It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2002, 10:21 AM   #1
e-man

Post Does Magnesium help?

I was reading an article that people with RLS typically have a magnesium deficiency and that taking it would help. Has anyone had any luck with this?

Old 07-24-2002, 02:19 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
I was told the same thing so I started taking magnesium but then also started taking iron (for another reason) and my legs seem to be getting better but now not sure which one it is that's helping. Because I have also heard that low iron could cause RLS.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2002, 10:26 AM   #3

grni23 HB User
I had low iron levels due to anemia. So I started taking iron supplements, but the jumpy legs were still there. Then I found out about the role that calcium and magnesium play in this problem, and decided to give it a try. After a couple of days I could sleep without having all the twitching, jumping, & foot jiggling. It takes a total of about 1000 mg. of calcium and 400 mg of magnesium a day to keep it under control. Three tablets a day, 1 with each meal. Good Luck!

Old 09-16-2002, 02:45 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
I gave up taking the magnesium but continue to take my iron and I do not have any more problems with my legs.
Thank goodness! I didn't think anything was going to help me.

Old 10-09-2002, 09:54 AM   #5

Meloria HB User
I have started taking a Magnesium, Calcium, Zinc supplement. I have noticed a change in my restless legs after 5 days. the only side effect I see is that I'm a little constipated and my feces is a blackish green color. Is that normal?

Old 10-13-2002, 12:57 PM   #6
Veteran

buck58 HB User
Thumbs up

I've had RLS for years and was on sinemet for along time. A few months back I started taking ginkgo biloba for another reason, Also around the same time I started taking ZMA, which has 400mgs. of magnesium in it. Guess what my RLS is "gone", and I had it "everyday" for yrs. I'm now in the process of determening which supplement stopped it. But it's gone and I love it. I'll let everyone know as soon as I've figured it out. see ya, buck.

Old 10-15-2002, 10:29 AM   #7
(female)

Country Girl HB User
Question

What is ZMA?

Old 10-16-2002, 03:06 PM   #8
Veteran

buck58 HB User
Lightbulb

Hi country girl, ZMA is:
Zinc monomethionine.
Magnesium (aspartate).
Vitamin B6.

buck.

Old 10-16-2002, 04:44 PM   #9
(female)

Country Girl HB User
Question

Okay, where do you buy it? Is that the real name of it? ZMA?

Old 10-18-2002, 02:38 PM   #10
Veteran

buck58 HB User
Lightbulb

You can buy it at any store that sells sports supplements. It's mainly used by bodybuilders to help raise there testosterone. I've kinda got a idea that this is not what you're looking to do. Anyway, my point was,in my last reply, that it was the 400mgs. of magnesium in this supplement that possibly helped my RLS, and you can find magnesium supplements everywhere. If I can help any further, don't be afraid to write. Best of luck to you, buck.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #11
(female)

bettybuns HB User
Cool Re: Does Magnesium help?

Hi, I am only 34 have had RLS for years and they has recently gotten really bad. My doctor did all the test and tried calrate, vitiam D and checked my iron levels, nothing seemed to help. I recently just went into a health store and they recommended trying "Vitiam D" or "Magnesium" since I tried the first one I thought I would try Magnesuim and let me tell you I can finally sleep it's only been a week but every night my legs are getting better. I take Magnesium Oxide 835mg "Swiss Natural Sources" that you can get at your local drug store. I highly sugguest you try this is does make a difference thank God!!!!! Happy sleeping.

Last edited by bettybuns; 10-09-2007 at 04:28 PM. Reason: spelling error

Old 10-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #12
(female)

DeannaSusannah HB User
Re: Does Magnesium help?

I took someone's suggestion and added magnesium to my long list of drugs. While I can't know if it helps at night because I still take all of my RLS drugs, I have noticed that I haven't had the relatively new early onset of RLS in the late afternoon. This is wonderful because I didn't want to add another mg of Klonopin to my regimen. I think I'll try to taper - with my doctors help. That's kind of scary. I've been on Klonopin for 10-12 years. Wish me luck.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:17 AM   #13
(female)

ModemMomma HB User
Smile Re: Does Magnesium help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettybuns View Post
Hi, I am only 34 have had RLS for years and they has recently gotten really bad. My doctor did all the test and tried calrate, vitiam D and checked my iron levels, nothing seemed to help. I recently just went into a health store and they recommended trying "Vitiam D" or "Magnesium" since I tried the first one I thought I would try Magnesuim and let me tell you I can finally sleep it's only been a week but every night my legs are getting better. I take Magnesium Oxide 835mg "Swiss Natural Sources" that you can get at your local drug store. I highly sugguest you try this is does make a difference thank God!!!!! Happy sleeping.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:23 AM   #14
(female)

ModemMomma HB User

Legs bothering you? Mine were for years... I went to the local natural food store she recommended trying Magnesium Oxide 835mg "Swiss Natural Sources I highly sugguest you try this is does make a difference. I stopped taking it for 2 months to see if this was actually making a difference. After 3 weeks I had really bad legs pains 24/7. I couldn't believe the pain I had during the day. I started Magnesium Oxide 835mg Swiss Natural Sources again and within 2 days my legs were fine. I know from experience. This works..

Last edited by ModemMomma; 11-24-2007 at 01:26 AM. Reason: double sentenced.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:42 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User

where can I buy this Swiss Natural Sources magnesium? I live in the US and cannot seem to find it here. thanks

Closed Thread