It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
(male)

cannoli31 HB User
Question Mirapex Side Effects?

Hi, I am interested in what side effects anyone has experienced on it? I have been taking it for a week or two and my body seems to ache. I was really tired at first but think the pain is more of an issue. I would appreciate hearing anyone's experiences.

thanks,

Dave

Old 10-25-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
(male)

mgdbac HB User
Re: Mirapex Side Effects?

i've been on mirapex over a year now. the side effects i get are nausea,vomiting,cough and nasal congestion. usually all effects are in morning when i get up. i usually have the vomiting 2-4 times per week. the side effects are bad but the rls is worse.i put up with the side effects

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
(female)

Lauren419 HB User

I started taking Mirapex in 2006 at the lowest dose, over the years I had to gradually increase - as I increased the dosage I started to notice that I was experiencing compulsions such as eating, shopping, even chewing the inside of my mouth...these things snuck up very slowly and took awhile for me to figure out that it was the mirapex. I never had any issues with nausea or vomiting on Mirapex. I recently stopped taking the Mirapex and overnight all of my compulsions were gone. I have been trying to find another medicine that will work as well as the Mirapex but without the side effects. It has been a struggle and I am hoping I find something because I really do not want to go back on Mirapex. I have alot of pain in my legs too but the doctor says I have painful RLS, it is not due to the medication...hope this helps!

Old 11-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
(male)

cannoli31 HB User

Thanks that helps. I am taking 0.50 as an augment to my antidepressant. Not really sure if it is working. I would rather not have to up the dose too much if I dont need to. I definitely feel a little nauseated when I take it.
Sorry that your legs are in pain. I hope that improves.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannoli31 View Post
Hi, I am interested in what side effects anyone has experienced on it? I have been taking it for a week or two and my body seems to ache. I was really tired at first but think the pain is more of an issue. I would appreciate hearing anyone's experiences.

thanks,

Dave
Hi Dave,
I've just started on the Mirapex and wow, it knocks me out fast.
Shortly after i take it i feel tingly sensations run thru my legs and get wobbly.
In the mornings when i wake, my legs hurt so bad and feels like
charlie horses in my calf area.

Have you experienced any of this ? I'm taking 0.25 mg at bedtime.

Be WEll
BeHappy2

Old 11-29-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
(male)

oldguy41 HB User

Dave-- I have suffered from rls my entire adult life(I'm 69)I went to mirapex after suffering horrific rebound from the use of requip. mirapex(AT 1.5MG)fixed my rls unfortunately the side-effects became intolerable..The major problem was the shooting pains in my joints and muscles- the best medical description of these pains is lancinating shocks. I describe them as having the same effect as placing an electrical wire to our joint and turning on the juice momentarily. I have recently started on simenet and am working my way painfully through the so-called titration processto get a dosage that works. Absent the lancinating shocks I would still be on Mirapex. The nausea is also almost intolerable put I would put up with if the pains would stop.

Last edited by oldguy41; 11-29-2009 at 07:46 AM. Reason: omission of side effect

Old 12-30-2009, 05:13 AM   #7
(female)

nana cher HB User

Mirapex I thought was the answer to my prayers......wrong again Cher! worked great for a while, was able to stop using any other sleep aid. THEN daytime rls, worst thing.. the creepy crawlys' thing of the past or if i get em.. who cares.. the involuntary giant spasms / kicks in my legs and/or arms .. strange hand facial movements.. wow.. way too much. got so bad was taking it during the day, & couldn't drive more than 1/2 hr without my driving leg doing a can-can dance. what I find most interesting & would like to know more.. is my BRAIN.. Cannot think straight (when this is going on) feelings of major anger, my whole body would jerk and sounds coming out of my mouth, but I kept taking them, because they did help to get me into the sleep mode. Sometimes like tonight. 6 ativan later.. i feel like jumping off a bridge! there are times crying out to God to fix this.. as I feel like i'm goin insane (and thankfully now I know I"m not alone).. i still feel cuckoo. just when i think it's stopped after walking, sitting shaking my legs arms (am soooo exhausted , it subsides only to return as soon as i relax.. duh.
worse happened.. EDEMA oh.. major eating eating eating.. 30lbs! depression (don't blame it all on RLS tho).. ok, the swelling in my face, hands ect.. when I woke had gotten unbearable, finally got to see Dr (xmas holiday), so now..1st night off mirapex & on carbona/labona (spelling?) 100/25.. i'm sure you all know what i'm talking about.. HOW long does it take to work......argh. I remember taking this years ago to no help, but willing to try again. I was wondering about the sweets AND diet (aspertame) pop, and reading here has helped with that, but, this compulsion/obsession for sweets.. hope that leaves NOW> so how many ativan/lorazapam before you do harm.. i've taken 6 in 6hrs... they used to work great in the beginning.. years ago.. i'd be happy to go back to the mild form of rls.. but when zonked out & legs are doing quick snaps to the chin & body does major jerks.. come on.. i just cant' take it any more...... wanna cry.. but.. too dopey! omgosh.. i'm sure someone here can help (without screaming at me.. i'm emotional..lol)
thanks

wish we all have FREE treatment for Naturapathic remedies!!

