It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Restless Leg Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2003, 01:44 PM   #1

ashmir HB User
Question My RLS is getting worse! Help!

Hi. I am 38 years old. I have have had RLS for about 4 years now and it seems to be getting worse! My leg or legs feel like a rubberband is inside being pulled tight, and then released! That's when the uncontolable jerking happens! After I went to the doc, he perscribed a low dose of Permax. I was taking one at dinnertime. About a year ago, I noticed that it wasn't working as well, I still had tremors when I went to bed at night. So, I began taking 2 pills at dinner time. Lately, I have noticed that I can not even lay down to relax in the afternoons without my leg/s jerking! Sometimes I just want to lay down and relax and I can't! I also, sometimes, wake up in the mornings with my leg/s jerking. It is driving me crazy! I don't want to up my meds anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions as to any other way that I can control the jerking?
Thank you!

Old 04-16-2003, 12:00 PM   #2

voeckswagon HB User
Thumbs up

Hi there. I too suffer with restless leg syndrome. Mine for some reason, seems to be worse at night or when I'm tired. It's almost impossible to for me to fall asleep at night.
Quite accidently I recently found something that helped. It sounds pretty goofy...but it's worth a try, right?
When I start gettin the awful feeling in my legs...I lay on my stomach and my husband "karate chops" up and down the back of my legs. I know...it's sounds ridiculous, but after he does it for awhile, it really helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2003, 10:12 AM   #3

keekeebee HB User
I wonder if you are having a similar reaction to Permax, which I had had with Mirapex. I just posted a message on the topic next to yours. I am fearful that the drugs used to treat RLS have addictive properties, making the so call "cure" worse than the malady. Sleeping for me has virtually become impossible. I am guessing that it may take at least a month before the body corrects the damage done by the medication. I don't believe that the medical world has a grip on the situation. I am beginning to think that it is a money making operation whereby the doctors and the pharmachutical companies offer us false panaceas, which in the long run, do more harm than good.

Old 04-28-2003, 10:04 AM   #4

Linda Hively HB User
I just wrote back on this board to sugar and R L S. I have been taking Alpha Lipoic acid for about a year now and if I am near running out my husband will remind me how bad it used to be and I'd better get my stuff. ( as he calls it ) Also B-Stress P.M. and a cup of sleepytime tea by Celestial Seasonings right after dinner. It's a kind of routine that I've gotten into and it sure beats the way you feel with meds.The B-Sterss is supposed to be very good for muscles and nerves. But it doesn't smell very good at all. Because it has Valerian Root in it. I am not some health nut or anything it's just with trial and error and talking to my Neurologist this is what works best for me. I am taking 250 mgs. 2x a day. My sister is at 250 one time a day.
Linda

Old 05-30-2003, 12:00 PM   #5

gyana HB User
to keekeebee, yes, i have had the same reaction, not to Permax, but to Mirapex (.375 per night) I have developed such intense insomnia, that often it seems as if i dont sleep at all. Pretty ragged so much of the time. Have tried what the neurologist suggest: Klonopin, more Mirapex, i even had some percocet for pain and took that one night. The result was sleep, but feeling like a zombie next day. I am still searcxhing....

Old 05-30-2003, 02:47 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
I tried 4 different meds before finally being prescribed iron. I take 325mg iron twice a day and that has helped my RLS. It took awhile before it finally helped but at least it helped where no medications could. Good luck!

Closed Thread