It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
(female)

bebe1016 HB User
Question what exactly is restless leg syndrome?

a past boyfriend of mine claims that he has this syndrome. He says that he can't help it and he has to be up and walking somewhere or doing something at all times. If he sits down for too long a period of time, he starts getting anxious and anxiety. I noticed that first handedly because everytime we spent time together he always had to be walking somewhere or doing something! I would get so aggravated because I would just want to the majority of the time.l Since this appears to be a real problem, what causes this restless leg syndrom? And how do you know if you have it or you're just hyper?

Last edited by bebe1016; 08-17-2009 at 08:48 AM.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
(male)

pjs009 HB User
Re: what exactly is restless leg syndrome?

It's not clear what causes the disorder, but there is some suggestive evidence. It is believed to involve a deficiency in Dopamine, or Dopamine's receptor in the basal ganglia of the brain. An absence of dopamine, or a mutated receptor, or non-responsive receptor causes a sensation in the legs. Upon movement - kicking, walking, stretching - the sensation goes away. For me, 30 minutes after I fall asleep, I am woken up by a shooting sensation down my lateral thigh. If I don't move my leg, it gets worse. It's definitely real, and can be much worse than my case.

For me, doing squats, stretching, or jogging before bed helps. Massaging the muscles also helps. There are medications, such as Requip (Ropinirole) however there can be long term side-effects. It sucks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
(male)

dogsdags HB User

my girlfriend gives out to me saying im just being silly but i have to keep moving.....
depends on your frame of mind how bad it is .... if theres something worrying you it will be bad and even cause alot of loss of sleep waking up on regalar basic thus making the problem even worse as bad sleep causes anxiety and depression.... i find jogging on the spot very fast for a couple of minutes helps alot....
but the feeling can nearly drive you crazy and to a person who has never experienced it , its hard to understand! the only way i can describe it is like this..... imagine being buried alive in a coffin, just imagine that feeling for a second..... so little space but you need to stretch your legs but cant... that my friend is the feeling of R.L.S

Old 10-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
(female)

cerajoan HB Usercerajoan HB User

It is hard to describe the feeling to someone who has never experienced it. I sometimes think of it as akin to a maddening, intense itch, and you have to move/ stretch to relieve it, which would not be a big deal it you didn't have to do it over and over and over and over again all night long!

Old 11-28-2009, 01:45 AM   #5
(female)

turtle60 HB User
Post Re: what exactly is restless leg syndrome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe1016 View Post
a past boyfriend of mine claims that he has this syndrome. He says that he can't help it and he has to be up and walking somewhere or doing something at all times. If he sits down for too long a period of time, he starts getting anxious and anxiety. I noticed that first handedly because everytime we spent time together he always had to be walking somewhere or doing something! I would get so aggravated because I would just want to the majority of the time.l Since this appears to be a real problem, what causes this restless leg syndrom? And how do you know if you have it or you're just hyper?
sounds like he has attention deficet disorder NOt restless legs syndrom

Closed Thread