It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
(female)

djher HB User
Others with RLS

I am so glad I found this forum.
I have had RLS for more than 15 years. I think my husband thinks I nuts when I tell him RLS is a real condition.
So glad there are others out there thatunderstand what I've been going through.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User
Re: Others with RLS

HI djher, yes I too suffer from rls for about 15 years too! I hate it but thankfully it doesn't flare up every night. I goes anywhere from mild to BAD!!! It is very real - like a migraine is, it's a medical condition for real!! Mine is not painful but its unbearable. And UP ALL NIGHT come on!I take requip and thru them away. What else is out there to take? Hang in there girl and let hubby real all that is written! Take care! Dee

The Following User Says Thank You to dee088 For This Useful Post:
djher (04-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
(female)

teri579 HB Userteri579 HB User

I can't count the number of years that I've had it but it's truly been effecting my life, effecting my sleep in a major way for at least 2 years. I have not been one to go to the doctor, just went 3 weeks ago for the first time in 10 yrs. I went because I had arthritis symptoms and fatigue all winter long and I thought I had Lymes Disease, and also because I ripped my rotator cuff (or so I think) back in November, again, never went to the doctor - thought maybe it would go away and get better on it's own, but it didn't.

Well, turns out I've got all kinds of stuff going on inside, I won't get into that but I have to tell you what CURED my restless leg syndrome within a week. What they started treating me for immediately was severe anemia (my blood levels are at the transfusion levels but we're avoiding a transfusion by me resting until my surgery in 2 weeks). So 3 weeks ago my doctor put me on prenatal vitamins until I could get in to see a hematologist. I started feeling better pretty quickly, then the hematologist put me on 1000mg of farrous sulfate (iron) per day (I take each one with a stool softener) and she said she didn't know why the prenatal vitamins would make me feel better so soon but I should continue taking them if they do because maybe there's something in them that my body needs. So I have now been on the iron for almost 3 weeks plus the prenatal vitamin. Within days of taking the prenatal vitamins and iron, my restless leg syndrome completely disappeared! My husband was the first to notice and comment on how soundly I'm sleeping all of the sudden. I didn't realize I've been keeping him up for all these years. My husband is such a skeptic, he says it every morning now "wow, you're still sleeping really good!"

So I am so 'rested' and 'peaceful' after such a good night sleep now, bedtime is just a whole different experience when it's so calm and serene - I look back and it was like chaos going on with my legs every night! SO FRUSTRATING, I'd finally go downstairs and lay on the couch, but then that position would bother me, so I'd end up on the recliner, then finally I'd go back to bed and sleep but I'd miss out on so many hours of sleep.

I did not even go to the doctor for this - I sort of forgot about it and was SO pleasantly surprised that I ended up being cured (at least I hope it stays away and I'm cured) as if it were a symptom to one or more of the other things going on with me right now.

I'm not suggesting that everybody go out and take that many miligrams of iron! Too much iron can be toxic and harm you if you are not low on iron, so if you have had your blood tested lately, look at your hemoglobin and ferritin levels. Maybe discuss those with your doctor if you feel they are low. I can't be certain if it's the iron or something in the prenatal vitamins that are helping me but I'm just thrilled and thought maybe this could help someone else like me. Prenatal vitamins are available over the counter now btw.

I wish everybody a peaceful nights sleep.

Michelle

Old 05-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
(female)

djher HB User

Thanks for sharing the info. I'll talk to my doctor about it.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
(female)

teri579 HB Userteri579 HB User

Also, I've been reading more of some older threads on this forum - what a wealth of information. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it's a combination of things I'm doing 'right' that are helping keep my RLS at bay. Sounds like some things work for some people and other things work for others. Some people swear by the orthodics inserts for your shoes. That is what made me think... hmmm, in recent years I've been wearing cheap shoes that don't give good support. The day before I got my first test results back I decided it was time to get a good pair of running shoes and begin walking every day again. Then of course, my doctor told me I had to practically have bed rest figures ha? So I had found a nice pair of New Balance running shoes on clearance at TJ Maxx. They just feel soooo supportive, I love them! I've been wearing them every day, all day, no matter what, because I figure it might help my aching back. Now I'm wondering if they are doing for me & my RLS what these orthodics are doing for other people... in combination with the iron maybe.

Either way, just like ailments can trigger a domino effect of negative symptoms in your body... I've had a domino effect of positive things improving my overall health in the last 3 weeks. The iron (and prenatal vitamins) has improved my low blood levels, bringing up my energy, it has also eliminated my RLS which makes me sleep more sound than I have in years... which gives me energy too... my new shoes, putting spring in my step, making me feel like I could almost run a marathon if I wanted to right now...

I recommend to newbies that they spend some time researching the past threads in this forum - there's a lot of good advice here and I like that a lot of people are looking for and finding remedies without going on the narcotics that doctors are prescribing and recommending as the only treatment. I'm beginning to believe that like Anemia, RLS is actually just a symptom, not a disease... so the search needs to begin to get to the root of what is 'causing' it once diagnosed, not to just to treat the symptom. Maybe it's your footwear... maybe it's an iron deficiency... maybe it's both... maybe it's a magnesium deficiency. It sounds like there can be many different things that can cause RLS, not just one and there are many cures, depending on what is causing yours, not just one.

Just my thoughts

Michelle

Last edited by teri579; 05-20-2011 at 06:10 AM.

Closed Thread