It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 06:29 AM   #1
(female)

whenever HB User
Unhappy gabapentin

has anybody used generic gabapentin for restless legs and if so what are the doses 600mg is not enough for me at bedtime. I at my wits end looking for the right medicine

The Following User Says Thank You to whenever For This Useful Post:
gayle4sleep (09-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
(female)

nicelady HB Usernicelady HB User
Re: gabapentin

I have been using it for neuropathy in my feet. I am now up to 600mg 3 times a day which seems to work for me. Somewhere else I read that you have to get your dosage up for it to work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
(male)

malfield HB User

Gabapentin needs to be taken 3X/day to be effective. Worked for both my RLS and foot neuropathy. I switched to Lyrica which is only required 2X/day. It's much more expensive than generic gabapetin, but I can't remember 3X/day. I tried Horizant which is extended release and only required 1X/day, but it wasn't potent enough for me and I went back to Lyrica at 200 mg 2X/day.
I also take 0.5 mg of Pramipexole, the generic Mirapex.
I had severe RLS which has been 100% under control for the past 18 months.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
(male)

19kermith63529 HB User

ever tried MirapexER 1.5 MG half Of Pill 3 Hours Before Sleep i had a very bad problem with my legs couldn't sleep because legs would go uncontrollable in kicking motion

Old 04-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
(male)

malfield HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19kermith63529 View Post
ever tried MirapexER 1.5 MG half Of Pill 3 Hours Before Sleep i had a very bad problem with my legs couldn't sleep because legs would go uncontrollable in kicking motion
I have a bottle of Mirapex ER, 0.75 mg, to be taken 1X/day before bed. I haven't tried to use them because the 0.5 mg of regular Pramipexole (generic Mirapex) has worked well. My RLS affects my whole body as well as my legs. It's more of a burning and electric shock feeling than twitching and there is pain involved, making sleep impossible. I also have neuropathy in the bottom of my feet. The Lyrica and Pramipexole together take care of both body and legs. Not sure which one does what. Been ok now for 18+ months.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
(male)

Mikeh66 HB UserMikeh66 HB User

I hope this is not too late for you but I will reply in hopes I can help. I suffered from RLS since 1978 with it becoming more frequent every year until it got to the point that I was ready to put a bullet in my head.

Also during these years my back pain became increasingly worse and then a minor rear end collision really put me over the edge for my lumbar pain.

I will get to the point I was placed on methadone for my chonic lumbar pain and I have not had one bit of RLS since. I went 12 hours without a pill and wham my RLS kicked. I quickly took 3 10mg tablets and in an hour I was back to normal.

God bless and good luck from Mikeh66

Old 11-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #7
(male)

OhioGuy22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whenever View Post
has anybody used generic gabapentin for restless legs and if so what are the doses 600mg is not enough for me at bedtime. I at my wits end looking for the right medicine
Does nothing for me. Seems like it makes it worse. I'm also searching for answers to this common problem.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
(male)

Hi, here is my experience with RLS.

I have chronic back pain and ischial problems. A very long story short. I take gabapentin for the ischial problem and Methadone for he back.

I went to detox last year and got off drugs. It turns out that methadone is a cure for RLS while you are on it and I am back on both drugs.

I sleep all night and never experience RLS.

Good luck and God bless

Mikeh66

Old 11-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #9
(male)

Ohio Guy, did you see my post re: Methadone and RLS........ anyhow I was prescribed Methadone for back pain and it completely stopped my RLS.

God bless and good luck

Reply Reply