HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Restless Leg Syndrome (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/restless-leg-syndrome/)
-   -   Mirapex...how long does it take to start working? also weight gain ?? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/restless-leg-syndrome/729583-mirapex-how-long-does-take-start-working-also-weight-gain.html)

keriannmb 01-05-2010 05:48 AM

Mirapex...how long does it take to start working? also weight gain ??

Ok, so I was FINALLY diagnosed with true RLS (which I've [I]thought[/I] I've had for a long time (since childhood?) + mom and grandma have/had/WERE diagnosed with...)

I did a sleep study at the end of November and saw the sleep doc yesterday (January 04). The study showed that I def. have PLMD. Yesterday the doc also said I def. have RLS. He gave me an RX for mirapex and sinemet. I wasn't able to get the sinemet yet but the pharmacy should have it tonight. Doc gave me a sample pack for the mirapex - a weeks worth of .125 mg pills and a second weeks worth of .25 mg pills.

I [I]was[/I] tested for iron deficiancy and of course it came back negative - but the sleep doc yesterday told me that people who have RLS may not have iron deficiancy show up on a test since there's a higher bar for people with RLS than normal people...so I was in need of getting a new multi-vitamin anyways (needed some pre-natals) and made sure I got one with iron in it (women's one-a-day pre-natals).

SO after that explanataion...my question is - how long does it take for mirapex to start working? I took one .125 mg pill last night and UGH I tossed and turned like no other last night! My body actually hurts this morning from the "tumbling act", as I like to call it, that I did in my sleep last night.
Maybe I was expecting too much on the first night? I don't know...but I do know I'm absolutely exhausted this morning...

I must add I am SO incredibly thankful that my husband is one of the world's heaviest sleepers and [I]never[/I] wakes up from my movements. :)

Also - another question - for those on either mirapex or sinemet (or both at same time)...for those who've gained weight on it - do you eat a fairly SAD (standard american diet) diet? I eat a low-carb fairly gluten-free diet and I'm just worried because I've been maintaining a good 30 pound loss and do NOT want to worry about gaining it back...

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read / reply to my questions!!!!

gmakitty 01-06-2010 05:08 AM

Re: Mirapex...how long does it take to start working? also weight gain ??

[QUOTE=keriannmb;4156109]Ok, so I was FINALLY diagnosed with true RLS (which I've [I]thought[/I] I've had for a long time (since childhood?) + mom and grandma have/had/WERE diagnosed with...)

I did a sleep study at the end of November and saw the sleep doc yesterday (January 04). The study showed that I def. have PLMD. Yesterday the doc also said I def. have RLS. He gave me an RX for mirapex and sinemet. I wasn't able to get the sinemet yet but the pharmacy should have it tonight. Doc gave me a sample pack for the mirapex - a weeks worth of .125 mg pills and a second weeks worth of .25 mg pills.

I [I]was[/I] tested for iron deficiancy and of course it came back negative - but the sleep doc yesterday told me that people who have RLS may not have iron deficiancy show up on a test since there's a higher bar for people with RLS than normal people...so I was in need of getting a new multi-vitamin anyways (needed some pre-natals) and made sure I got one with iron in it (women's one-a-day pre-natals).

SO after that explanataion...my question is - how long does it take for mirapex to start working? I took one .125 mg pill last night and UGH I tossed and turned like no other last night! My body actually hurts this morning from the "tumbling act", as I like to call it, that I did in my sleep last night.
Maybe I was expecting too much on the first night? I don't know...but I do know I'm absolutely exhausted this morning...

I must add I am SO incredibly thankful that my husband is one of the world's heaviest sleepers and [I]never[/I] wakes up from my movements. :)

Also - another question - for those on either mirapex or sinemet (or both at same time)...for those who've gained weight on it - do you eat a fairly SAD (standard american diet) diet? I eat a low-carb fairly gluten-free diet and I'm just worried because I've been maintaining a good 30 pound loss and do NOT want to worry about gaining it back...

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read / reply to my questions!!!![/QUOTE]

gmakitty 01-06-2010 05:17 AM

So sorry to hear about your RLS - I have a very bad case myself. The Mirapex should start soon - but they have you on the lowest dose. They will increase you to a workable dose gradually - probably .25 mg at bedtime. That works for most people. My RLS is so severe that it has adapted to the Mirapex and starts acting up in the afternoon so that I had to start taking a large evening dose (100 mg), and 50 mg in the afternoon and 50 mg in the morning. If I miss even one dose during the day, or if it's a few hours late, I suffer for hours at night. I also take Topamax at night and in the morning.

