It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
(female)

alaska3355 HB User
Sugar and RLS

Hi, I'm a newbie. Not to RLS, though. I've just noticed a link with RLS and sugar.....duh, you'd think I would have figured this out long ago. I'm cutting way down on sugar, especially in the P.M. hours, and it has really helped me. Any other people noticing this? I also avoid caffeine and alcohol. I currently take 1.5 mg. of Mirapex daily.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:55 AM   #2
(female)

alaska3355 HB User
Re: Sugar and RLS

Hasn't anyone else noticed the link with sugar? I am baking with xylitol now, and am feeling much better. I am also experimenting with agave nectar.....both are expensive but good. I made some xylitol brownies last night, and they weren't bad!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

yes for me no doubt there was a direct link, not just to sugar but carb foods.
I had the worst RLS symptoms of my life when I was pregnant, turns out I had gestational diabetes and high blood sugar levels.

I have been on a low carb diet for a year and half. I do not eat any sugar at all (splenda as a substitute) I have cut out lactose, fructose as well. I also lost significant weight when cutting out sugar but that is another story.

I feel better, NO RLS at all, and I don't catch colds and other seasonal things as easily now. My immune system has strengthened. I don't miss the restless nights or crawling out of my skin in the car or on a plane.

I don't think people (including myself in the past) realize how much we overload our system on sugar. I am not saying that some RLS may have other causes, but for some people it could be the sugar/carb link and may be worth investigating.

good luck

Old 12-08-2009, 05:43 AM   #4
(female)

alaska3355 HB User

Thanks for the response, H2H. My RLS symptoms became much more prevalent during my last pregnancy (twins!) and soon after is when I started the Mirapex. I think that is great that you have solved your RLS naturally.....no more meds! I love to bake, so it's a bit of a problem, but I love feeling better. Even if I bake something for the twins once in awhile, I don't think I'll feel as tempted......it's nice not having so much RLS. I hear you on car/plane trips....I really need my Mirapex on those. But getting sugar out of my system is vital. How much weight have you lost? Congrats!

Old 12-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
(female)

Sara321 HB User

Omigosh, yes. In fact caffeine and sugar are about the only things that give me RLS. I now look at the ingredients of EVERYTHING i eat and discovered I can't have more than 10g of sugar or I'll start getting it. Even from non-sweet foods.

We're lucky for knowing this---too many people haven't made that correlation yet.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
(male)

secondlevel HB User

I have found that too. Any carbohydrate seems to make it worse.

Spirulina, or other dark green powders, like wheat grass powder, taken every day not only eliminate my symptoms, but have also made me feel much better in general.

I buy spirulina in bulk and take 4-6 tbs a day. IT WORKS!! No additional drugs needed.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:17 AM   #7
(female)

alaska3355 HB User

Thanks for the info, Sara and Second Level. I'm wondering what the spirulina does for you? I think of it as something to detox with.....is that the aim? Also, do you think it needs to be in loose powder form rather than tablets? I have bought the tablets before, as I didn't want to drink the stuff. But they were for my son, so I haven't tried it. It would be worth it if it worked! I'm glad you have figured out such a natural solution to your RLS......great!

Old 01-05-2010, 05:56 AM   #8
(female)

keriannmb HB User

wow. i WISH this was the answer for me!!! I've been eating a low-carb low-to-no-sugar diet now for exactly one year (started Atkins 03/Jan/09)...but for me I've not gotten ANY relief as far as my symptoms go.

I do use erythritol as a sweetener and even eat a fairly gluten-free diet (and am trying even harder to do so in 2010)...but no - unfortunately I have not found this to be true for me...I do wish you all luck though, who HAVE found that it works!

Old 01-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
(female)

alaska3355 HB User

So sorry that you haven't had much relief. Keep trying to see what might be a trigger....it took me 14 years to figure out the sugar connection! I have been enjoying agave as a sweetener....it tastes really good. But, once again, I can't have too much of it or too late at night or I will pay for it!

