It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #16
(female)

KittyKafka HB User
Re: PLEASE - for God's sake - HELP ME!

I take Ropinerole (generic for Requip) for my rls. It works, except I still have itchy twitchy feet at night at times. I have a balance disorder as well and was taking a med for that but it made the rls WORSE! So I quit and just have more balance issues...much less stressful than rls and not sleeping. I know that some people eat more iron-rich foods such as spinach and dried fruits and that supposedly helps. Also some people find relief by exercising more often. Good luck!!!!!!!!

Old 09-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #17
(female)

vjzam HB User

I am new to the site (RLS) and when walking the house at night am finding it a comfort to sit (stand...) at the computer and log in ' I am not alone", thanks to fellow sufferers who share their stories and ideas for help, perhaps one day RLS will be taken seriously by the Medical Profession - it may not be life threatening, but it is certainly soul destroying, I have suffered for about 50 years (giving away my age....) and was only properely diagnosed about 5 years ago, not that there was any medication available - Africa....but now I can get some help and thnaks to all for sharing their stories

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2011, 12:13 AM   #18
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User

I take requip 2mg and it does not work well for me. The only thing that work for me is to walk and try to sleep later. Keep coming up with the info. Looking forward to them.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:33 AM   #19
(female)

Rubyslipper1955 HB User

Since you are getting so little help from your doctor, I have a suggestion. Go to www.rls.org and look at all the information there. Educate yourself on what you have, what medications are available and what treatment options there are. There is a brochure you can copy that gives all the current meds used to treat RLS. There is also one that can be taken to your doctor. Then insist your doctor get with it and help you or find another doctor. You deserve better than this, no matter where you live. I have lived with this most of my life and understand how horrible it can be. If you need help with the website, let me know.

The following user gives a hug of support to Rubyslipper1955:
vjzam (09-17-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Rubyslipper1955 For This Useful Post:
vjzam (09-17-2011)
Old 09-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #20
(female)

sallylou66 HB User

After years of trying everything, I find I can take the smallest dose of Mirapex along with an extremely high dose of Magnesium....I actually take five magnesium pills (400 mg's each) with my Mirapex at least two hours before bedtime. Works better than anything else I've tried so far. It at least is under control. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
Sally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonnard View Post
Thank you [Dee088 and Swanick2 (Jean)] very much for the words! You have no idea how much it was important to me.
I don't feel alone anymore... Thanks!
What is iron transfusion?
As remember (the doctor telling me), my ferritin (what is it - ferritin?) is okay, but my iron is (or was a month ago) too low: 28.
What does it mean (28 of iron)? Is it really too low for me (6'0'' and 188 pounds)?
After 11 or 12 days of sleep deprivation (not sleeping at all), I finally slept yesterday - I took two pills of Rivotril/Navotrax (Clonazepam). But, on the other hand, now I am feeling dizzy and weak.
Thanks again,

Leo.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #21
(male)

nomoresuffering HB Usernomoresuffering HB Usernomoresuffering HB Usernomoresuffering HB Usernomoresuffering HB User

I have found a way to get rid of rls that works for me. I eat a yogurt every day in the mid-morning. That's it! I've tested this out several times over the last couple years, and every time it's the same. When I stop eating yogurt it takes about two weeks and my rls returns just as severe as it was before I started eating yogurt (in both the arm & legs for me). Then when I eat yogurt every day, after about two weeks the rls is gone. It took my wife and I about 3 years of testing my diet by slowly adding and subracting foods before we hit on this and my life hasn't been the same since. I almost never get rls as long as I eat my yogurt and when I do it's so mild that it doesn't really bother me. Give it a try. I hope it works for you the way it's worked for me. Good luck!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nomoresuffering For This Useful Post:
miwico (12-01-2011), vjzam (09-28-2011)
Old 09-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #22
(female)

vjzam HB User

Will give it a try, also sometimes try to work out if anything I eat/drink increases/decreases the attacks, I am an advocate of iron and magnesium additives of any sort which have really helped reduce the severity of the problem, does it matter if yoghurt is flavoured/full cream etc. or will any yoghurt do the trick ?

Old 09-25-2011, 03:26 AM   #23
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresuffering View Post
I have found a way to get rid of rls that works for me. I eat a yogurt every day in the mid-morning. That's it! I've tested this out several times over the last couple years, and every time it's the same. When I stop eating yogurt it takes about two weeks and my rls returns just as severe as it was before I started eating yogurt (in both the arm & legs for me). Then when I eat yogurt every day, after about two weeks the rls is gone. It took my wife and I about 3 years of testing my diet by slowly adding and subracting foods before we hit on this and my life hasn't been the same since. I almost never get rls as long as I eat my yogurt and when I do it's so mild that it doesn't really bother me. Give it a try. I hope it works for you the way it's worked for me. Good luck!
Oh my! You are right! I started eating yogurt for about a week now and haven't had an attack and was wondering why! I use to eat yogurt now and again in the past but now eat one mid-morning and sometimes after dinner. I will continue so to see if the attacks come back or not. But right now I agree with you 100%. Thanks for the info! Other should try this. I eat flavored yogurt. Pina colada and peach is my fav. I no longer take requip!

Old 09-28-2011, 03:40 AM   #24
(female)

loveourplanet2 HB User

According to my mom, I have had it since I was born. Very badly, I think. I get it in my ankles, legs and feet as well as my wrists and arms. I have to pace all night or bang on my legs or swing my arms while rotating my wrists wildly. Reminds me of being back in the sixties. er... when I was about two. I used to cry with it as a child. It also hits me during the day sometimes, like in a theater or restaurant. I have tried many things over the years and now enjoy a tub with built-in spa faucets which annihilates it at once. If I stay in until the water is cold, it usually will not come back. The other thing that I have found that keeps it at bay so that it is not so bad or often is calcium. Do you think the yogurt could be addressing your RLS' craving for calcium? Calcium really is relaxing.
I can't take Benadryl and when I had the flu very badly a few years ago and had to be hospitalized, they gave me a big IV dose of phenergan and I was miserable for days after that nonstop. Along with flu was not funny. Also all cold meds with decongestant bother it and put it in a very grumpy mood. Nothing else has worked for me even a little bit.

The following user gives a hug of support to loveourplanet2:
vjzam (09-28-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #25
(female)

vjzam HB User

Tried it last night, got a few hours sleep, so hope it continues to improve

Closed Thread