Try taking the Mirapex about an hour before bed and then taking a hot bath. If you take a sleep aid, take it then as well. Prepare your bedroom - cool, dark, quiet, etc - or quiet music, read for an hour, etc - no TV - til you're drowsy. You should go off to sleep without a problem. If you get the creepy crawlies, get up - don't lay there - walk around. Stand up and watch TV if you have to, take another bath, get on the computer. All these things work for me. Hot milk, carb snack, then try to go back to bed.

Hope your MD increases your dose soon. Call him/her - don't wait if it's not working.

gmakitty/nurse practitioner

keriannmb 01-07-2010 06:03 AM

[QUOTE=gmakitty;4156886]So sorry to hear about your RLS - I have a very bad case myself. The Mirapex should start soon - but they have you on the lowest dose. They will increase you to a workable dose gradually - probably .25 mg at bedtime. That works for most people. My RLS is so severe that it has adapted to the Mirapex and starts acting up in the afternoon so that I had to start taking a large evening dose (100 mg), and 50 mg in the afternoon and 50 mg in the morning. If I miss even one dose during the day, or if it's a few hours late, I suffer for hours at night. I also take Topamax at night and in the morning.

Try taking the Mirapex about an hour before bed and then taking a hot bath. If you take a sleep aid, take it then as well. Prepare your bedroom - cool, dark, quiet, etc - or quiet music, read for an hour, etc - no TV - til you're drowsy. You should go off to sleep without a problem. If you get the creepy crawlies, get up - don't lay there - walk around. Stand up and watch TV if you have to, take another bath, get on the computer. All these things work for me. Hot milk, carb snack, then try to go back to bed.

Hope your MD increases your dose soon. Call him/her - don't wait if it's not working.

gmakitty/nurse practitioner[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply!!! It's been three nights now - nothing nearly as bad as the first night - but it wasn't "great" last night or Tuesday either...but I don't really remember tossing/turning as MUCH the past two nights...I did finally take the siminet last night too.

Yeah - he has me increasing to the .25 by next week. IS it ok to take a sleep aid with the meds? I usually use Valerian root extract mixed in to "sleepytime extra" tea which also includes a little valerian...maybe i'll try that tonight. :)

My RLS is really only a big issue for me at night - normally when i'm laying in bed watching the news or something is when my legs will start twitching...and obviously when i'm TRYING to sleep at night they make me literally "flip like a fish out of water". I have wondered if getting up and walking around would help - but sometimes I'm so "in between" sleep and awake that I know I couldn't actually get out of bed to do so!

I'm really pretty new to trying to find a solution though...even though this has literally been going on probably since childhood...(and i'm 30!)
I used to have girlfriends that would spend the night/sleepovers - and they wouldn't want to sleep in the same bed with me because of my moving...
Same with in my mid-20's a guy I dated wouldn't sleep in the same bed with me after a while because he was such a light sleeper and I was CONSTANTLY moving allllll night long. :( (again, I thank God that my husband doesn't awaken for anything!) I feel bad for our pug some nights though! lol. :)

But anywhoooo. thanks for the reply!!! Maybe once I up it to the full .25 dose that'll help...

keriannmb 01-08-2010 06:03 AM

Ok this sucks...last night I took my .125 mg of mirapex plus the sinemet (the generic is...) PLUS I drank my valerian root tea / extract...maybe this was too much but I slept for MAYBE 2 OR 3 hours total! The mirapex and sinemet are NOT a sleep aid, right? It's only supposed to suppress the movement in my legs...right?
But I'm wondering if that was too much cuz I lay there from 3 a.m. Til 7 a.m. Totallly awake! Ugh!

I'm gonna keep taking the meds though...need to up to .25 and see if that's maybe it? I have another appt with my sleep doc in 1 mnth to talk about whether it's working or not. He didn't tell me to, but I'm keeping a diary (blog) about my sleeping every night so I can tell him what worked/doesn't work...

keriannmb 01-10-2010 11:54 PM

ok, so last night I upped the dose to .25 as prescribed...and it is now 2:52 a.m. I GOT UP around 2:15 as for the past few hours since going to bed (not, sleep, mind you...) I've been tossing/turning like no other and can not SLEEP!

is this a side effect of the mirapex? no sleep whatsoever? I'm very tired...and that's probably due to the valerian root tea + extract I just drank - as well as the fact that it's almost 3 in the freakin' morning!!!!

I don't want to stop taking it,but at the same time this SUCKS!

Friday and saturday night I didn't take it at all and slept pretty well...

I don't know it's like the mirapex is making things, including the RLS worse...

gmakitty 01-12-2010 05:14 AM

[QUOTE=keriannmb;4160484]ok, so last night I upped the dose to .25 as prescribed...and it is now 2:52 a.m. I GOT UP around 2:15 as for the past few hours since going to bed (not, sleep, mind you...) I've been tossing/turning like no other and can not SLEEP!

is this a side effect of the mirapex? no sleep whatsoever? I'm very tired...and that's probably due to the valerian root tea + extract I just drank - as well as the fact that it's almost 3 in the freakin' morning!!!!