Old 01-07-2010, 06:07 AM   #10
(female)

keriannmb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska3355 View Post
So sorry that you haven't had much relief. Keep trying to see what might be a trigger....it took me 14 years to figure out the sugar connection! I have been enjoying agave as a sweetener....it tastes really good. But, once again, I can't have too much of it or too late at night or I will pay for it!
thanks! I am also trying to cut soy out of my diet this year as well (learning how to make my own mayo and salad dressings...) for many reasons - not really related to RLS but hey - who knows if THAT could be a trigger?!

my doc did just start me on mirapex and siminet...the first night I only had mirapex and it was .125mg - tossed/turned/flipped like a fish out of water (yeah my "usual" sleep...) - second night again mirapex alone - better - not as much flipping but still woke up about 3 - 4 times...last night about the same as the second night and I finally had the siminet too.

I will be upping to the .25mg after 1 week - and tonight I'm going to try adding back my valerian root tea - see if that helps at all.

I have another appt with doc in 1 month to tell him how this is going. I've been trying to keep a running diary of how my sleep is per night...so i guess it's just hit/miss and trying to find what WILL work!

Old 01-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
(female)

alaska3355 HB User

Interesting- I've never heard of combining sinemet and mirapex. You have a fairly low dose of both, so that may be why you can combine. I've had some luck with adding calcium, magnesium, potassium, Vit.C and Vit. D and E daily. I'm more relaxed at bedtime.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:18 AM   #12
(female)

alaska3355 HB User

Hi keriann,
I'd be interested in your salad dressing recipes.....I have one I like to make, kind of a vinaigrette. It is: 1/2 c. olive oil, 1/3 c. cider vinegar, and 2 T. dijon mustard. Mix well and that's it! No sugar or additives.....and it's good for you!
Take care.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #13
(female)

mykaj HB User

Today I learned that the creepy crawl feeling I have experienced in the past 6 months has a name: RLS. I thought it was caused by an injured back or stress in the past year.. I'm sad to read this is so prevalent and not on single recommendation for a cure. The note about sugar and caffeine makes alot of sense to me since that is something i have been consuming more of this past year due to stress than at any other time in my life. I will cut out or cut back of both as of RIGHT now and let you know if that makes a difference. My chiropractor suggested drinking LOTS of water, regular hours of sleep (8hrs) daily walking excercise.. any of you agree with this will aid the symptoms? The thought this might get worse freaks me out.. and I don't like taking medication other than natural meds.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #14
(female)

keriannmb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska3355 View Post
Hi keriann,
I'd be interested in your salad dressing recipes.....I have one I like to make, kind of a vinaigrette. It is: 1/2 c. olive oil, 1/3 c. cider vinegar, and 2 T. dijon mustard. Mix well and that's it! No sugar or additives.....and it's good for you!
Take care.
hello again! sorry this is so late.

I haven't really found one I love just yet - but I have been trying some from recipezaar (a site)

Last edited by keriannmb; 01-26-2010 at 06:22 PM.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #15
(female)

keriannmb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykaj View Post
Today I learned that the creepy crawl feeling I have experienced in the past 6 months has a name: RLS. I thought it was caused by an injured back or stress in the past year.. I'm sad to read this is so prevalent and not on single recommendation for a cure. The note about sugar and caffeine makes alot of sense to me since that is something i have been consuming more of this past year due to stress than at any other time in my life. I will cut out or cut back of both as of RIGHT now and let you know if that makes a difference. My chiropractor suggested drinking LOTS of water, regular hours of sleep (8hrs) daily walking excercise.. any of you agree with this will aid the symptoms? The thought this might get worse freaks me out.. and I don't like taking medication other than natural meds.
I have been told, too, by my sleep doctor that getting rid of the caffiene should help a bit...I don't eat sugar (as I posted before) and so for me, this is not an issue. I would love to tell you about the sleep thing - but obviously this is why I'm here...my RLS is pretty much only at night and it keeps me up which is why my insomnia is prevalent. If you CAN get 8 hours of sleep / night - then do what you can to make sure you get those full 8 hours. Sleep is one of the MOST important aspects of health...

Don't really have too many suggestions on how to help you out. I actually do not have the creepy crawly feelings in my legs, at least not that I have ever noticed...my own issue is that I toss and turn while I'm in bed at night and it keeps me awake because I literally feel like a fish flopping out of water.

Now, this past month - I've been on mirapex and siminet and they seem to be working - but I've also really upped my exercise and I do a lot of Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds videos which could also be helping as well.

Really all you can do is try things for yourself and see what helps!

good luck!!

Closed Thread