It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2002, 04:15 PM   #1
Inactive

Calixte_Silas HB User
Question RLS & Celexa

Hey everyone,
about a year and a half ago, I started taking Celexa for depression. 60mg a day. Shortly after beginning my meds, i began to bounce my leg up and down whenever I sat still. Usually both legs at the same time, very rapidly. I never did this before I started taking the medication. Well I quit the meds, and the bouncing legs went away mostly- sometimes I still did it, but less rapid, and less often- more out of habit I think.
Well I'm back on Celexa again, and I have my bouncing legs back. I even wiggle my toes when I can't bounce my legs. I dont' even do it consciously. People HATE sitting next to me in theatres- because I can't stop my legs. As long as I'm thinking about not moving them i'm OK- but as soon as my attention goes back to the movie or whatever- my legs begin to bounce again.
My question is this: Has anyone else had this problem on Celexa medication- and is there any way to stop it? Is there any medication to stop RLS?
Thanks so much.

Old 12-22-2002, 09:00 PM   #2

sleepthief HB User
Cool

There are varying medications to treat RLS, but I would be more inclined to look at changing medications for the depression, because what you have written suggests that your RLS is only present when you take the Celexar. There are many different groups of anti-depressants out there, so perhaps tell your doctor about the RLS symptoms that you have on your current anti-depressant so that he/she will change it.
Hope you get some relief.

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2002, 10:01 AM   #3
Inactive

Calixte_Silas HB User
I don't really want to switch meds, because the medication I'm on right now has the least amoount of side effects. (According to my doctor.) So rather than switch to someting with more side effects just to get rid of RLS, i'd rather try to treat the RLS while staying on my current meds.

Old 12-23-2002, 02:56 PM   #4

sleepthief HB User
Cool

There are many varying treatments for RLS ranging from non-prescription to prescription drugs. Try the non prescription methods first. These are iron, calcium and magnesium. It is worth having a blood test to see where your iron levels are at because low iron levels have been linked to worsened RLS symptoms. Take at least 100mg of elemental iron. This means look at the side of the bottle at the ingredients listings. A 300mg iron pills bottle will probably contain about 105mg of elemental iron. The remaining 195mg is other minerals which helps the body absorb the iron. Also take 1500mg of elemental calcium and 600mg of elemental magnesium. Studies have proven that taking these in large doses has proven beneficial results.
The most common prescription drugs used to treat RLS are Mirapex (Pramipexole) and Permax (Pergolide) which are both used to treat Parkinson's disease. As with the situation with your anti-depressants, these drugs come with side effects - so again, a lot of trial and error is involved. Some of the other entries have shared there experiences of these drugs.
Hope this has been some help to you http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

Old 12-23-2002, 07:55 PM   #5

sleepthief HB User
Cool

Just found a really good web site that may answer some of your questions http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/idea.gif
it's [url="http://www.rls.org"]www.rls.org[/url]

Have a happy holiday season http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

Old 01-19-2003, 06:20 PM   #6

pjo HB User
I suffered with RLS for several years and tried different medications until I hit on the right one. My doctor prescribed clonodine - a blood pressure medicine but at a low dosage. I haven't been bothered by RLS since I started taking it.

Closed Thread