I don't want to stop taking it,but at the same time this SUCKS!

Friday and saturday night I didn't take it at all and slept pretty well...

I don't know it's like the mirapex is making things, including the RLS worse...[/QUOTE]

One thing that's not good is to start several things at once, so that when you don't get the desired effect, you can't tell which thing caused the error. When you start a new med you shouldn't start anything else new. As you're adjusting to the Mirapex and increasing the dose, I wouldn't take anything that I hadn't taken successfully before for sleep. Have you taken any sleep prescription like Ambien or Lunesta? Benadryl? You might try those again, if you already knew you were used to them.

Look up Mirapex on Google for side effects - sleeplessness and drug interactions to see if the valerian interacts. Go back to my suggestions about "sleep hygiene" - pre-sleep routines that help your body get ready for sleep - and keep a stern schedule for yourself, do not deviate even a single night, bedtime, bathtime, no tv in bed, etc, Also call your doc and let him/her know about the trouble you're having. You may need to change meds - I couldn't take Requip but it works great for other people and vice versa for Mirapex.

Good luck
Gmakitty

keriannmb 01-12-2010 06:46 AM

Well I have been using the valerian for a few months off/on in order to sleep so it's not really anything new...I try to keep a schedule at night but when we go to bed, my husband HAS to have the tv on before going to sleep - and honestly it's never really been too much of an issue to FALL asleep more it's once I am asleep it's STAYING asleep because I will wake up as soon as my legs start up and I move / start to toss and turn...the doc said when I move it sends a message to my brain that it's time to wake up which is why I wake up so much during the night...
I took the mirapex and simenet again last night and slept a little bit better...I just need to figure out exactly what works, dose wise/schedule wise.

I appreciate all this feedback!!

gmakitty 01-13-2010 06:33 AM

[QUOTE=keriannmb;4161352]Well I have been using the valerian for a few months off/on in order to sleep so it's not really anything new...I try to keep a schedule at night but when we go to bed, my husband HAS to have the tv on before going to sleep - and honestly it's never really been too much of an issue to FALL asleep more it's once I am asleep it's STAYING asleep because I will wake up as soon as my legs start up and I move / start to toss and turn...the doc said when I move it sends a message to my brain that it's time to wake up which is why I wake up so much during the night...
I took the mirapex and simenet again last night and slept a little bit better...I just need to figure out exactly what works, dose wise/schedule wise.

I appreciate all this feedback!![/QUOTE]

What is your body type? If you are of large body - have you been tested for sleep apnea? You could be jerking yourself awake when you stop breathing for certain lengths (long) of time while asleep. It is documented that patients with sleep apnea have RLS and vice versa. I do. I need a CPAP machine to force air into my breathing so that it doesn't close down by itself and stop - causing my brain to make me jerk violently and inhale to start breathing again multiple times per hour. You really lose a lot of sleep like this. You might research sleep apnea/RLS and see if it sounds like you and have a sleep study. The results might be very interesting.

DaisyDo53 02-01-2010 03:11 AM

Hi Keriannmb,

I am not familiar with Sinemet, but have been on Mirapex for a little over 2 years now. And I can tell you in those 2 years, my total weight gain was only 8 lbx. I take 3 .125mg daily. I find I have to take them about 2 hours before bed time or they dont seem to benefit the legs. Guess my body is really slow at metabolizing the med.

An no, they do not appear to act as a sleeping aid.Had to smile at the mention of the Valerian tea, I also drink it before bed. (My cat likes a small saucer of it cooled down too).

My doctor has prescribed Zopiclone for occasional sleepless nights. It is a mild sedative that really helps me sleep when the RLS is pretty bad.

So unless your body is going to metabolize the Mirapex differently than mine, I dont think you should let the fear of weight gain keep you from giving them a good try.

I am up right now because I forgot to take my Mirapex 2 hours before bed and now am just waithing for it to kick in. For me it does an adequate job of controlling the creepy-crawly sensations I get.

I wish you the best of luck.
Daisydo53 :)

Luv2Travel 02-25-2010 01:01 PM

Hi Kerriannmb. I am very interested in this thread as I started Miraplex 2 nights ago. My doctor has me taking .125 mg and I am supposed to give this one month and see if it helps (no plans to ramp up dosage). He said that I've most likely been this way a long time and it won't change over night. I had 2 sleep studies, both ruled out apnea, but showed lots of leg movement. I had an average of 32 limb movements per hour. I tried Requip before but couldn't tolerate it as I became extremely constipated and had lower belly pain that woke me up at night. How has it been going for you with the Miraplex?