have. For those that are looking for information - it is helpful to have a kind person explain "their symtoms and how it affects them" rather then to say "you don't have it because I don't have pain with RLS - so therefore you don't have it."

Elle45 - try the soap - let us know if it worked for you.

elle45 05-28-2009 09:07 AM

You are absolutely right. What started as a funny little experiment turned into a ugly disagreement. So I decided not to respond to DozzyOff any more. I did try the soap thing and "yes" it actually worked. And if nothing else my sheets smelled good.
Thanks for your reply and I hope you feel well.

[QUOTE=newbrunswick45;3997012]Um, I think this one got off the wrong track.......

I have RLS with pain, Fibro and Peripherial Neuropathy, Chronic Vertigo and a host of other symptoms to fuddle up the whole mess. When you start having more then one illness, it becomes difficult to sort out where one illness starts and one ends...I'd rather have no pain AND no creepy crawlies:dizzy: thank you very much.

I've heard of the soap trick - many swear by it. It won't hurt to try it.

Dozzyoff - it might help to keep your personal opinions about which symptom is worse - unless you have both - and it appears you do not have both so are therefore not the best one to say your illness is worse then someone else's - that is an opinion and really unkind to those that are suffering from an illness you don't understand or have. For those that are looking for information - it is helpful to have a kind person explain "their symtoms and how it affects them" rather then to say "you don't have it because I don't have pain with RLS - so therefore you don't have it."

Elle45 - try the soap - let us know if it worked for you.[/QUOTE]

Dozyoff 05-28-2009 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=elle45;3997064]You are absolutely right. What started as a funny little experiment turned into a ugly disagreement. So I decided not to respond to DozzyOff any more. I did try the soap thing and "yes" it actually worked. And if nothing else my sheets smelled good.
Thanks for your reply and I hope you feel well.[/QUOTE]

:wave: newbrunswick45 and elle45.

I don't see anything ugly about the disagreements, only from your side and hers. I simply stated what I know and she got riled up and hotheaded about it. I wasn't the one being childish and saying..."I'm not responding to you anymore..." I was only trying to help. Lol. And btw,it's Dozyoff, not DozzyOff. lol!

My "opinion" is given from a physician who specializes in RLS and stated that RLS is still being misdiagnosed and believe that those who suffer from pain might not have the same illness. Any doctor in internal medicine who doesn't specialize in RLS can look to the medical dictionary that states that RLS may come with pain, however, those symptoms described hasn't been updated in decadeds. So relax, no need to get riled up...I'm only trying to help. Btw, I think it's cool how you both have 45 in your usernames and how both of you spelled my name "Dozzyoff." I think that's cute. :angel:

Sincerely,
Dozzyoff;)

newbrunswick45 05-28-2009 05:33 PM

[QUOTE=elle45;3997064] I did try the soap thing and "yes" it actually worked. And if nothing else my sheets smelled good.[/QUOTE]

Elle - good to hear of another success - anything that works is great.

Take care

reg12 05-29-2009 02:36 PM

Hi elle45,
We tried Ivory, Dial and Zest - nothing. A coworker's mother claimed that green Palmolive brand bar soap works. I found it hard to find. Not all stores handle it. I got some for my wife who would wake up at night with problems. I also sent some to a friend who was bothered by leg pain, who lives on the east coast. Both have claimed some relief. My wife has not used it now for about a year. My friend stopped complaining also. I can not explain how it works. Good luck.

Operating instructions: Lift top sheet, install soap on bottom sheet at bottom of bed, lower top sheet. I found it works the same whether you take it out of the wrapper or not.

writeleft 05-29-2009 04:20 PM

Beautiful...

Any little thing that we can do to relieve ourselves or our loved ones, is a good thing. There is absolutely no harm in trying it. If one person finds a speck of relief from old wives tales, or modern medicine, I think it worth passing on. Isn't that why we are here?

I do suffer from RLS, and am on effective medication for it...but I think I'll take a bar of soap to bed with me tonight, just for fun!

Wish you all the best.

elle45 05-29-2009 05:19 PM

Now these are the type of replies I was hoping for. I agree with writeleft, anything is worth a shot.
GOOD HEALTH TO ALL

reg12 05-29-2009 06:39 PM

Common sense makes you think someone is joking. That is what I thought when I first heard about it. I looked on the web and found all kinds of articles written about it. That is why I tried the different soaps without any success, until that woman's mother said she knew.

BeHappy2 09-01-2009 07:24 PM

I'm glad you posted this Elle45

I have Fibromyalgia and i do know how painful all can be.
I was wondering about the RLS and came across this helpful post of yours.

i tried the soap and it did not help me. I've never been diagnosed with RLS but reading this post was helpful. thanks

wish you well
BeHappy2