Old 12-30-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
(female)

nana cher HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana cher View Post
Mirapex I thought was the answer to my prayers......wrong again Cher! worked great for a while, was able to stop using any other sleep aid. THEN daytime rls, worst thing.. the creepy crawlys' thing of the past or if i get em.. who cares.. the involuntary giant spasms / kicks in my legs and/or arms .. strange hand facial movements.. wow.. way too much. got so bad was taking it during the day, & couldn't drive more than 1/2 hr without my driving leg doing a can-can dance. what I find most interesting & would like to know more.. is my BRAIN.. Cannot think straight (when this is going on) feelings of major anger, my whole body would jerk and sounds coming out of my mouth, but I kept taking them, because they did help to get me into the sleep mode. Sometimes like tonight. 6 ativan later.. i feel like jumping off a bridge! there are times crying out to God to fix this.. as I feel like i'm goin insane (and thankfully now I know I"m not alone).. i still feel cuckoo. just when i think it's stopped after walking, sitting shaking my legs arms (am soooo exhausted , it subsides only to return as soon as i relax.. duh.
worse happened.. EDEMA oh.. major eating eating eating.. 30lbs! depression (don't blame it all on RLS tho).. ok, the swelling in my face, hands ect.. when I woke had gotten unbearable, finally got to see Dr (xmas holiday), so now..1st night off mirapex & on carbona/labona (spelling?) 100/25.. i'm sure you all know what i'm talking about.. HOW long does it take to work......argh. I remember taking this years ago to no help, but willing to try again. I was wondering about the sweets AND diet (aspertame) pop, and reading here has helped with that, but, this compulsion/obsession for sweets.. hope that leaves NOW> so how many ativan/lorazapam before you do harm.. i've taken 6 in 6hrs... they used to work great in the beginning.. years ago.. i'd be happy to go back to the mild form of rls.. but when zonked out & legs are doing quick snaps to the chin & body does major jerks.. come on.. i just cant' take it any more...... wanna cry.. but.. too dopey! omgosh.. i'm sure someone here can help (without screaming at me.. i'm emotional..lol)
thanks
********* post note**** caved in & took the mirapex after 8 ativan, I really cannot take it anymore. Am going to have a hot bath & pray that does the job. Anyone every been so wiped out on meds & still no relief? this is stupid..a nd am not repeating this nite! I have things to do with grandchildren today.
god bless..hope all is doing better than i.
thanks for listening

wish we all have FREE treatment for Naturapathic remedies!!

Old 12-31-2009, 06:10 AM   #9
(female)

Lauren419 HB User

Hi there, I can relate to almost all of what you describe - I don't have the involuntary spasms but I do have painful RLS. I was on a very high dose of Mirapex which was keeping my RLS in check but the side effects (shopping and eating compulsions, horrible nightmares, weight gain) were making me crazy. I spent two weeks trying every other medicine under the sun but could not really find anything that worked as well as the Mirapex. After much research I decided to try changing my diet. I tried dairy free for 2 weeks which did nothing and then tried gluten free. The gluten free diet has helped tremendously - there is connection between gluten free and neurological disorders which is what RLS is. I am now on a very low dose of Requip XL and stick to my gluten free diet, both of these things allow me to live a much more normal life. I can sleep at night and I rarely feel the RLS during the day. My doctor was shocked but did agree that the g/f diet could be helping - although he stated there is no research to back it - typical doctor reply. I hope that you have a good doctor who is willing to work with you to find the right mix of meds. I went through 4 docs before I found one that truly gave my issues credibility. I found it was very important for the doctor to see how the RLS was affecting my life emotionally, the depression, sleep deprivation, etc. I hope my story helps in some way! Best wishes, L

Old 12-31-2009, 09:57 PM   #10
(male)

cannoli31 HB User
Thumbs down Re: Mirapex Side Effects?

I stopped taking the medication. It was causing shooting muscle pains and made me nauseated. I was taking it as an augment to my antidepressant but it wasn't' effective.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
(female)

ohmicki HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannoli31 View Post

thanks,

Dave
Have been taking Mirapex for about 8 months for my severe RLS. Worked fine if I took it about an hour before bed. Just got back from the doctor because of some compulsive behavior, anxiety, ADD symptoms, losing things, memory issues, etc. - just feel like I'm coming apart at the seams. She is taking me off Mirapex and putting me on Requip because she said she has never seen compulsive behavior on Requip. I don't know if I can blame the Mirapex since I do lead a pretty busy, stressful life. Anyone else had any of these symptoms or symptoms from Requip??

The following user gives a hug of support to ohmicki:
getrdonedw (02-22-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to ohmicki For This Useful Post:
getrdonedw (02-22-2011)
Closed Thread