It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
(male)

Bubbacritz HB User
RLS when tired?

Alright i am 16 and i think i may have RLS (or something similar), i knows it more common in adults but i do have the creepy crawly and uneasy feeling in my legs and i can feel the tingling a little bit in my arms too. What i find weird is it doesn't disturb my sleep after i manage to get to sleep and really its only noticeable when i become a little bit sleepy (starts up around 9-10pm). I am misdiagnosing this? either way its very uncomfortable when i want to stay up later so if anyone can lend me a hand here it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
p.s. it is happening right now and i was just reading that gluten can cause it and i happend to eat pasta tonight for dinner, a common meal for my family, could that be the problem?

Last edited by Bubbacritz; 01-30-2010 at 11:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 01-31-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
(female)

alaska3355 HB User
Re: RLS when tired?

Yes, it could be the gluten. You could try going gluten free for awhile and see if that helps your symptoms. I have also noticed sugar and caffeine as triggers. I had pasta last night and noticed more severe leg cramps.....I should also try the gluten free diet.
You may want to see a doctor about your symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
(female)

maggzz HB User

I did a lot of research at one time on RLS and the theory seems to be that it is an inability of the black matter in the brain to absorb iron properly. I know that when I was anaemic at one time it went a lot worse. Get your doctor to check your ferritin (iron storage) and although normal levels are something like 10-150 try to make sure yours stays above 70.Also take some magnesium supplements. Apart from that I really don't believe there is anything you can do that will make it better apart from drugs. If you have it then you have it and anyone who says it was cured by diet probably doesn't really have it in the first place. Maybe just something like it. I take clonazepam and although I've become tolerant to it and have to take quite a lot to stop the jumpy feeling it is still the only thing that works and I've tried a lot.
Good luck

Old 03-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

There are many causes of RLS ...it also can include the arms and it can happen day and night...and it happens when you are trying to relax and fall asleep. It is not something that can be controlled and it is something that can drive you absolutely insane. I don't know what you have but it isn't just a little thing it is a very big deal and without the aid of medications you can't sleep or relax and all you want to do is walk and or constantly move your legs/arms... you can not control it and is extremely uncomfortable. Some causes also include long term use of some medications and the only way to rest and relax is to take a narcotic, Benzodiazepine or antiparkinsonism agents...however, not many are helped with the RLS agents they promote as helping. Good luck in finding out what is going on with you.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
(female)

Oldbones HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnD View Post
There are many causes of RLS ...it also can include the arms and it can happen day and night...and it happens when you are trying to relax and fall asleep. It is not something that can be controlled and it is something that can drive you absolutely insane. I don't know what you have but it isn't just a little thing it is a very big deal and without the aid of medications you can't sleep or relax and all you want to do is walk and or constantly move your legs/arms... you can not control it and is extremely uncomfortable. Some causes also include long term use of some medications and the only way to rest and relax is to take a narcotic, Benzodiazepine or antiparkinsonism agents...however, not many are helped with the RLS agents they promote as helping. Good luck in finding out what is going on with you.
Re: RLS

* Ann*

Ann - Your description of RLS has never been more accurate than any I have ever read. I have been miserable, periodically, with RLS for several years. It doesn't happen every night but when it does, I am awake all night and get absolutely NO sleep or rest. Like you say.........I walk, I get in bed, out of bed, eat....lie on the couch.....anything to take my mind away from the movements I "must" make. I have Systemic Lupus that affects my joints, especially my hip and not only do I try to walk, out of desperation, but the pain in my hip becomes unbearable. I have also had the sensations move up into both arms and I move my feet.....I throw my arms......it isn't a pleasant sight. Some people think leg cramps are restless legs but until you have had an out and out attack, nothing describes the feeling that you have to move your legs (and sometimes arms). I do have Clonopin (Klonopin) to take for these episodes but 2 tablets (1mg) doesn't phase it. In the early morning, after about 4-6 hours from taking my first dose of Clonopin, I took another 2 tablets and did seem to get some relief but by then the sun was up and all the neighbors were outside tending their yards and I hadn't closed my eyes all night long! RLS is the most miserable, out of control feeling, that I have ever experienced.

I don't want to overdose on Clonopin but RLS is almost undescribable to someone who has never experienced a full-blown attack. I am also on strong pain meds for Lupus and want to be very careful on the Clonopin usage. I really don't know how I am functioning at this moment after my night-marish night, but I had to go to Healthboards to see if anyone had other suggestions. I managed to sleep 2 hours after 6 a.m. I assume that with your RLS description, you must suffer from RLS or work closely with others who have it. Any further help on the subject? I do thank you.

Closed Thread