It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User
Melatonin causes restless leg

Hey everyone I have taken this 2 times in the past and both times I had RLS. This is natural so I was surprised. I only took 3mg too. Any thoughts??

Thank you

Old 12-19-2010, 06:21 AM   #2
(female)

callmely HB User
Re: Melatonin causes restless leg

I have mad RLS. It was bad when I was a kid, went away in my later teen and early adult years and came back with a vengeance in the last 4 years. Prior to it returning, I was using melatonin regularly for a good year without any trouble with RLS but since going on Effexor and withdrawing from a bad drug habit, my RLS came back. It was then that I noticed the Melatonin was aggravating my symptoms especially in the early morning hours. After doing some research, I found that like Melatonin, RLS has it's own circadian rhythm but they compete against each other...Melatonin wants you asleep at night but RLS wants to keep you awake. Such a bummer too b/c melatonin was the other thing that helped me fall asleep at night.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User

ahhh well that sucks big time. I have had an antihistamine do the same thing before.
On a side note callmely my sister has a mood disorder and mild retardation and has been through many meds for that. She took a few that caused akathisia which is close to RLS but you feel it all over. There are a few meds they give to counteract it though. I wish you well. And thanks for your reply.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
(female)

callmely HB User

Thanks for the reply...what you mentioned about your sister...I definitely have the RLS all over the place especially in the pelvic area. But yeah the arms too, it's awesome. haha. I'm going to look up akathisia and see what that's all about.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Closed Thread