It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
(female)

TeenyXo HB User
Unhappy RLS taking control of my life :'(

I am a twenty year old girl, very healthy (until recently).
A few months ago i was admitted to the hospital for appendicitis. A couple of weeks after removing my appendix, they discovered that i developed an abscess (an infection in my stomach from the surgery) For a few weeks or so i had a drain in my stomach. During all of this time, i was in and out of the hospital for a month. I had to drop out of school and was pretty depressed. During that time i had gone from Morphine & Dilaudid, and when i went home i was on Norcos. I had strong narcotics in my system for over a month. One day i decided to stop the Norco cold turkey. BAD idea. Fever,Chills,Insomnia,Aches, EVERYTHING!!

Shortly after i was prescribed TRAMADOL. I was taking two or three a day for about a month, and then moved to one a day. And then the Dr. recommended i stop. So i did cold turkey (another bad idea). As soon as Norco and/or Tramadol was out of my system i developed this awful crawling, feeling in my legs AND arms. Eventually i was diagnosed with RLS and prescribed 0.125 mg of Mirapax (one in the morning, three at night)
This didnt work so i was prescribed Neurontin 300 mg.
One in the morning one at night.
I have only been on this med for a few days...but i'm not finding any relief...is it to soon to tell?

Things to keep in mind:
I have been taking 1 pill of tramadol every other day for relief. But as soon as i miss a pill my legs go crazy. Could the tramadol have something to do with my RLS? In other words, if cleaned my system of all tramadol and made it through withdrawal, would the RLS meds then work better?

Also, I don't drink caffeine, I do yoga everyday (sometimes several times a day), I take Vitamins and Iron supplements.
I also take hot baths, use a heating pad, ace bandages don't work for me, AND i eat bananas for potassium.

Aside from the tramadol concern, my other question is: How long did it take for you to notice relief from taking Neurontin, and how many (mg and pills) works for you?

To anyone who read this long thread, Thankyou.
You have no idea how much ANY help is appreciated.

Xo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
(male)

jimisimo HB User
Re: RLS taking control of my life :'(

Hi Teeny,
Your in luck,this is the first time I've been to this
group. Here is a guaranteed solution:Go to any big drugstore
at the pain dept and ask for a TENS UNIT.It's about the size of
a cellphone with 2 leads coming from it with pads on the end.
It works by battery giving electronic pulses which stimulates
the body's own endorphines. Place the pads behind the knees
on C setting for about 20 to 30 mins.before you settle down to
sleep (easy to do in bed while you read).Next morning,you'll
wake up NOT having been disturbed by the dreaded jumping
of the legs! It's about $30-35 depending where bought.
I assure you its worth every nickel!
Sleep Well,
jimisimo

Old 12-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
(female)

jimmylegs13 HB User

Hi Teeny, I've just joined this forum... had RLS for 30+ years and never thought of looking for a forum until today. My RLS pretty much rules my life too. I've tried Mirapex. It helped for about a month until my system got used to it and it quickly stopped working. However, if I use it only now and then, for things like plane travel, etc. it works well. Have also tried Requip whih is similar to Mirapex with no better results. Clonazepam by itself is a little helpful but not great. I also tried amitriptyline which completely took my symptoms away for about 6 months, then they returned quickly.

I was on Neurontin for about 3 years and switched over to Lyrica which is a similar drug. They both gave me what I would say was about a 60 - 70% reduction in symptoms. However, my reasons for coming off of both the Neurontin and Lyrica were because they made my mind cloudy and I had some difficulty with concentration - it was affecting my accuracy at work significantly. They both made me extremely forgetful.

Now I'm on codeine 30 - 60 mg each evening - it has provided good relief, but not total. I supplement with .5 mg of clonazepam in the evening. Tramadol would likely have a similar effect to the codeine, both are effective for RLS. You will very likely notice a worsening of symptoms if you come off of it.

However, would Tramadol cause the RLS... I have no idea.

If you can tolerate the Neurontin stick with it along with the Tramadol.

The reality of RLS is that many people have to change the type of therapy they're on every few months or so. Keep trying. Do lots of your own research and ask your doctor a lot of questions.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
(male)

nomoresuffering HB Usernomoresuffering HB Usernomoresuffering HB Usernomoresuffering HB Usernomoresuffering HB User

Hi Teeny, go see my post 'Restless Leg Syndrome Cure for Me'. Also, bananas are one of the foods that give me rls. Sometimes, vitamins do too, since I eat a very balanced diet.

Closed Thread