It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
(male)

bg77 HB User
could it be RLS?

Have been going through many different possibilities for this (and yes I have appts w/ a neurologist for it) but was thinking about this.

Have had an increasing level of discomfort in both legs and my right arm (mostly, a tiny bit in left) where I have a slightly painful, weakish feeling that makes it feel like I have to move it. I also have tingling in my feet and hands (did get a tarsal tunnel & carpal tunnel dx) that has been around for a much longer time. Originally I thought it was related, but they rarely occur at the same time and there seems to be no pattern, so I'm beginning to think they're two unrelated conditions.

The arm and leg feeling is not really a tingling, but not really a pulling or pain either, a weird sensation, "feels" weak but really isn't, feels like it needs to move or almost as if it's going to move itself, but it doesn't. Seems to get worse once I get anxious about it (I do have GAD - diagnosed in '02 but no meds for it at the moment as it's mild). It moves from limb to limb - rarely in more than one at a time, seems WAY to inconsistent to be MS or something similar - and I have no actual loss of strength, it just "feels" weak - but I can lift just as much as any other time, and walking is fine, no balance issues, no stumbling, no loss of strength there either.

It appears with no rhyme or reason. MOST of the time, I sleep fine, but when I first lie down I often have to move my legs together for a short time, and it can take time to get comfortable. Then usually, I sleep fine, but there have been a handful of nights where it keeps me up. During the day it's very random - can be totally absent, or just pop up in one limb or another and go away just as quickly. It's pretty mild, doesn't affect my daily activity, but can get strong enough to notice and not ignore.

Other info - I'm overweight, 32 years old, male, was ADHD as a child, have VERY mild sleep apnea. Not diabetic, B12 level 407 (a little low), Thyroid OK.

Could this be RLS?

Last edited by bg77; 04-08-2010 at 09:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
(female)

cerajoan HB Usercerajoan HB User
Re: could it be RLS?

It could be. I think a big thing with RLS is the need to move the limb to find relief from the sensation, and the sensation is very hard to describe. I describe it as something like an itch deep inside the muscle that can only be relieved by moving it. Still, it's not really an itch, it's just hard to describe. And it does vary in intensity from mild to maddening. What you describe could be RLS.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
(male)

bg77 HB User

The odd part is the cramps I get - sometimes they really feel like cramps instead of the creepy-crawling RLS feeling - can RLS cause cramps too? Occasionally I even get a brief muscle twitch.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
(female)

cerajoan HB Usercerajoan HB User

I've never gotten cramps, except if I pull a muscle like with a charley horse. If I attempt to keep my legs still though, they will jump all by themselves. I wouldn't call it a muscle twitch though, it's an outright jump.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
(female)

peggylee66 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerajoan View Post
It could be. I think a big thing with RLS is the need to move the limb to find relief from the sensation, and the sensation is very hard to describe. I describe it as something like an itch deep inside the muscle that can only be relieved by moving it. Still, it's not really an itch, it's just hard to describe. And it does vary in intensity from mild to maddening. What you describe could be RLS.
My Husband's legs twitch & move vigorously @ nite while he's in a deep sleep? Is this RLS?

Closed Thread