It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2002, 07:16 AM   #1

Hops HB User
Post Joining The Club!

Hi, Movers and Shakers!

A friend sent me this message board site, and I could really use a few friends that REALLY UNDERSTAND how horrible RLS/PLMD can be.

Brief history: I am a 33 year old female. I am married, and have three boys under the age of 7. I am a homemaker and enjoy baking too. I've experienced RLS here and there over the past 6 years - but usually only during the last few months of my pregnancies. When the OB presribed Benadryl to calm me, it made me WORSE. After the last baby, it all went away.

Next......after years of back pain, I finally underwent major back surgery. It was a success and I now do not suffer ANY daily back pain like I used to. What a miracle! I WAS on heavy doses of pain killers for approx. 1 year UP TO the date of surgery, and on lots of pain killers/muscle relaxers for approx. 4-5 months AFTER surgery during my physical therapy.

IT WAS WHEN I WENT OFF ALL PAIN MEDICINE that I began to experience the RLS again. This time it was much more intense and serious. I thought I was "coming off" of the medicine but my family doctor said "No - you've been gradually coming off those and your body is no longer addicted." Anyway.....the restless legs started moving into my torse/arms and I felt like I was going to spin off the face of the earth.

To sum up: My family doctor said my symptoms (the way I describe it) is classic for PLMD (and possibly RLS also). He prescribed Mirapex in the very lowest dosage possible and..........IT WORKED THE VERY FIRST NIGHT! It was a miracle all over again! Then, after 5 months of taking it, one pill was not enough. I waking up about midnight with nervous legs. I went up to two pills and now......sleep just fine.

I am worried about this "future" increase of pills. I am also concerned that the REAL PROBLEM is not being addressed. I really feel in my heart that this could be a "hormone" issue also since.......there are 3-4 days of the month that the RLS/PLMD is at its worst - and that is the 3-5 days BEFORE my period. (funny that when my hormones were higher during the last 3 months of my pregnancies......the RLS was bad too)! I believe there is a connection.

I wonder if I shouldn't get a hormone work-up from my GYN. Thanks for listening. Look forward to reading from others experiences too.

Hops
Illinois

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2002, 09:11 PM   #2

sleepthief HB User
Cool

Hi Hops
Hope you have been getting some relief.
I am a 29 y.o. mother of two boys aged 3 1/2 and 6 months. I too had terrible RLS during the last trimester of each pregnancy - impossible to sleep! It has also escalated since I had the Implanon contraceptive implant inserted at my six week post birth check up - so I think there may be a hormonal connection. I mentioned this to my sleep physician who said that there still was not enough evidence to make this issue a fact, but if enough of us report it - they may just start taking it seriously!
At the moment, all they can do is treat the RLS symptoms with dopamine receptor type substances, like the Murapex, etc. My doctor said that RLS was relatively unheard of 5 years ago, so treatments are still in there trial and error stages.
Here's hoping they come up with something bullet proof real soon.

Old 01-06-2003, 03:24 AM   #3

clairety HB User
'ello - am 33 with a three and a half year old, and nearly about to deposit a second babe... have had RLS for... years, pre-first child. didn't know it was anything 'real' until recently.

like you both, it has been hellacious this last bit of pregnancy (or, Seems worse - my husband in a separate bed thinks it has been consistent!)... nice way to start off with a new babe, huh, with total sleep deprevation? (that all started with the RLS in the first pregnancy and hasn't gone away!)...

am affected all day, lying or sitting; the greatest need is to flex (and crack an ankle on one leg and a knee on the other) and jiggle to relieve the 'build up' of energy. the only way i don't feel it is standing/walking...

don't really do 'meds' (however, have been on anti-depressants for over 3 years, which can aggravate symptoms, as well), so do not want to go near that option, especially since it seems so hit and miss, and transient.

i have tried homeopathic zinc (zincum metallicum), as the symptoms seemed the most indicitive for it; it seems to have helped off and on. herbal valerian tincture tried periodically to induce sleep (also a nervine (relaxant)), but, it is hit and miss, too.

Midwife suggested that EFA (essential fatty acids ie: flax seed oil, etc.) would help, but, not in my case.

so, can't really peg anything down that works consistently. sometimes feel so desperate and crazy!! especially with the impending arrival of another child!!

thanks - just wanted to share also (just found this - decided i needed to do something productive while deprived of sleep!)

Old 01-08-2003, 05:04 AM   #4

Hops HB User
Hello Canada and Australia!

Nice to know there a couple of mothers out there who know what I am talking about. I logged onto this board after a good friend e-mailed it to me. And after I signed on and no one said "hello" or anything, I figured it wasn't much of a supportive board. I have been checking back here and there and was so happy to see that someone responded to me.

I have a good feeling that one of these days, you'll see some doc's sitting up and looking into the fact that hormones may play a a significant role in SOME people's RLS/PLMD.

Right now......I am at a place where I'm just mad and disgusted that I have "something" like this at the age of 34. It's hard for me to believe that I really have to take this Mirapex for the rest of my life! Ugh!

Hope you write back soon! Would love to hear more from the both of you!!! ))

I'm from central Illinois by the way!

Hop

Old 01-09-2003, 09:31 AM   #5

clairety HB User
Smile

hi, hops!

isolation (while going thro' anything) can almost make the actual thing worse, huh? glad you wrote back.. i, too, have felt crazed by RLS and how it wreaks havoc on my life.

i was glad to read that you have been absolved of your back pain, etc.! what a life-altering thing that must have been, especially with children.

until recently, i just thought i had some non-nameable twitch and have called it 'dance leg' for years... actually came across the RLS.org website and was amazed that it was a condition. But, almost more frustrated since there is nothing cut and dry about it.

from what i have gleaned, as you must have from these boards, that menses and pregnancy can exasperate the symtpoms - so, i am with you on the possible hormone connection.

Also, the iron connection. since the last three months of pregnancy, you are giving more iron to your babe ('cos they store it for their first six months to use), you are going to be depleted unless you eat lots of liver (yum!!) or take an absorbable supplement. and, iron takes some sort of dip when you mense. (i haven't noticed how the RLS with that, since i am pretty irregular, and pretty obtuse about my body signs sometimes!!)

i am already on meds for depression (post-partum gone haywire) and abhore meds in the first place, so don't want to go that route. plus, i *am certain*, that somehow this can be dealt with naturally (felt/feel that way about the depression, too, but, after being off of meds a few times, i felt it was the best thing i could do at the moment, especially with expecting another).

your body is probably happy to be off all the meds you were on pre/post surgery! if mirapex is doing the trick now, go with it for a bit... with time, there has to be some conclusive evidence on how to deal with this, other than with non-specific drugs that may or may not work and require increases to continue working...

anyway, i am rambling my patootie off!! just wanted to touch base and say 'yay!' - am glad, above all, that you are a mum, too...

take care and hope to talk again!
clairety

Closed Thread